The Student Room Group

What chances do I have??

[Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place]

I got my AS results back last week and managed AAC in my 3 main subjects (with one of the As being about 95% UMS + the C only a tiny bit off of a B). So far this puts me in a good position to apply for ABB/AAB courses... however, I'm in that position where I have horrific GCSEs (4 Bs + 1 C) but decent A levels.

Basically, what chances, if any, do I have with those kind of GCSE grades--which I do sort of have a reason for: I went to the worst school in my area and did about as well as I could under the circumstances--of getting into a university like Kent, for example, where my preferred course asks for ABB?? Would a good personal statement + predictions most likely above the offer be able to salvage my chances.
Decent chance.
Reply 2
Don’t panic.

My GCSE results were: ABBBBBBBCC
My AS results were: ACDD

4 out of the 5 universities I applied to were Russell Group Universities (entry requirements all AAB/ABB) and only 1 wasn't (BBB). I got 5/5 offers in just over 2 weeks (I sent my application in late November). One of my offers was actually an AAB course at Kent.

My teachers quite easily gave me predicted grades of ABB, which I think was down to the fact that I always tried my best even though I'm not that clever haha!

I worked hard for a good 5 months on my Personal Statement (editing it most days from June - Nov 2013) and believe that’s where my offers came from, because my grades were all so pathetically average.

I ended up getting BCC in my A Levels and my insurance choice still accepted me even though I missed the entry requirements by a LONG shot. I didn’t even have to ring up, I’d already been offered the place when I checked UCAS Track on the morning of results day.

I'm now just faced with the regret of not working harder, because I know I could have done much better. Don't get cocky once you've got your offers like I did!

There is hope, just prove through your PS that you are more than your grades.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
similar, but I am really panic, what to do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LeeH96
Would a good personal statement + predictions most likely above the offer be able to salvage my chances.

Congratulations on your AS grades

If your school (or your GCSE school) is poor then you may be eligible for access considerations

Your predictions and PS will be important but this could help

http://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/uploads/Access-schemes-to-Russell-Group-universities.pdf

I only have experience of the Leeds programme
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply