The Student Room Group

A-Level Distance Learning Help?!

Hi all,

I left school and went to college 2 years ago, but kept switching subjects as I didn't have a clue what I wanted to do. I've now been working as an Apprentice Administrator for almost a year, and feel i've finally decided what I want to do with my life. I want to teach English as a foreign language. I know I want to do English Language and Psychology A-Levels, but i'm not sure about a third. Also, I'd be studying my A-Levels in my spare time, as I want to save as much money as I can before going to uni, so won't be quitting my job to attend college full time. So, my questions are:

1. Is it practical to study A-Levels as a distance learner, through websites such as ICS and Oxford Open Learning? Is it possible to achieve high grades this way?

2. What would be a good option for my third A-Level? I'd possibly consider doing 4. (English Lit was one of the courses I started in college before I left. I enjoyed the content but felt the classes were too fast paced and I couldn't keep up, though would it be beneficial to take this?)

Thanks! :smile:
Moved to A levels :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Natz04
Hi all,

I left school and went to college 2 years ago, but kept switching subjects as I didn't have a clue what I wanted to do. I've now been working as an Apprentice Administrator for almost a year, and feel i've finally decided what I want to do with my life. I want to teach English as a foreign language. I know I want to do English Language and Psychology A-Levels, but i'm not sure about a third. Also, I'd be studying my A-Levels in my spare time, as I want to save as much money as I can before going to uni, so won't be quitting my job to attend college full time. So, my questions are:

1. Is it practical to study A-Levels as a distance learner, through websites such as ICS and Oxford Open Learning? Is it possible to achieve high grades this way?

2. What would be a good option for my third A-Level? I'd possibly consider doing 4. (English Lit was one of the courses I started in college before I left. I enjoyed the content but felt the classes were too fast paced and I couldn't keep up, though would it be beneficial to take this?)

Thanks! :smile:

I avoided distant learning centers because they only provide the books you can buy for a fraction of the price they are asking for. Though the tutor support varies greatly (some being VERY weak) you will need someone to mark your coursework, so if English Lang is not just an exam based course I would consider getting the DL provider. Eng lit has two pieces of coursework so it is a good idea to buy from OOL. However, for courses that are only exam based I would just buy the textbooks. You are going to have to pay for the exams and they cost an arm and a leg, I was charged around £21 per exam, it adds up when you have to take somewhere between 2 and 4 exams per subject. I took 4 full A levels whilst working a ful-time job and came out with A*A*A*A, so it is do-able without the DL providers, though it is a massive headache trying to find someone who will mark your coursework. Also, avoid Distant Learning Partnership!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by S-e-Jones
I avoided distant learning centers because they only provide the books you can buy for a fraction of the price they are asking for. Though the tutor support varies greatly (some being VERY weak) you will need someone to mark your coursework, so if English Lang is not just an exam based course I would consider getting the DL provider. Eng lit has two pieces of coursework so it is a good idea to buy from OOL. However, for courses that are only exam based I would just buy the textbooks. You are going to have to pay for the exams and they cost an arm and a leg, I was charged around £21 per exam, it adds up when you have to take somewhere between 2 and 4 exams per subject. I took 4 full A levels whilst working a ful-time job and came out with A*A*A*A, so it is do-able without the DL providers, though it is a massive headache trying to find someone who will mark your coursework. Also, avoid Distant Learning Partnership!

Thanks for your input! Which A-Levels did you do and who did you do them with? Did you take them all separately e.g 1 a year, or did you do them all at once? I was thinking of doing 1 a year rather than them all at once, to get the best grades possible. I'm not sure yet though. I've never head of Distant Learning Partnership, though what's bad about them? Sorry for all the questions! :tongue:
Reply 4
Original post by Natz04
Thanks for your input! Which A-Levels did you do and who did you do them with? Did you take them all separately e.g 1 a year, or did you do them all at once? I was thinking of doing 1 a year rather than them all at once, to get the best grades possible. I'm not sure yet though. I've never head of Distant Learning Partnership, though what's bad about them? Sorry for all the questions! :tongue:

I did the four A levels in about 18 months. I studied History, Government and Politics, Classics and Maths. I bought a DL provider for the A2 level of History as there is one piece of coursework and I couldn't find anyone willing to mark it. Because most DL providers only sell full A levels and not AS/A2 separately, I bought from Distance Learning Partnership - they were really cheap, less than £150, in comparison to OOL which is about £300. Anyways, BIG mistake, waste of any money because it took the tutor weeks to get back to me, he refused to give me any direction/tips/guidance on how to write/improve the essay, he just marked the coursework without giving me any feedback, essentially he marked my first draft. Luckily I scraped an A in the coursework. They also don't help with revision. The other A levels (Classics, Maths, Government and Politics) I taught myself from books from the library/internet/amazon/ebay. Hope I helped!

Quick Reply

Latest