The Student Room Group

How to stop your birthday notification going out on Facebook?

Hey Guys;

Well, I want to try out an experiment out on Facebook where I want to see who can actually remember my birthday without a reminder being set on Facebook.

Anyway, so, I've changed my setting on my birthday to "Only me" on my Birthday and Year and was wondering if this is all I need to do?

Thanks. =)

My birthday is in 6 days and so, want to hide it until the 27th August to see who actually remembers (or bothered remembering) :rolleyes:
As soon as one person posts it on your wall, everyone else will see that in their feed and thus it will spread anyway.

Source: I don't have my birthday on my Facebook.
Sometime in the evening before your birthday, go to the 'Timeline and Tagging' settings on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/settings?tab=timeline) and change 'Who can see what others post on your timeline' to 'Only me'.

That way, whatever birthday messages people post will only be seen by you and the person who posted it.

You could also change the privacy of or prevent people from tagging you.

The only difficulty is if somebody posts on their own timeline wishing you a happy birthday, your mutual friends will see it.

So if Bob posted on on Bob's own timeline saying, 'Happy birthday DarkWhite!', and we have Alice and Eve as mutual friends, Alice and Eve could see Bob's post and decide to wish you happy birthday. I don't tend to find this is very common though so it's not likely :smile:
Original post by DarkWhite
Sometime in the evening before your birthday, go to the 'Timeline and Tagging' settings on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/settings?tab=timeline) and change 'Who can see what others post on your timeline' to 'Only me'.

That way, whatever birthday messages people post will only be seen by you and the person who posted it.

You could also change the privacy of or prevent people from tagging you.

The only difficulty is if somebody posts on their own timeline wishing you a happy birthday, your mutual friends will see it.

So if Bob posted on on Bob's own timeline saying, 'Happy birthday DarkWhite!', and we have Alice and Eve as mutual friends, Alice and Eve could see Bob's post and decide to wish you happy birthday. I don't tend to find this is very common though so it's not likely :smile:

Is there any way to prevent people from tagging me on facebook? :s-smilie:
Original post by Scienceisgood
Is there any way to prevent people from tagging me on facebook? :s-smilie:

Yes, it's in the tagging settings..

You can't stop somebody just saying your name though lol
A simple way.

Don't be on Facebook!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending