The Student Room Group

ICT vs Computer Studies/Science

Reply 1
In ICT you use Microsoft Word. In Computer Science, you make Microsoft Word.
Not overly true, most of what you do in computer science, particularly in early days is make sh*tty little hello world program's and array strings, calculators, but then you learn a programming language and get really good, I've programmed an emulator :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by Nathanbh01233
Not overly true, most of what you do in computer science, particularly in early days is make sh*tty little hello world program's and array strings, calculators, but then you learn a programming language and get really good, I've programmed an emulator :biggrin:

Ugh, I hated having to make command-line programs. It did really start to get interesting when we were introduced to GUIs and object-oriented programming, though. Since then, I have done a lot of experimenting with networks, and been able to get an Android/iOS device to connect to an IM hosted on my PC.
Reply 4
Yeah i'm talking about IGCSE's

Idk which one to take haha
I do computer science for GCSE. Can I just say, taking it up was probably the worst mistake of my life...I mean the terminology and stuff is pretty easy but the coding language (such as python) is disgusting. ICT is easier any day
Reply 6
Original post by saratheawesome
I do computer science for GCSE. Can I just say, taking it up was probably the worst mistake of my life...I mean the terminology and stuff is pretty easy but the coding language (such as python) is disgusting. ICT is easier any day

lols okayy
Reply 7
Original post by saratheawesome

CS might be harder than ICT, but it is worth a lot more. Even a basic understanding of coding is very beneficial, and helps a lot with problem solving.
Reply 8
Computer science at GCSE isn't too difficult as most of the programming side are basic bits of code for beginners to get used to the logic. The only difficult part is remembering the theory as there is a fair bit that you most likely wont have learnt before. I really enjoyed computer science but i would only recommend it if you have some sort of genuine interest and want to learn more.

Quick Reply

Latest