The Student Room Group

Urgently need to lose body fat!!!

I'm overweight and tired of it. I dont know how I got overweight in the first place. I weigh around 90kg and I'm 5ft10In and 16 years old, male.

I am seriously motivated to lose weight right now and nows the time.

I need your advice on where I begin for rapid weight loss overall mainly belly fat and torso fat.

I need advice on excersices I can do at home that are efficient and will deliver unlike all these stupid myths. I have started eating less but im lost on what excersices to do.

Really appreciate any help!
Reply 1
Great exercise, even better dietary choices and unwavering determination is the key. It will not take too long to see some change but it's much more realistic to aim for a lower body fat percentage over a large period of time whilst staying determined and patient. Eating less is the wrong move; you need to sustain your body with plenty of nutrients and this is especially the case when you start exercising regularly. You'd want to boost your metabolism and restricting the amount of food you eat will only lower it, limiting the impact of exercise at a point when your body needs energy. Eating plenty of the right foods is the first and fundamental step of fitness so incorporate a balanced diet with loads of vegetables, heaps of protein and a sufficient amount of carbohydrates (Pasta, rice, brown bread etc.) whilst restricting (Not complete avoidance but controlling) the amount of processed junk and sugar you eat. If you adapt to this sort of dietary guideline then that will go a long way.

Intensive cardio mixed with 3/4 days per week of weights will certainly help your goals of fat loss in conjunction with clean and healthy eating. For cardio, try to mix it up and go with the exercises you enjoy most to keep yourself motivated. Jogging, skipping rope, swimming and cycling are a bunch of options that you could go for. Ease yourself in by starting at a steady pace before you go at an intense pace. It is more beneficial to (For example) go for short but intense jogs regularly than a long jog at a steady one. If you prefer an alternative then perhaps consider picking up a team sport or a martial art. Once a week, I usually play 11-a-side and practice martial arts too, which keeps me motivated instead of just sticking to the same routine of jogging. As for weights, it would be good to join a gym that has a variety of weights equipment and go for short but sharp workouts 3/4 times a week. The internet has loads of exercises that works for different people so just assemble a routine that engages all of your body and adapt it according to the ones you find more efficient or works better for you. Exercises like deadlifts, bench presses, weighted sit ups, squats are definitely good ones to incorporate and information about the correct form for these exercises are easily accessible on the internet. Strength training helps to promote muscle mass whilst helping to lower body fat so definitely make sure you start lifting (But ease yourself in and make sure you're using the correct form when lifting to prevent injury). If there's a budget gym in your area like The Gym or Pure Gym then it would be prudent to join them but there is a gym out there for anyone at any level of income.

There isn't any secret to it and even if you adhere to my advice to the letter, it will take time. It will deliver though, if you remain resilient and keep at it with the aim of a sustainable but constant loss of body fat. Also, keep optimistic, be happy and accept yourself for who you are as you make these chances! I hope this all helps! I definitely know what it is like to be in your position because I used to be in that position around two years ago.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Hertz
I'm overweight and tired of it. I dont know how I got overweight in the first place. I weigh around 90kg and I'm 5ft10In and 16 years old, male.

I am seriously motivated to lose weight right now and nows the time.

I need your advice on where I begin for rapid weight loss overall mainly belly fat and torso fat.

I need advice on excersices I can do at home that are efficient and will deliver unlike all these stupid myths. I have started eating less but im lost on what excersices to do.

Really appreciate any help!

You can't spot reduce fat.

To lose weight: YOUR PERSONAL caloric maintenance level - 600 kcal = YOUR PERSONAL caloric deficit. Now add some form of cardio/ resistance workout to put yourself deeper into a caloric deficit.

Caloric maintenance is the amount of calories your body needs in-order to maintain its weight. Consume a surplus then you will gain weight, consume a deficit and you will lose it.

Track your daily caloric intake. Weigh your food and find out its caloric and nutritional value.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Philzy
Great exercise, even better dietary choices and unwavering determination is the key. It will not take too long to see some change but it's much more realistic to aim for a lower body fat percentage over a large period of time whilst staying determined and patient. Eating less is the wrong move; you need to sustain your body with plenty of nutrients and this is especially the case when you start exercising regularly. You'd want to boost your metabolism and restricting the amount of food you eat will only lower it, limiting the impact of exercise at a point when your body needs energy. Eating plenty of the right foods is the first and fundamental step of fitness so incorporate a balanced diet with loads of vegetables, heaps of protein and a sufficient amount of carbohydrates (Pasta, rice, brown bread etc.) whilst restricting (Not complete avoidance but controlling) the amount of processed junk and sugar you eat. If you adapt to this sort of dietary guideline then that will go a long way.

Intensive cardio mixed with 3/4 days per week of weights will certainly help your goals of fat loss in conjunction with clean and healthy eating. For cardio, try to mix it up and go with the exercises you enjoy most to keep yourself motivated. Jogging, skipping rope, swimming and cycling are a bunch of options that you could go for. Ease yourself in by starting at a steady pace before you go at an intense pace. It is more beneficial to (For example) go for short but intense jogs regularly than a long jog at a steady one. If you prefer an alternative then perhaps consider picking up a team sport or a martial art. Once a week, I usually play 11-a-side and practice martial arts too, which keeps me motivated instead of just sticking to the same routine of jogging. As for weights, it would be good to join a gym that has a variety of weights equipment and go for short but sharp workouts 3/4 times a week. The internet has loads of exercises that works for different people so just assemble a routine that engages all of your body and adapt it according to the ones you find more efficient or works better for you. Exercises like deadlifts, bench presses, weighted sit ups, squats are definitely good ones to incorporate and information about the correct form for these exercises are easily accessible on the internet. Strength training helps to promote muscle mass whilst helping to lower body fat so definitely make sure you start lifting (But ease yourself in and make sure you're using the correct form when lifting to prevent injury). If there's a budget gym in your area like The Gym or Pure Gym then it would be prudent to join them but there is a gym out there for anyone at any level of income.

There isn't any secret to it and even if you adhere to my advice to the letter, it will take time. It will deliver though, if you remain resilient and keep at it with the aim of a sustainable but constant loss of body fat. Also, keep optimistic, be happy and accept yourself for who you are as you make these chances! I hope this all helps! I definitely know what it is like to be in your position because I used to be in that position around two years ago.

Wow. Thanks for that. Some of the best advice Ive had. I saved that and it will be my main guidance. Thank you Sir!

Posted from TSR Mobile
You didn't read the stickies did you?
Reply 5
The only effective way to loose weight and keep it off is to not diet at all. The problem with nearly all diets is they need the dieter to make drastic changes to what the dieter can and can't eat and they are not sustainable because most of them a designed for rapid weight lose and the dieter is always hungry and the diet fails.

You need to stick to a diet that thin people eat everyday and its not even a diet. Stick to 2000 calories a day which is what is the recommended intake for a normal male and you will lose weight and more importantly maintain it. You don't need to exercise to lose weight but it helps.
Calculate your BMR and then TDEE. From your TDEE you create a deficit of however many calories you feel is neccesary. You then eat within that caloric deficit. It's really as simple as that. If you want to do more and exercise, I'd suggest joining a gym and do some resistance training (weight lifting) or cardio. Here is a calculator to find out your TDEE: http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ and then substract your deficit from that, for example, TDEE = 2500, 2500-300= 2200 <--- so, that'll be how many calories to be eating per day.

ALSO, track your calories. It really helps to be meticulous about this sort of thing so that you know that you aren't overeating, and if you hit a plateau (scales suggest you've stopped losing weight) you can begin to slowly increase the deficit (eat less calories) and obviously implementing this tactic is far harder to do when you aren't tracking everything. If you do want to track your calories I suggest using myfitnesspal. Hope this has helped.
calculate tdee from stickies

eat 500-1000 cals below it to lose 1-2 lbs per week
You can try the master cleanse.. Or a simple 3 day detox. Basically you dont eat anything, just drink citrus juice for 3 full days. You can lose 5-7 kg permanently in 3 days.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by kaalinalina
You can try the master cleanse.. Or a simple 3 day detox. Basically you dont eat anything, just drink citrus juice for 3 full days. You can lose 5-7 kg permanently in 3 days.

piss off
Original post by kaalinalina

ahaha ha ha. No you can't. Not only is the idea stupid and dangerous, but since body fat contains 3500 calories per pound, even a heavier highly active male (who might burn 3.5k in a day) would lose only 3lbs (~1.4kg) of permanent body weight. Other factors going on in the body would mask the true weight-loss (over predict it) in the short term, but on resuming normal eating this is all the weight loss you would be left with. This is assuming all the energy is drawn from fat, though you might lose some muscle as well which slightly changes things (for the worse in every respect in the long term). Also the juice itself would have some calories further reducing actual fat loss.

Bottom line is, for the average person, you are over predicting the fat loss they would experience by a good factor of 5. Its also a potentially dangerous crash diet.

@OP- you didn't put the fat on quickly, so don't expect it all to magically go quickly either. You've spent years overeating and accumulating all that fat, so expect a good 6 months- 1 year of dieting to see most of it go!
Reply 11
Original post by Hertz
Wow. Thanks for that. Some of the best advice Ive had. I saved that and it will be my main guidance. Thank you Sir!

Posted from TSR Mobile

No worries! That advice I gave you was pretty much the advice that a friend gave me back when I was an unfit 1st year Fresher and it aided the pursuit of my goals greatly to this day. As I said, just keep at it and develop a regime that works for you. Every once in a while (Maybe every month perhaps) after you get into the habit of regular exercise, modify aspects of your routine to make sure you are continually challenging yourself and to make sure your progress doesn't hit a plateau. Set yourself challenges to improve your running times, slowly increase the amount you are lifting and add/substitute new exercises to freshen up your regime.

I forgot to mention this in my first post but remember to prioritize rest and get plenty of it. Rest days and lots of good sleep are just as necessary as a good diet or exercise routine.
(edited 9 years ago)
Well, if you are going to disregard advice to take it slowly (as I believe you will) then what you will want is to do some sort of PSMF (RFL - Lyle McDonald) as that is likely going to be the safest of the extreme options.
Stop eating so much and move more.

Quick Reply

Latest