The Student Room Group

Law graduate considering PGCE... advice welcomed

Hi all

I graduated with a law degree (2:1) in 2010 and since then I've worked in the legal sector and spent some time abroad. After much thinking these last few months I've decided that I'd like to get into teaching, however I'm struggling to find advice on a suitable subject based on my degree.

I was thinking that English could be an option, with a Law degree involving vast amounts or reading, researching and essay writing. Is a PGCE provider likely to see it this way?

Although I don't have any teaching experience at the moment, I intend to arrange as much as I can this coming September. With my background and the minimal experience is it likely that I will be accepted onto a course for the 2015 start?

Thanks
Reply 1
I completed my law degree in 2010 (2:1) and was accepted on a PGCE in Computer Science which I started this year (I had no real Computer Science experience). I had to complete a DfE skills enhancement course in Computer Science (very helpful - 2 days a week, over eight weeks at University and you got paid to attend). I also spent a couple of days in a secondary school.

Personally I would suggest you get as much 'authentic' time in schools and speak to those who have recently completed the PGCE / NQT induction year, as sitting at the back of a classroom does not give you a full picture of teaching (marking, reports, tracking data, meetings etc). I have since found I enjoy being in primary schools more than secondary, something I would never have thought before.

I would love to teach law, but the reality is that there are very few schools that follow a full time syllabus, so it's best to train in a subject that is in demand (Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Computer Science) and during interviews explain how you are open to teaching Law, which should give you that extra bit of added value for the school.
Reply 2
Original post by Steven_1
Hi all

I graduated with a law degree (2:1) in 2010 and since then I've worked in the legal sector and spent some time abroad. After much thinking these last few months I've decided that I'd like to get into teaching, however I'm struggling to find advice on a suitable subject based on my degree.

I was thinking that English could be an option, with a Law degree involving vast amounts or reading, researching and essay writing. Is a PGCE provider likely to see it this way?

Although I don't have any teaching experience at the moment, I intend to arrange as much as I can this coming September. With my background and the minimal experience is it likely that I will be accepted onto a course for the 2015 start?

Thanks

I know two teachers at my college with law degrees and they teach business subjects. They usually teach the law aspects of the course.

One teacher graduated in 2011 and dropped out her lpc or something and got the job straight away with no experience (obviously after she completed her teacher training course)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Upon completion of my PGCE next June, I was thinking about either doing an LPC or Masters and then on paper I meet the minimum academic requirements to lecture within a University......admittedly I think its a more of case of who you know within the University at that point.
Law at gcse/A level?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending