The Student Room Group

Is this a mitigating circumstance?

I will only be doing five gcses come september at college and would like to study medicine in the future. Would this come under 'mitigating circumstances' as I can't do more than five?
Reply 1
Original post by SaraOmar
I will only be doing five gcses come september at college and would like to study medicine in the future. Would this come under 'mitigating circumstances' as I can't do more than five?

I guess it would depend what the reason for you being unable to do more is. If the college won't let you do more than five and there's a good reason for you needing to go to that college, or you're new in the UK and doing some GCSEs quickly to make up for a lack of them, then it's worth making sure that's clearly mentioned in your reference. You would do well to contact some med schools individually and check that you wouldn't be at a disadvantage if you applied, as well. Only apply to those that say in writing that you would be at no disadvantage.
Reply 2
Original post by Ronove
I guess it would depend what the reason for you being unable to do more is. If the college won't let you do more than five and there's a good reason for you needing to go to that college, or you're new in the UK and doing some GCSEs quickly to make up for a lack of them, then it's worth making sure that's clearly mentioned in your reference. You would do well to contact some med schools individually and check that you wouldn't be at a disadvantage if you applied, as well. Only apply to those that say in writing that you would be at no disadvantage.

I am not from the UK and need to do GCSEs at college as I am over 16.
Also there are no colleges in my area doing more than five.
Reply 3
I am not from the UK and need to do GCSEs at college as I am over 16.
Also there are no colleges in my area doing more than five.

Do you not have any qualifications from your last country of residence that are taken at age 15/16? Are you sure you actually need to take GCSEs at all? This is something you're going to need to ask a handful of medical schools about, regardless. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Ronove
Do you not have any qualifications from your last country of residence that are taken at age 15/16? Are you sure you actually need to take GCSEs at all? This is something you're going to need to ask a handful of medical schools about, regardless. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. :smile:

I studied in Egypt which doesn't count in the UK.
Thanks for your help I will email some universities.
Reply 5
I studied in Egypt which doesn't count in the UK.
Thanks for your help I will email some universities.

Are you sure? Have any universities told you that? I knew someone who moved to the UK for uni after going to school in Egypt, but he went to an international school so maybe he didn't do Egyptian qualifications. Still, yes, make sure you check with some med schools. A handful of GCSEs can't hurt if you're planning on doing A-levels after, but it's nice to actually know where you stand.
Reply 6

Thank you!!
Basically because I messed up my AS Levels this year, I am restarting the college year from the beginning. However, I want to study medicine and Universities don't accept results if taken in 3 years unless you have mitigating circumstances. I think I have a solid argument for the reasons why I messed up and am hoping anybody could give me an opinion as to whether these circumstances will be taken into consideration????

At the at the beginning of the year, my parents went through an extremely rough divorce - my dad moved out and took most of the furniture with him. My mum has never worked and has no qualifications as she has always been a stay-at-home mum raising 4 children, so when my dad left, we were left with no money as he was the only person working in my family. As we were very tight on money, I was literally unable to afford the bus pass to get to and from college so had to pay for the bus daily. Most days, I couldn't afford to get to college everyday as we were so short on money. My mum did get a shop assistant job but the money she raised from that was spent on college stationary, desks and food for the family. After my parents' divorce was final, my mum, my siblings and I had to move to a house even further away from the college. As well as this, the date we had to move was set up by the divorce courts and the whole moving process took place right before my mock exams so I was unable to reap the benefits of revising over Christmas. Eventually, I moved to a college which was nearer so I was able to walk but by that time, the year was over and it was time to take exams. I really feel that my exams results do not reflect my abilities; after getting all a*'s and a's at GCSE and being predicted all a's for my AS levels. This years events have been completely out of my control. I choose to go to the first college initially as when I choose my college, I was unaware my parents were going to get a divorce resulting in no money. Otherwise, I would have chosen to go to a college nearer. Not being able to actually attend college has had a serious impact on me.

I would love to hear your opinions about this but please don't be too harsh as it is a very personal story. I know you are probably all sitting there like "you could have done this..." or "well, why didn't you do that..." but going through what I have been through in the space of a year is actually surprisingly difficult!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending