The Student Room Group

How do YOU think the BBC should be paid for?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Official House of Commons
Did you know that BBC Worldwide, the BBC's commercial arm, owns a 50 per cent stake in UKTV? Last year, through its commercial activity, BBC Worldwide returned about £174 million to the BBC to put towards content and programming. Do you agree that the BBC should raise revenue in this way through commercial ventures such as channels like UKTV?

I didn't know that, but I'm not all that surprised by it. I have no objection towards BBC Worldwide raising revenue for the BBC, however I'd prefer it they kept majority of their shares and operations outside of the United Kingdom. The line between public and private broadcaster becomes a bit blurred otherwise.
The BBC notes that the licence fee works out at 40 pence per household per day for all its services. Do you think this offers good value for money?

As you point to in your post, the BBC is proposing to move the programmes and content it shows on BBC Three to online only, and to close the channel as a broadcast TV service in autumn 2015. What is your view on this proposal? Do you think you would be as likely to watch as much BBC Three-type content via iPlayer as you do now on TV?

You can break anything you want down into price per day and it looks insignificant. Even if you said £1 a day it seems quite small. I feel however that there should be a much easier opt out.

With regards to moving things over from bbc3 to online only, I would still keep up with shows (although the BBC iPlayer service has a pathetic lifespan to programmes although I think that's being improved) but I believe there will be an unintended consequence from this. More and more people will start to see that it is pointless to own a licence and will instead get all their BBC broadcasting through iPlayer. Its not like ITV which has a lot of live sport on it, you could more or less watch all of the BBC stuff through iPlayer. Moving a channel to iPlayer will make more people realise this.

The problem I and many people have is that they pay their TV licence out of fear. I actually don't watch anything live, but I have a television that could receive BBC (it is currently in a room with no aerial however) but the hassle and criminalisation makes me pay.

You should be able to opt out, and the days of digital that is easier than ever. Alternatively set a date for it to be privatised, and give everyone with a TV licence a share. People might love the BBC but they love money more, regardless of what certain people would have us believe.

Fundamentally though it should be easier to opt out without fear of prosecution, and you should be able to ensure that you won't be harassed by making your television incapable of receiving signal, so it isn't up for debate.

The problem with the BBC is that the licence fee is not justified as it does nothing groundbreaking outside of BBC4 maybe, which is the only channel of its kind. Everything else BBC does is done elsewhere, and is commercially viable, that is not what the licence fee is for.
From the licencing site it says it's 40p a day. Now for some services that may be extortionate, but considering the sheer volume of output from the BBC, its a bargain. And the BBC is used by 96% of people in the UK, so its not something that should be thrown away so lightly. At least with the BBC we have one service which we know we have control over. Who knows if Sky News may turn into Fox News, if murdoch so desires. I know he wouldn't now because there isn't the appetite for such programming here, but at least if general opinion changes, the BBC will still be (relatively) impartial, while I can't say the same for Sky News, or even ITV for that matter.

A subscription will just hurt the BBC, and while people say that as long as the content is good people will pay, they have never heard of pirating. People will just do for sherlock what they do for GoT, go to a torrent site and download it.

Sure 40p a day adds up to a lot overall, but then everything is expensive in the long term. And honestly, for students particularly, if you can't afford it then either you just can't be bothered to budget even slightly, or you honestly need financial assistance, in which case there is help.

As for the entertainment, well I find a lot of BBC3 shows rather boring, yet I know that many would say the same for the shows I like. But at least with the BBC I know they'll produce it all, and so all viewers have something. Honestly the only argument I understand is that due to the flat rate of tv licencing it is regressive, so the only change I would like would be for the licence to be linked to income. You could add it as an extra tax, but then people who don't stream live TV will still be forced to pay.

Also for online only, that is just another thing which hurts most those who proponents for subscriptions seem to be defending. Fast internet is expensive, so you're locking out the poorest from the BBC. Maybe in the future where even the lowest internet speeds allow for good streaming then will online only be ok, but not now.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by tazarooni89
I think it should be paid for via a subscription to BBC's services. The TV license essentially already is a subscription to BBC's services, but with two differences.

The first is that, even if I want to watch something that has nothing to do with the BBC, such as Sky Sports on my laptop, then I still have to pay the BBC subscription as well as the Sky one. It means that I'm paying for more than what I'm watching, Sky are receiving less money than the amount I'm paying, and the BBC are getting money for free. This clearly isn't fair.

The second is that, if I don't pay my Sky Sports subscription, all that will happen is that I'll stop being able to watch Sky Sports. The channel will just stop working. This to me, seems much more economically efficient than continuing to physically allow me to watch BBC channels, but sending threatening letters and sending inspectors round all the time to check whether or not I'm doing so, trying to fight cases in court etc.

The subscription method seems to me to be sufficient for the moment, and appears not to require any significant overhaul to the system. It just needs one tweak; that is, scrambling the channel for those who don't pay for it. Perhaps we could think about advertising in the future, because it seems a waste to have such popular programming on the BBC without taking advantage of the advertising space. However, I can see why the BBC would be reluctant to do this. Just like for example, Wikipedia, adverts would make it more difficult to claim that they are impartial. There might be a conflict of interest if BBC News ended up having to decide whether or not to report on a story of major tax fraud committed by one of its corporate sponsors.

Since this is a state provided service, and the state wishes to provide it to everyone, in theory I think it makes sense for the BBC to be funded by a tax on people's incomes. But, because it has traditionally not been done this way, it might be a bit difficult to implement. The state would either have to cut back on spending somewhere else, or raise taxes, both of which are likely to cause an uproar from some section of the public.

Germany has introduced a broadcasting levy on all households to fund public service broadcasting with some exceptions, e.g. for people on low incomes. Its public service broadcasters are also allowed to run a limited amount of adverts. What do you think of this system?
Original post by Rakas21
The broadcasting industry is now around the place that the music industry was in the early 2000's in my opinion and that makes subscription or TV license largely outdated.

Legally dubious or not I have not paid for music since 1998 (download from Napster to about 07 then stream). With shows from sky I now stream a lot and I would do the same if Iplayer went to anything I had to pay for.

Like the Music industry the broadcasting industry has to adapt or die. If the BBC want more and sustainable funding it must sell advertisements or people will stream elsewhere.

If the BBC were to be funded or partially funded by advertising, do you think it would change the nature of its content and programmes over time?
If the BBC were to be funded or partially funded by advertising, do you think it would change the nature of its content and programmes over time?

Its quite possible to protect the likes of BBC1 and 2 which can show the stuff that maybe would not be commercially popular while giving advertisers free reign on other channels and Iplayer.
Original post by Rakas21
Its quite possible to protect the likes of BBC1 and 2 which can show the stuff that maybe would not be commercially popular while giving advertisers free reign on other channels and Iplayer.

If funded by advertising, would the BBC not become incentivised to chase ratings on all its main channels and services to appeal to those advertisers wishing to reach the largest audiences in order to maximise its commercial income?
Original post by Roving Fish
Logging in requires a data capture, this data is often used for marketing or for pay walls. Targeted marketing is something that the BBC shouldn't be budgeting for. The BBC doesn't produce enough 'rated' content to be able to build this system for parental controls (there is an existing cookie-based system for parental restriction).

The BBC is widely regarded for its excellence in broadcasting and forms part of the British identity. Making any changes starts to alter that reputation in the world.

The BBC iPlayer would be an extremely stupid thing to put on a subscription model. In January 2014, there were 315,000,000 requests for content so it is clearly very popular. The only way that people would accept this would be if BBC iPlayer offered past seasons. This would require both more datacentres for the amount of data processed and probably a lot more cash needed to pay for rights to host it online.

As for BBC channels moving to a subscription model. Channels fulfill most of their remits. BBC One and Two are very popular and watched by all spectrums of the population. BBC Three could rack up a lot more viewership if the content was more original than repeated, for instance it'll tend to run all programming twice before the station shuts down in time for the CBBC channel to start broadcasting.

Part of me thinks that BBC Three and Four could be put into the private BBC company (this exists already) to join the global BBC News service (this may be BBC World Service?, anyway it already has ads if viewing from abroad) and be self-sufficient- Channel 4 is a Public Service Broadcaster publicly owned but running self-sufficiently. I wouldn't be opposed to advertising on those channels. If Cbeebies and CBBC were privatised then there'd be an urgency to keep them ad free which would mean that they would have to run at a loss. Perhaps Cbeebies and CBBC could be behind a TV pay wall?

The Welsh and Scottish governments should have to pay for the running of BBC Alba & Cymru. Up to them how they fund that.

If the TV Licence was easier to pay and cheaper then I think that more people would pay it. It's such a pain in the ass to deal with the TV Licencing people - I'd rather deal with SFE on a bad day! How much money is spent on pursuing student halls? I had a letter WAITING FOR ME despite not having moved in to tell me that I had a TV and needed to pay a licence. No, piss off. With Car Tax becoming easier to pay, the TV Licence should be too.

TV providers (Sky, Virgin etc) should be enforced legally to incorporate the TV licence into their fees to ensure that at least all those customers are paying.

I'd prefer options in this order:
*Simplified* TV licence
\/
Existing TV licence
\/
Part privatised with adverts on some services
\/
All content locked behind paywalls and subscriptions

You make several interesting points. If the BBC's television channels and TV content moved to become a voluntary pay-tv subscription service, do you think the service would cost more, the same, or less than the current level of the licence fee? What would be the likely impact on the scale and scope of its services?
Original post by James222
What I meant was the govt of the day has too much influence on content such as the BBC is the only major media group to use the proper terminology for the bedroom tax even pro tory papers call it the bedroom tax. The entire culture of the BBC is to give deference to authority and the Government .

So my point is more than just media bias, its parliament has to much power on a multi billion dollar media platform from choosing the Head or starting committee reports into its content.

I also dont think the BBC is value for money. BBC also has a false reputation of being impartial and people trust its every word which is quite dangerous.

Fox News ? We already have the daily mail and OFCOM regulations regulate tv even if the BBC goes away

What role do you think Parliament and others should have in relation to the BBC? How should the BBC be held accountable in value for money and other terms? Who should regulate the BBC in cases of complaints over the accuracy and impartiality of its content?
Original post by James222
Its globally recognised because its so powerful and has so many resources not because of its genius investigative reporting like Vice or the Daily Show.

Top gear and Dr Who has very old shows pre 80s when hardly any private sector media. When is the most recent time the BBC produced a top show.

What revenue ? I dont see any benefit in reduced license fee or new content.

Most TV shows are made by independent production companies. British Films generate huge amounts of cash and the creative industry in the UK would do just fine, it would probably prefer 6 billion in tax cuts than sad old toffs at the BBC

Maybe because the BBC forces the rest of them into Bankruptcy and only Murdoch with his american revenue can survive in a market where his main rival have a huge cash advantage. ITV isnt struggling because of competition from murdoch. Channel4 which is also owned by the govt does fine with out murdoch

If there were no BBC or a smaller BBC, what impact do you think that would have on UK-originated TV content?
What role do you think Parliament and others should have in relation to the BBC? How should the BBC be held accountable in value for money and other terms? Who should regulate the BBC in cases of complaints over the accuracy and impartiality of its content?

I think its inevitable that when you have a publicly funded organisation, parliament will want to hold it accountable. Reports suggested Lord Coe a former Conservative Peer was going to Head the BBC, I think that shows the temptation of politicians to influence the BBC. The only proper solution is to either abolish the BBC or make it into a private subscription service.

I think the BBC should face targets like the NHS, in terms of how much of its daily content is new TV shows and how much is repeats/imports . I think the BBC needs to stop attempts as social engineerings like it does in eastenders or Citizen Khan, the muslim community doesnt need to be lectured on how to deal with abusive husbands or gay sons, very lazy streotypes from the 80s. Many black actors have complained about how black people are underrepresented in TV or if they do get roles they are very streotypical. I think a board should be created with input from ethnic minorities which Holds the BBC accountable on racial equality.

I think the Courts should be given greater power to subpoena documents showing the editorial decsion making process. Particularly in foreign affairs, like in Iran or China. We see the majority of guests or contributors or indeed journalist working for local BBC affialtes are all far liberals. Now BBC's local affilates should show a range of views of the locals in Iran and China not just as local liberal politician or employ liberals. Another example during the crises in Syria, a BBC reporter was asking membres of the public their views on Syria but it was staged and they had already selected 2 people which is fine but the BBC reporter only briefly mentioned the lady in favour of intervention in Syria was actually a member of a oppostion group rather than just a random member of the public. The BBC should publish statistics on the background of its guests and contributors every month so no one source is over represented. The BBC refers to Gaddafis troops as mercinaries but blackwater employed by America as contractors this is a example of double standard.

I saw a article about a young man being attacked on a Bus in China for not giving his seat up, and the BBC used that as a oppurtunity to attack China's one child policy and economic equality, absolutely laughable and a consquences of employing too many people from opposition parties .
If there were no BBC or a smaller BBC, what impact do you think that would have on UK-originated TV content?

I dont think it would have much impact, the BBC has produced little new content and still squeezing life out of ideas from TV shows it created in the 70s back when it had a monopoly. The BBC cannot compete in the modern enviroment and is not fit for purpose.

The goverment already has subisides in place to encourage Hollywood studious to film in the UK, maybe the govt should create a grant of around £100 million a year headed by a council made up of Directors and Actors with no politicial association.For indepdent studios to apply for funding for TV dramas or sitcoms once they have ideas written, then the shows can be uploaded on youtube or sold to private companies and if they become really succcesful they can pay the govt back intrest fee etc

The fact the TV licensee fee is used to subsidise govt policy on broadband roll out or international diplomany(BBC Persia) is outreageous abuse of my money and I am not getting the services I am forced to pay for under threat of imprisonment. The UN has declared Internet to be a Human Right, the right to watch TV with out subisding the policy of the govt of the day should be my human right
(edited 9 years ago)
If funded by advertising, would the BBC not become incentivised to chase ratings on all its main channels and services to appeal to those advertisers wishing to reach the largest audiences in order to maximise its commercial income?

In theory but it has the public oversight to keep it in cheque.
I think the system of the Licence fee is brilliant and everyone pays the same amount of money across the board. It is clear and simple. Furthermore, there is a good system where Students, like myself, can claim back 25% of the licence fee as students often move out of uni for the summer which is around 3 months.

For £145.50 a year it represents incredibly good value at around 40p a day and when one thinks about how much of the content we watch, catchup on and listen to are from the BBC, one realises how worthwhile it is paying the licence fee.

It would be a disaster for the BBC if it was to start having adverts. The fact that the BBC has no adverts is its biggest strength and best asset as that is what distinguishes it above all other factors from other broadcasters. I sincerely hope that the BBC continues to be advert free.
I'd prefer it to be publicly owned, funded and administered. A tax would be more progressive than a license fee, but I'm happy with either. I have argued why in another, similar thread.
Original post by ghowell13
I think the system of the Licence fee is brilliant and everyone pays the same amount of money across the board. It is clear and simple. Furthermore, there is a good system where Students, like myself, can claim back 25% of the licence fee as students often move out of uni for the summer which is around 3 months.

For £145.50 a year it represents incredibly good value at around 40p a day and when one thinks about how much of the content we watch, catchup on and listen to are from the BBC, one realises how worthwhile it is paying the licence fee.

It would be a disaster for the BBC if it was to start having adverts. The fact that the BBC has no adverts is its biggest strength and best asset as that is what distinguishes it above all other factors from other broadcasters. I sincerely hope that the BBC continues to be advert free.

^Agreed.

If the BBC were to become a subscription-service, or, even worse, start broadcasting with adverts... That would be a terrible day for the UK.
I think they should move to a subscription based service but it should still receive some public subsidy through general taxation on the provision that it maintains it's public service broadcasting commitments, but the stuff that goes beyond this should be funded through subscription fees rather than a license fee, this fee should be capped by the government at the current level of the license fee though with the same exemptions/reductions for some people and such.
Thank you for all your contributions to the Culture, Media and Sport Select Committee’s inquiry into the future of the BBC.

We collated together all your comments and responses to our questions and they were used to inform the MPs during their questioning of members of the BBC Trust and Rt Hon Sajid Javid MP (Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport) on Tuesday 21 October.

The Committee plans to include a summary of the posts as an annex to its report at the end of the inquiry we expect the report to be published in December we’ll let you know once it’s published.

There were a few points during the evidence session when the Student Room and the information contributed by its users were explicitly mentioned so look out for them! Thank you for all your hard work!

The evidence session is available now to view on Youtube, however we have also picked out some particular points which were raised relating to comments you made regarding the future of the BBC.

[video="youtube;uG6K7fc_Y3w"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG6K7fc_Y3w&feature=yout u.be [/video]

A transcript of the evidence session can be found on the Committee’s webpages:

http://data.parliament.uk/writtenevidence/committeeevidence.svc/evidencedocument/culture-media-and-sport-committee/future-of-the-bbc/oral/14707.html (HTML)

http://data.parliament.uk/writtenevidence/committeeevidence.svc/evidencedocument/culture-media-and-sport-committee/future-of-the-bbc/oral/14707.pdf (PDF)

What are your thoughts on the responses from the BBC Trust representatives and the Minister?

Will you be contributing to the public review of the BBC Charter once it opens?

We will keep you updated on the progress of the inquiry and want to thank you again for the time you have taken to inform the Committee.

Thank you again!
Motorbiker you raised the point in post #117 that £150 might be a lot of money for a student.

Original post by Motorbiker

40p per day adds up to £150 for the year (ish) which is a lot of money for students. That's a month of food with enough left for some nights out. A lot of money.

These points were also raised by John Leech during his questions to the Minister.

Length of response: 2 Minutes (1.55.02-1:56.48)

Q769 Mr Leech: Are you aware that the Committee ran an e-consultation on the student room websites, which suggested that students supported the licence fee as the funding model for the BBC but had raised some concerns about the unfairness of student halls of residence to students living in accommodation outside of halls?

Sajid Javid: I am not aware of that but I am aware that there are some concessions on the licence fee to do with a number of issues, either with age or the number of sets and so forth. Where people have concerns, as you have expressed, when the charter process starts I think that is also a good opportunity for stakeholders, like student groups and others, to put forward their concerns and they can be considered.

Q770 Mr Leech: Do you have a personal view on support for students with licence fee or support for the over-75s with licence fees?

Sajid Javid: I do on the over-75s and I think that is the right thing to do, but also to point out that is not a cost to the BBC. That concession is covered through general taxation.
Tazarooni you mentioned in post #49 (like many other people) that you would be interested in seeing a subscription service.

Original post by tazarooni89
I think it should be paid for via a subscription to BBC's services...
The subscription method seems to me to be sufficient for the moment, and appears not to require any significant overhaul to the system.

This point was raised in discussion with the BBC Trust during the evidence session:

Length of response: 3 Minutes (1.03.58-1.06.42)

Q719 Angie Bray: Just to take you back briefly to the issue around subscription television. Have you done any research or can you see a possibility in the BBC offering particular premium subscription services? Obviously, the bulk of your programming would still be delivered free to air as now, but there might be an opportunity for the BBC offering particular niche type programmes on a subscription basis, which would, of course, alleviate some of the pressure on the licence fee payer. Is that something that you have thought about or looked into?

Rona Fairhead: I think that would be an intelligent way to look forward in terms of the charter review. There are going to be issues with that. I have read the Director-General’s session and feedback to the Select Committee in terms of some of the logistical issues that might have. It is important to say that the BBC should be trying to use sources of funding to make sure that the best value for money is possible. The licence fee is not the only source of funding, as you know, for BBC. BBC Worldwide does bring some money into the BBC and contribute and does raise the profile and have that outreach in being the UK’s place in the world. I think we have to concentrate on that as well, obviously within state aid and commercial issues, and we should be looking at other ways where we can help make the licence fee the best possible value for money.

Q720 Angie Bray: It would allow you to offer some more specialised niche programming that appeals to one section of your audience, if not to all sections. It would, therefore, be a way of funding that without making everybody pay for something that they do not particularly want to watch.

Rona Fairhead: As I said, I think the charter review should look at all sources of income that we could use and then decide. The core of the answer I was addressing was, “Is the licence fee a sensible model as the core?” but I think there are other sources of funding that we should be looking at with a view of making sure we have the funding to make quality programmes, stay impartial, but also give the best value for money.

Q721 Angie Bray: Are you looking into any of this? Are you actively examining some of these other options?

Rona Fairhead: We absolutely will be as part of the charter review. Not now because right now, as you know, it is fixed.

Quick Reply

Latest