The Student Room Group

Occupational Health in Health Subjects & CRB/DBS

I am about to do an Access course so I can apply to do a Dietetics degree.

I am slightly concerned about the Occupational Health and CRB/DBS checks though. I have a long history of severe mental health illness, but I have completed therapy and am on relevant meds now so I am somewhat mostly functioning again.

I have just taken 3 years out because I was so unwell. Also though, during that time, when I am unwell I am prone to violent and aggressive outbursts and behaviour when I am dissociated. One incident did lead to being arrested once and I received a caution because I had no idea what happened and was too honest in explaining what has been explained to me I am like in dissociated episodes and my carer was in hospital (medical) from an unrelated incident on the night. (so it makes sense I would have not been coping)

Anyway, will this stop me from being accepted. In person and when I'm not severely unwell, I am not violent at all. I barely even shout. I am a scowler so it is entirely out of character (hence it happens during dissociation because it is all suppressed) - but these episodes are much fewer nowadays.

Also, as part of this disorder, I experienced eating disorders for a number of years - although I am entirely recovered now (in mind as well as weight) and don't have any ED thoughts, and when I do, I can squash them and prove them wrong quite easily nowadays.

Will this cause me difficulties in being accepted onto a Dietetics course at all? HAs anyone had any experience with similar difficulties and applying/being accepted?

---
Also as a side note, I want to go to Kings or Surrey - does anyone know what student welfare services are like at these institutions incase I need some further support at any time in the next 5 years?

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest