The Student Room Group

Books to read and compare?

Hey guys, just wanted to know if you guys had any tips for good books to compare and contrast for A2 English literature?? At AS I studied Gatsby and the kite runner, neither of which I really enjoyed... I've read 1984, treasure island and a great modern book called junk so far, but I don't want to start another book if it will not end up going anywhere (i need detailed notes on my chosen books by the time I go back to school in like two weeks) so I really need to sort out some good books! Any advice would be much appreciated 😊
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Original post by Matt19-96
Hey guys, just wanted to know if you guys had any tips for good books to compare and contrast for A2 English literature?? At AS I studied Gatsby and the kite runner, neither of which I really enjoyed... I've read 1984, treasure island and a great modern book called junk so far, but I don't want to start another book if it will not end up going anywhere (i need detailed notes on my chosen books by the time I go back to school in like two weeks) so I really need to sort out some good books! Any advice would be much appreciated ������

You've just contradicted yourself. Firstly you said you don't want to start another book, but then you said you really need to sort out some good books? I don't understand what your post is initially asking.
Hey guys, just wanted to know if you guys had any tips for good books to compare and contrast for A2 English literature?? At AS I studied Gatsby and the kite runner, neither of which I really enjoyed... I've read 1984, treasure island and a great modern book called junk so far, but I don't want to start another book if it will not end up going anywhere (i need detailed notes on my chosen books by the time I go back to school in like two weeks) so I really need to sort out some good books! Any advice would be much appreciated

Do you know what your module is called? That would help a lot.

I studied We Need to Talk About Kevin and I loved it, I used it for my extended essay. Will take you a while to read.

I read Gone Girl very quickly but I don't know if your teachers would appreciate that, it has had a lot of hype. However it is good for postmodernism, pastiche (different themes), different styles of writing and there will be a lot online about it.
Reply 4
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
You've just contradicted yourself. Firstly you said you don't want to start another book, but then you said you really need to sort out some good books? I don't understand what your post is initially asking.

Sorry for the confusion, I meant I don't really want a book that I would finish and then just think 'that was a waste of time'. I'm reading one at the moment that isn't so great so I don't really want to repeat it when the start of the year is getting closer!
Reply 5
Original post by EloiseStar
Do you know what your module is called? That would help a lot.

I studied We Need to Talk About Kevin and I loved it, I used it for my extended essay. Will take you a while to read.

I read Gone Girl very quickly but I don't know if your teachers would appreciate that, it has had a lot of hype. However it is good for postmodernism, pastiche (different themes), different styles of writing and there will be a lot online about it.

Sorry this may seem really stupid but what do you mean by module?

ive heard good things about we need to talk about kevin so I'll definitely look into that, and I've never heard of the other one if I'm honest! I'll make sure to google it. Thanks!
Sorry this may seem really stupid but what do you mean by module?

ive heard good things about we need to talk about kevin so I'll definitely look into that, and I've never heard of the other one if I'm honest! I'll make sure to google it. Thanks!

What is the course called? I was doing AQA (I think :confused:) 'Love through the Ages' so Kevin was good for maternal, parental, romantic love.
Kevin is slow to get into and very long so you may struggle to read it between now and September.
Sorry for the confusion, I meant I don't really want a book that I would finish and then just think 'that was a waste of time'. I'm reading one at the moment that isn't so great so I don't really want to repeat it when the start of the year is getting closer!

Did you say you were doing 1984 and The Great Gatsby?

Which one are you reading? Have you decided what your essay will be focused on? How about your Shakespearean text? Which one is it?

Will your essay be based on the thematic link of Love or an alternative theme?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending