The Student Room Group

School uniform debate

I was thinking about my school days last night in particular school uniform and how uncomfortable it was.

My question is should school uniform be abolished.

I think it should on my non uniform days behavior seemed better and I found I was more productive and learned more. Also bullying actually dropped.

While I agree there should be a way to identify kids like if they're on a trip or something I sure there is a better way than school uniform an Idea I saw in London that I liked was a school backpack identifying French children on a school trip.

What do you guys think should we abolish it keep it or something else?

** updated point on page 20 03/07/2015

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Yes. As long as no "offensive" clothing is worn I fail to see the problem. Uniforms abolish individuality and give the impression different is wrong.

I went to a sixth form college which had no uniform requirements, people wore whatever, had coloured hair, tattoos and piercings etc and it was a lot more accepting, tolerant and a nicer place to be than school
Reply 2
It's a disadvantage for kids who cannot afford the "cool" expensive clothes, this will increase bullying in my opinion.

In my experience pupils were more noisey on non uniform day
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by sucess
It's a disadvantage for kids who cannot afford the "cool" expensive clothes, this will increase bullying in my opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not really because when people are allowed their own clothes no one dresses the same anyway. It's not as if everyone has to have the same jeans OR ELSE.
No, we should not abolish school uniform.

Behaviour is terrible on non-uniform days.

Non-uniform also makes cliques glaringly obvious.

It takes kids FOREVER to get dressed in the morning. (Try taking pupils on a trip and getting them out of the hotel on time in the morning. "Miss, should I wear my Hollister or my Jack Wills hoody?")

Kids wear ridiculously impractical clothes to school when given the choice.

I disagree with all the bull**** 'individuality' arguments as well. School uniform is an equalizer that allows pupils to be individual in other ways.

I do, however, think the quality and design of many school uniforms needs drastic improvement.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Nothing wrong with school uniform.

Uniforms are uncomfortable is bull****, just wear it and **** up
Reply 6
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Not really because when people are allowed their own clothes no one dresses the same anyway. It's not as if everyone has to have the same jeans OR ELSE.

Non uniform days at my school were anything but. Every guy turned up in converse, jeans, a tshirt and a hoodie. It was just a multi coloured uniform. There's no individuality there.

And my experience would have to agree with the other poster, people with less affluent backgrounds can't keep up, they aren't wearing the newest trainers, they aren't wearing the right labels.

School uniforms aren't perfect, but they're better than the alternative imo.
Original post by Drewski
Non uniform days at my school were anything but. Every guy turned up in converse, jeans, a tshirt and a hoodie. It was just a multi coloured uniform. There's no individuality there.

And my experience would have to agree with the other poster, people with less affluent backgrounds can't keep up, they aren't wearing the newest trainers, they aren't wearing the right labels.

School uniforms aren't perfect, but they're better than the alternative imo.

No one cares about the label. Like I said I went to a college with no uniform and no one gave a ****. The only reason people show off on non uniform day is because it's ONE day. If it was normal no one would care.

People get bullied for schooluniform anyway though..
No one cares about the label. Like I said I went to a college with no uniform and no one gave a ****. The only reason people show off on non uniform day is because it's ONE day. If it was normal no one would care.

I don't often get too exasperated by people on TSR. But please, just get a clue.
Original post by rachel.h
I don't often get too exasperated by people on TSR. But please, just get a clue.

Want to elaborate on that, or are you just going to insult me because you have a different opinion?
I actually really liked my uniform as it was like a "hogwarts" uniform, I.e long skirt, blazer etc. It made me feel part of the school as the uniform had remained the same since the school opened the only difference was adding a skirt when girls were allowed in. I know myself that due to the type of school it was/is there would probably be issues of "not wearing the right thing", at least according to my sister who just left. Also I always thought I studied better in my uniform and would often keep it on to.do my homework as I would still have my school head on. Also it was just so much easier not having to pick something every day and non uniform days can remain as a treat :smile:
I think older pupils should be able to wear their own clothes, even if their choices are restricted by what the school deems appropriate.

They really, really do.

When I was in 6th form people relaxed too (we too had a non-uniform 6th form and it was fine, but by then we'd had 5 yrs of knowing one another). 12, 13, 14 yr olds, however, do not think the same was as 17 and 18 yr olds. It was very evident all the way through school that things like that happened at my place because we had a real mix of backgrounds at the school.

Just because your school seems to have been some sort of utopia doesn't mean that every school follows suit. My experience of having been a pupil, then having worked in schools, having worked with schools and with my parents having 30yrs experience of also working in schools makes me believe that uniforms are the lesser of two evils.
Want to elaborate on that, or are you just going to insult me because you have a different opinion?

See my previous post. Just because you think you've grown up enough to be individual and 'not care what anybody else thinks', doesn't mean teenagers have. There is an immense amount of pressure placed on what you are wearing and where your clothes have come from.

If all clothes have come from the same place (the school uniform shop), part of this pressure is removed and pupils are more free to get on with school life. As per my previous example, taking pupils away for a week highlights the problem perfectly: It creates division.

They don't need to show their individuality via clothing, they need to get an education and learn.
Original post by Drewski
They really, really do.

When I was in 6th form people relaxed too (we too had a non-uniform 6th form and it was fine, but by then we'd had 5 yrs of knowing one another). 12, 13, 14 yr olds, however, do not think the same was as 17 and 18 yr olds. It was very evident all the way through school that things like that happened at my place because we had a real mix of backgrounds at the school.

Just because your school seems to have been some sort of utopia doesn't mean that every school follows suit. My experience of having been a pupil, then having worked in schools, having worked with schools and with my parents having 30yrs experience of also working in schools makes me believe that uniforms are the lesser of two evils.

I doubt people care as much as you think

Where I went, there were "alternative" people, glamourous people, chavvy people, people who didn't care, loads. No one bothered each other. I have a friend who wears a top hat, curly moustache and cane, and no one said a single thing.

I think you're underestimating people
Original post by rachel.h
See my previous post. Just because you think you've grown up enough to be individual and 'not care what anybody else thinks', doesn't mean teenagers have. There is an immense amount of pressure placed on what you are wearing and where your clothes have come from.

If all clothes have come from the same place (the school uniform shop), part of this pressure is removed and pupils are more free to get on with school life. As per my previous example, taking pupils away for a week highlights the problem perfectly: It creates division.

They don't need to show their individuality via clothing, they need to get an education and learn.

Not if you being your kids up properly not to care. If you being your kids up to be sheep it's your own fault.

When I was forced to wear a uniform, I pierced myself loads and dyed my hair multiple colours just so I could show my personality.

The way I look does not affect my education
I doubt people care as much as you think

Where I went, there were "alternative" people, glamourous people, chavvy people, people who didn't care, loads. No one bothered each other. I have a friend who wears a top hat, curly moustache and cane, and no one said a single thing.

I think you're underestimating people

This isn't something I'm plucking out of the ether, this is based on experience, on what I've seen, on what I know from friends and relatives who are teachers. Like the other poster, I've seen first hand how kids react when they're on a week away from school, having to be seen to wear the 'right' clothes.

Just because your experience might be different doesn't make my experience wrong.
Original post by Drewski
This isn't something I'm plucking out of the ether, this is based on experience, on what I've seen, on what I know from friends and relatives who are teachers. Like the other poster, I've seen first hand how kids react when they're on a week away from school, having to be seen to wear the 'right' clothes.

Just because your experience might be different doesn't make my experience wrong.

No but similarly yours doesn't make mine wrong either.

Kids are bastards whatever you do, don't penalise the rest of us because of some dickheads
Not if you being your kids up properly not to care. If you being your kids up to be sheep it's your own fault.

When I was forced to wear a uniform, I pierced myself loads and dyed my hair multiple colours just so I could show my personality.

The way I look does not affect my education

Well done. That's you.

But that's not what happens to a lot of kids. School isn't there to raise kids, it's there to educate them.

You're preaching something that works well in one scenario, but poorly in many others. People who are pro-uniform are advocating a solution that has proven to work ok across all scenarios.

I'd far rather have the latter than the former.
No but similarly yours doesn't make mine wrong either.

Kids are bastards whatever you do, don't penalise the rest of us because of some dickheads

In some cases you have to.

In exams, you tell all kids to not have mobile phones with them, even though hardly any of them would ever think about cheating.

Uniforms aren't perfect, but they're the best solution for everybody.

Latest

Trending

Trending