The Student Room Group

Help ? Should I ask for a remark even though I got an U ????

I got a U in AS maths and I got 115 UMS. I need to get 120 UMS for a E which is a pass .
Is it worth asking for a remark or not ????
There is no point really, as maths is a "right or wrong" type of subject... What were your individual modul scores? You might be best of by retaking the module you scored the lowest in. What other subjects are you doing? :smile:
What had you been getting throughout the year? If it seems unusual for you to have gotten such a low grade, I'd consider asking for a remark. The thing with maths is that it isn't really subjective so it'd be hard to think how much the grade would change when marked by someone else. Like thatitootoo said, you might be better retaking your worst module to bring your grade up.
Reply 3
Original post by thatitootoo
There is no point really, as maths is a "right or wrong" type of subject... What were your individual modul scores? You might be best of by retaking the module you scored the lowest in. What other subjects are you doing? :smile:

I'm just worried about how it will look on my UCAS application really as a U is a fail !! :s-smilie:
My module marks are:

C1: 39/75 (E- 5 marks from a D)
C2: 32/75 (U - 2 marks from an E)
S1: 29/75 (U - 3 marks from an E)

I did really bad in all my exams really. I was expected to a C or at worst a D. (I'm definitely dropping maths after this)

This grade made me feel like giving up on education :frown:

I do biology, chemistry and psychology :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Claros
What had you been getting throughout the year? If it seems unusual for you to have gotten such a low grade, I'd consider asking for a remark. The thing with maths is that it isn't really subjective so it'd be hard to think how much the grade would change when marked by someone else. Like thatitootoo said, you might be better retaking your worst module to bring your grade up.

I usually got Cs and high Ds with the occasional B.
Most people in my school got Us for AS maths as well.
I was predicted a C but got a U which breaks my heart coz a U isn't even a pass. I really want an E lol (can't believe I said that)
It's gonna look so bad on my UCAS application though :frown:
I hated maths so I'm rather reluctant to retake it but my maths teacher did tell me that I should retake it in year 13
Original post by Shanzii
I usually got Cs and high Ds with the occasional B.
Most people in my school got Us for AS maths as well.
I was predicted a C but got a U which breaks my heart coz a U isn't even a pass. I really want an E lol (can't believe I said that)
It's gonna look so bad on my UCAS application though :frown:
I hated maths so I'm rather reluctant to retake it but my maths teacher did tell me that I should retake it in year 13

If you're not sure about getting a remark a possible thing you could do is order a copy of your script back for your teacher to look at and see if they spot any mistakes in the marking. It seems a little odd that most people in your school got Us and if you were predicted a C it's a bit strange.

If the marking turns out to be accurate then really the only option is to retake an exam and try and bring up your grade, as much as you may hate it.
Reply 6
Original post by Claros
If you're not sure about getting a remark a possible thing you could do is order a copy of your script back for your teacher to look at and see if they spot any mistakes in the marking. It seems a little odd that most people in your school got Us and if you were predicted a C it's a bit strange.

If the marking turns out to be accurate then really the only option is to retake an exam and try and bring up your grade, as much as you may hate it.

Oh ok. That's a good idea actually. I do think that I'd have to retake an exam :frown::frown:
Thanks for the advice :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest