The Student Room Group

Constant fatigue ruining my life

For about four or five years now i've been plagued with a daily problem of general exhaustion, muscle fatigue and sleepiness. Basically every day i could easily sleep in until midday and still feel tired, i can fall asleep on command in almost any situation if i just put my head down, and my muscles always feel tired and things like standing up are a lot more effort than they should be.

Now i get plenty of sleep, and i believe it's good quality sleep but nothing seems to help. I've tried regular exercise and this doesn't help. I'm not overweight, i'm fairly fit, and have been told many times this isn't normal for a 21 year old male.

What do i do? My GP said there was nothing he could do.

Scroll to see replies

For starters I'd ask to see a different GP.
Reply 2
Original post by james1211
For about four or five years now i've been plagued with a daily problem of general exhaustion, muscle fatigue and sleepiness. Basically every day i could easily sleep in until midday and still feel tired, i can fall asleep on command in almost any situation if i just put my head down, and my muscles always feel tired and things like standing up are a lot more effort than they should be.

Now i get plenty of sleep, and i believe it's good quality sleep but nothing seems to help. I've tried regular exercise and this doesn't help. I'm not overweight, i'm fairly fit, and have been told many times this isn't normal for a 21 year old male.

What do i do? My GP said there was nothing he could do.

Well being up at 8am is pretty early birdish, unless you work (overwork?) school (bogged down?). Try sleeping tabs like what I take, the pros: you fall asleep fairly fast and peacefully, then wake up refreshed...maybe abnormally refreshed :s-smilie: lol You also go for hours on the dose. Cons: interrupted dosage and you'll feel worse. Also, take a break from the tabs so you don't overdose. I get that sometimes and feel like a zombie.

Also for me personally if I eat heavy early in the day or before sleep it makes it worse. Crashing after heavy food in the early morning or bad sleep/waking up drowsy and lethargic if I eat before bed. I'd avoid caffeines, I haven't had tea, coffee, or soda in over a year straight and just got back on tea earlier this month and it screwed everything up.
See a different GP. They could be very dismissive about fatigue but you need to be persistent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Definitely a different GP as others have said. Maybe a blood test? You seem to be describing anemia.
Reply 5
Original post by ApeMob
Well being up at 8am is pretty early birdish, unless you work (overwork?) school (bogged down?). Try sleeping tabs like what I take, the pros: you fall asleep fairly fast and peacefully, then wake up refreshed...maybe abnormally refreshed :s-smilie: lol You also go for hours on the dose. Cons: interrupted dosage and you'll feel worse. Also, take a break from the tabs so you don't overdose. I get that sometimes and feel like a zombie.

Also for me personally if I eat heavy early in the day or before sleep it makes it worse. Crashing after heavy food in the early morning or bad sleep/waking up drowsy and lethargic if I eat before bed. I'd avoid caffeines, I haven't had tea, coffee, or soda in over a year straight and just got back on tea earlier this month and it screwed everything up.

Zero caffeine in my diet, i can't have it. I usually get out of bed at 07:30 as i work 9-5 five days a week. I've tried mild herbal sleeping tablets and did sleep well but didn't feel any less lethargic during the day.

Original post by donutaud15
See a different GP. They could be very dismissive about fatigue but you need to be persistent.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Huskaris
Definitely a different GP as others have said. Maybe a blood test? You seem to be describing anemia.

Thanks guys i will try a different one. I did have a blood test at my request but i was told everything was normal. I am looking into vitamin B12 deficiency as i have an above average indication of this from a leading doctor/researchers website (25 years research into the condition) but not been formally diagnosed or anything.
Original post by james1211
Zero caffeine in my diet, i can't have it. I usually get out of bed at 07:30 as i work 9-5 five days a week. I've tried mild herbal sleeping tablets and did sleep well but didn't feel any less lethargic during the day.

Thanks guys i will try a different one. I did have a blood test at my request but i was told everything was normal. I am looking into vitamin B12 deficiency as i have an above average indication of this from a leading doctor/researchers website (25 years research into the condition) but not been formally diagnosed or anything.

That could be it. Also get tested for vit d deficiency.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay thanks. I think i'll ring the practice and ask for the actual numbers on the tests i had done, they just told me everything is normal but i'd like to see if i'm near the lower limit or anything too.
Reply 8

Posted from TSR Mobile

:yep:

Oh hey aren't you the one in my other 18+ thread who loves Harry Potter...or is that someone else? :s-smilie: You can reply on my page if you don't wanna derail here but I just thought of it =\
Original post by ApeMob
:yep:

Oh hey aren't you the one in my other 18+ thread who loves Harry Potter...or is that someone else? :s-smilie: You can reply on my page if you don't wanna derail here but I just thought of it =\

Yup that's me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10

Oh just wondering :tongue: I've been hella binging on HP since that thread. I think something's wrong with me :teehee: Which one is your fav? :smile:
Please see another GP. I have a condition that causes extreme fatigue if not treated. There are many reasons why this could be happening, and you need to get to the bottom of it. I had to see GP's who blamed it on stress; be persistent.
Could be many things.

I suffered with the same problem. I took a blood test and I had a low Vitamin D count. I corrected it and started bodybuilding. I used to be 9st and I'm now 11st. From sleeping 12 hours per day to now sleeping around 6 hrs per night I feel amazing and full of energy.

How is your diet? Do you eat enough carbs, protein, fruit and fish? How about water? I drink around 2.5 litres per day. Drinking water has improved my health dramatically.

It could be something really simple like not eating enough protein. Hopefully it isn't a serious medical problem.

I hope you correct it :smile:
From what it sounds like it's not the feel dosey feeling that some people get due sluggishness, long day and inactivity. I would definitely mention to drs about your muscles feeling more drained I presume it feels hard to do activities both mental and physical. I presume you have trouble concentrating as well.
Please mention these to a dr

Posted from TSR Mobile
do you even coffee bro?
I have the same thing and they don't know why. I put it down to part of having depression..
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
I have the same thing and they don't know why. I put it down to part of having depression..

Ditto. I was hoping for iron-deficient anaemia as that's fairly easy to rectify, but no... I also suffer from insomnia, which doesn't help, but even when I'm sleeping well I feel tired and drained. Sleeping tablets are not a good way to go and don't really seem necessary as you say you sleep well. They induce dependency and have nasty withdrawal symptoms.

Depression may be worthwhile considering? At least, don't feel fobbed off if your GP brings it up. They will have screened you for Fe and B12 deficiency (among other things) but you should go back and ask for further investigation. Also, as others say, going to see a different GP might be a good idea.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by barneystin

Hahaha :lol:

Original post by WednesdayAddams
Ditto. I was hoping for iron-deficient anaemia as that's fairly easy to rectify, but no... I also suffer from insomnia, which doesn't help, but even when I'm sleeping well I feel tired and drained. Sleeping tablets are not a good way to go and don't really seem necessary as you say you sleep well. They induce dependency and have nasty withdrawal symptoms.

Depression may be worthwhile considering? At least, don't feel fobbed off if your GP brings it up. They will have screened you for Fe and B12 deficiency (among other things) but you should go back and ask for further investigation. Also, as others say, going to see a different GP might be a good idea.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've tried sleeping tablets before they're okay occasionally. Yeah I'm occasionally anaemic but even when I'm not doesn't make much difference. Such a nuisance.
Hahaha :lol:

I've tried sleeping tablets before they're okay occasionally. Yeah I'm occasionally anaemic but even when I'm not doesn't make much difference. Such a nuisance.

They're ok for occasional use. At least, I find they help me get to sleep, but I often feel more tired the next day as I have a woozy sleeping tablet hangover.

I find exercise (running) helps sometimes, but not always.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest