The Student Room Group

British IS Islamist kills american journalist-but how to identify similar UKMuslims ?

obviously the murder of the journalist in iraq posted online by ISIS is being discussed elsewhere, im looking at the angle that the beheading was done seemingly by a british muslim.

How should we as a country look to capture at the border these people assuming that some may try to re-enter the uk. To this point we may not know all their real identities and they often travel out of syria/iraq via other countries like morroco, turkey etc.

One solution maybe draconian but suggessted was detain and much more carefully screen all male muslim british passport holders of ages 17-60.

do you agree with such an approach?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Meenglishnogood
obviously the murder of the journalist in iraq posted online by ISIS is being discussed elsewhere, im looking at the angle that the beheading was done seemingly by a british muslim.

How should we as a country look to capture at the border these people assuming that some may try to re-enter the uk. To this point we may not know all their real identities and they often travel out of syria/iraq via other countries like morroco, turkey etc.

One solution maybe draconian but suggessted was detain and much more carefully screen all male muslim british passport holders of ages 17-60.

do you agree with such an approach?

The passport would not list them as a Muslim so how can you be sure that you are targeting the people that you want to target?
Original post by tsr1269
The passport would not list them as a Muslim so how can you be sure that you are targeting the people that you want to target?

their passport will show their muslim names, we would target those in high risk groups ie young muslim males seem to be in the more impressionable and easily manipulated groups so they should rightly draw more attention. a 90 year old muslim granny would get waved through, so it should not be unfairly penalising
Reply 3
their passport will show their muslim names, we would target those in high risk groups ie young muslim males seem to be in the more impressionable and easily manipulated groups so they should rightly draw more attention. a 90 year old muslim granny would get waved through, so it should not be unfairly penalising

So Ex-Muslims and atheists will get caught up also?

Furthermore, what if someone changes their name to Smith, as you do, and then goes abroad. It won't flag up anything.

This is probably one of your worst ideas and you have had a couple of atrocious views...
Original post by tsr1269
So Ex-Muslims and atheists will get caught up also? ...
probably, but probably not for long.

Original post by tsr1269

Furthermore, what if someone changes their name to Smith, as you do, and then goes abroad. It won't flag up anything. ...
then mr smith will look quite odd travelling on the passport of abdul bin-amin-begum etc etc

Original post by tsr1269

This is probably one of your worst ideas and you have had a couple of atrocious views...

it wasnt my idea
Great idea, lets alienate an entire group of people for little to no reason, encouraging more people to hate the state and progress a ridiculous and bigoted stereotype. Besides, there are plenty of white muslims with names like Steve, and as far as I know they're just as likely (i.e. not very) to be terrorists etc.
Original post by mattwilkins
Great idea, lets alienate an entire group of people for little to no reason, encouraging more people to hate the state and progress a ridiculous and bigoted stereotype. Besides, there are plenty of white muslims with names like Steve, and as far as I know they're just as likely (i.e. not very) to be terrorists etc.

Well there is a reason - otherwise the topic wouldnt be discussed would it. id argue there was no reason to identify 'buddhist terrorists' or 'wiccan terrorists' . but there is a case to identify islamic terorrists, becuase they are prevalent due to their beliefs, not jsut in uk, but in fact in any muslim population globally .

or your alternative approach to stick your head in the sand like an ostrich. presumably thats your approach to tackle all crime?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by mattwilkins

Exactly. I remember seeing a white Muslim guy on the news who was arrested for suspected terrorism, as well as a white Muslim woman who was suspected of helping her boyfriend in terrorism. People can be so ignorant. 'Muslim' is not a race...
Reply 8
I thought ISIS burnt the passports of those that joined them.
Original post by No Man
I thought ISIS burnt the passports of those that joined them.

im sure that was purely propaganda, a british passport has massive value to criminals and counterfeiters. besides which im sure IS would rather send their drones back to various european countries to do their bidding , which is what the concern is in various european nations
Reply 10
probably, but probably not for long.

Apparently, the number of Ex-Muslims and atheists are at an all time high and it's growing...

then mr smith will look quite odd travelling on the passport of abdul bin-amin-begum etc etc

The name change would be reflected in the passport.

it wasnt my idea

I haven't seen anyone else on here postulating such an atrocious idea.
Well there is a reason - otherwise the topic wouldnt be discussed would it. id argue there was no reason to identify 'buddhist terrorists' or 'wiccan terrorists' . but there is a case to identify islamic terorrists, becuase they are prevalent due to their beliefs, not jsut in uk, but in fact in any muslim population globally .

or your alternative approach to stick your head in the sand like an ostrich. presumably thats your approach to tackle all crime?

There is absolutely no reason to breach the human rights of anyone by detaining them without ANY reasonable suspicion. Plenty of white people have committed terrorist acts (just look at america) does this mean you want to stop and investigate EVERY SINGLE WHITE PERSON? No it doesn't, because you're blind to the wrongdoing of certain groups of people while others you view out of proportion.

The fact of the matter is that a tiny proportion of muslims are terrorists. It is neither logical nor moral to discriminate against an entire cultural group based on this fact.

There are a number of reasons you don't hear about Buddhist or Wicca terrorism. Number one, the media shove Islamic terrorism down your throat every single day so you think it is much more prolific than it actually is, and number two there are over 3 times as many Muslims as Buddhists in the world, and I'd imagine Wicca represents even fewer people, so there are going to be fewer people predisposed to commit terrorist acts, therefore fewer and smaller extremist groups and therefore fewer terrorist acts.

Also the fact that Islam is most prominent in areas of the world that have been royally screwed by Uncle Sam and his cronies doesn't help.
Reply 12
im sure that was purely propaganda, a british passport has massive value to criminals and counterfeiters. besides which im sure IS would rather send their drones back to various european countries to do their bidding , which is what the concern is in various european nations

IS have drones? Do they have hellfire missiles too?
Reply 13

The logical decision would probably be to stop all flights going to/from Iraq and Syria until ISIS are eliminated.
Original post by Novascope
Exactly. I remember seeing a white Muslim guy on the news who was arrested for suspected terrorism, as well as a white Muslim woman who was suspected of helping her boyfriend in terrorism. People can be so ignorant. 'Muslim' is not a race...

in terms of white british muslims that have been charged with terrorism offenses, you may be surprised that the proportion is quite high comparatively , richard reid, richard dart, jordan horner, Nicky Reilly, the 'white widow' Samantha Lewthwaite to name jsut a few
Original post by No Man
The logical decision would probably be to stop all flights going to/from Iraq and Syria until ISIS are eliminated.

im pretty sure most have been. these people are travelling via turkey, jsut as they travelled to afganistan via pakistan
Original post by tsr1269
IS have drones? Do they have hellfire missiles too?

Eh? :lolwut:
Reply 17
im pretty sure most have been. these people are travelling via turkey, jsut as they travelled to afganistan via pakistan

It's difficult to travel from Turkey to Europe without going through Istanbul, where they may be able to get caught if Turkey co-operates with the rest of NATO.

Apart from that they may decide to take the long trip by sea and drown.

I'm not sure how flights from Turkey could be managed though.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by No Man
It's difficult to travel from Turkey to Europe without going through Istanbul, where they may be able to get caught if Turkey co-operates with the rest of NATO.

Apart from that they may decide to take the long trip by sea and drown.

the problem lies largely with turkey, they have little control over their borders with the middle east anyway (which is most peoples issue with them joining the EU incidentally)

and im pretty sure you can fly direct to various other cities from europe ie ankara, bodrum etc
Reply 19
Eh? :lolwut:

You said "IS have drones". I'm asking if they are equipped with hellfire missiles to "wage Jihad" on European countries...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending