The Student Room Group

Getting funding for a degree after a self funded HNC

Hello all,

I'm starting to get pretty frustrated with student finance and the fact I get a different answer each time I call them up - I imagine I'm not alone in this.

Very simple

I'm doing a HNC in computing at OU - self funded

I'm using this to apply to uni at first year for a Bsc computer science.

I have no other quals at HE level

I'm a mature student

I have been told varying things each time I call SFE:

you are eligible for full funding because the total degree is level 6 whereas the HNC is level 4

We will not fund the first year under ELQ rules.

We will fund 3 years (3 + 1 - previous years study)

you are eligible for funding because you self funded your studies

you are not eligible even though you self funded

Today I hit a personal milestone, whereby the woman on the phone told me all of the above over a ten minute conversation!

Has anyone got any experience with this? I probably could save 9k, but only just.

Lastly, as a member of the armed forces there is a scheme whereby the mod fund your first HE level qual - note I said HE level, and not degree, obviously I'm not eligible because of this amazing HNC that seems to be the best qual in the world which I could get loads of jobs with (yes, I'm getting slightly bitter).
In short:
- you won't, with some exceptions get funding for the same level or a lower level qualification. So, you can't get more funding for another HNC. But can get funding to top up your HNC to a degree.
- it doesn't matter how the HNC was funded
Reply 2
If you gain your HNC and go on to apply for a course with an equal level qualification you won't get support. This is regardless of wether the course is full time or part time and wether you were funded by SFE or yourself. Self funding still counts towards your 4 year entitlement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Cheers for the replies, I think I've managed to work around this problem by changing one of my OU modules to lvl 2 and studying them all as "stand alone" modules, so officialy I wont have a HNC.
Original post by tim_123
Cheers for the replies, I think I've managed to work around this problem by changing one of my OU modules to lvl 2 and studying them all as "stand alone" modules, so officialy I wont have a HNC.

It would be a CertHE, not a HNC, if you did claim it. Given how pedantic these organisations are, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a different answer even though the two are academically equivalent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tim_123
snip

There's so much misinformation in this thread. Ignore everything you've been told, this is how it works:

Everyone is entitled to a loan which covers the full length of their degree (some degrees are 3 years long, some are 4, some are 5), plus an extra gift year (these 'gift years' are usually for people who need to re-sit a year, but you could use it for your OU certificate).

I don't think it is worth self-funding, if you take out a student loan to pay for the OU, you will still be entitled to a full loan for the BSc in Computer Science at another university. You're given an extra year of funding, use it! I did the same thing.
Reply 6
Original post by Samual
Everyone is entitled to a loan which covers the full length of their degree (some degrees are 3 years long, some are 4, some are 5), plus an extra gift year (these 'gift years' are usually for people who need to re-sit a year, but you could use it for your OU certificate).

I'm afraid not.

This is only true if you don't yet have a qualification which is equlvalent to part or all of an undergraduate degree. If you have an existing qualification which is equivalent to, for example, the first year of an undergraduate degree (such as an HNC or a CertHE), then you will automatically not get Student Finance for that year.

This ELQ ("Equivalent or Lower Qualifications) rule over-rides the basic "Length of degree course plus One year" calculation.
Original post by Klix88
I'm afraid not.

This is only true if you don't yet have a qualification which is equlvalent to part or all of an undergraduate degree. If you have an existing qualification which is equivalent to, for example, the first year of an undergraduate degree (such as an HNC or a CertHE), then you will automatically not get Student Finance for that year.

This ELQ ("Equivalent or Lower Qualifications) rule over-rides the basic "Length of degree course plus One year" calculation.

I'm sorry but you're completely wrong. I know this for a fact because I have done what the OP is trying to do and I've had no problems. The OP is doing/wants to do a CertHE and then apply for a BSc. That is perfectly possible; he will get full funding because the ELQ policy doesn't apply.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Samual
I'm sorry but you're completely wrong. I know this for a fact because I have done what the OP is trying to do and I've had no problems. The OP is doing/wants to do a CertHE and then apply for a BSc. That is perfectly possible; he will get full funding because the ELQ policy doesn't apply.

Is it possible that the rules have changed since you last had advice, or your situation isn't exactly the same as the OP?

According to this year's Student Finance Practitioners' Guide on eligibility, both a pre-existing CertHE or an HNC are automatically subject to the ELQ restriction. Page 44 of this document:

http://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/media/695278/sfe_assessing_eligibility_guidance_14-15_v1.2__final.pdf

In the OP's situation, this would mean that they do not get full SF funding for their first year, as they've been told by SF.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Klix88
Is it possible that the rules have changed since you last had advice, or your situation isn't exactly the same as the OP?

According to this year's Student Finance Practitioners' Guide on eligibility, both a pre-existing CertHE or an HNC are automatically subject to the ELQ restriction. Page 44 of this document:

http://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/media/695278/sfe_assessing_eligibility_guidance_14-15_v1.2__final.pdf

In the OP's situation, this would mean that they do not get full SF funding for their first year, as they've been told by SF.

It hasn't changed and our circumstances are exactly similar. We will still get full funding because of the gift year. I am struggling to understand why you don't understand this.

I have just phoned Student Finance England and they have confirmed that I (and the OP) would get funding for the whole degree. Here is the calculation they use: full length of the degree - 1 year + 1 gift year = full funding.

P.S. It should also be noted that even if the OP pays for the CertHE himself, he will still have to use the student finance 'gift year' to get a full loan to cover the BSc. Unfortunately ELQ rules don't care about how you paid for a qualification, just that you have it - so you might as well take out a loan for it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
Guys I appreciate the advice,

Just so you know I have rectified this by removing the actual qualification, and studying modules as stand alone, as well as this I am studying a level 2 module as part of the 120 credits, so they cannot establish me as having a CertHe.

This also means that I am now also eligible for funding through an mod scheme, meaning I shouldn't have to deal with SFE. The same rules of elq applied to that, meaning by sorting out the SF situation I have inadvertently sorted out funding from the armed forces, which is actually a grant covering the full cost of the degree. £28k saved, good job I checked the rules early!

Thanks again, and if anyone is reading that is in any similair position dont hesitate to PM me.
Original post by tim_123
Guys I appreciate the advice,

Just so you know I have rectified this by removing the actual qualification, and studying modules as stand alone, as well as this I am studying a level 2 module as part of the 120 credits, so they cannot establish me as having a CertHe..

That won't make any difference, if you take out a loan for OU credits (even if you don't get a qualification), you will still have to use the 'gift year' to cover the first year of your BSc. Some universities require level 2 credits (Oxbridge for example), if you plan on applying to these universities then doing 60 level 1 and 60 level 2 is perfectly fine, if not then it would be a better idea to do 120 level 1 and get a named qualification.

I'm sorry that other posters have made you doubt your plan, but really, a CertHE is a perfectly good route into university and it wont stop you getting a full loan. I did a CertHE with the OU and I got into UCL, I'm sure you will do just as well if not better!
Reply 12
Original post by Samual

I'm sorry that other posters have made you doubt your plan, but really, a CertHE is a perfectly good route into university and it wont stop you getting a full loan. I did a CertHE with the OU and I got into UCL, I'm sure you will do just as well if not better!

Although funding was a big part of it, the decision to study a level two module was also born from how much I have not enjoyed the simplicity (not bragging) of the level 1 modules I have done.

And thats good to know, I have applied to UCL, RHUL and a few others (including Cambridge, mainly just because you never know!)
Original post by tim_123
Although funding was a big part of it, the decision to study a level two module was also born from how much I have not enjoyed the simplicity (not bragging) of the level 1 modules I have done.

And thats good to know, I have applied to UCL, RHUL and a few others (including Cambridge, mainly just because you never know!)

I know what you mean, level 1 was very dull. I chose to be bored and get a qualification at the end. Oh and I also got into RHUL, Aberdeen and Edinburgh, in case you were wondering.
Reply 14
Original post by Samual
I know what you mean, level 1 was very dull. I chose to be bored and get a qualification at the end. Oh and I also got into RHUL, Aberdeen and Edinburgh, in case you were wondering.

Indeed!

And thats even better to know, RHUL is my main choice, cheers for all the help mate.
Reply 15
Any advice please? If I take OU units (Feb. to Sept.) to assist getting into BSc C.S. degree 3 year course, and then after this decide to do a MSc one year course, what happens with funding of fees with the 3 year + 1 "gift year"?
Reply 16
Original post by Fielden
Any advice please? If I take OU units (Feb. to Sept.) to assist getting into BSc C.S. degree 3 year course, and then after this decide to do a MSc one year course, what happens with funding of fees with the 3 year + 1 "gift year"?

There is currently no funding for a Masters degree. The calculation you quote only applies to undergeaduate courses.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending