The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mills98
I would expect something on the Teleological Argument to come up. That hasn't been asked since Jan 2013 and has only been asked 3 times in total. Could be explain Aquinas, or explain Hume's criticisms.

Kant or Freud is a possibility too.

Thank you! But I'm devastated that the Cosmological and Judaeo-Christian V PM may not come up! They're some of my favourite topics!!

Hume's criticisms... is that in reference to existence by definition... For example a dour legged horse, etc? And when referring to Aquinas are we talking about his Five ways, teleological or both? Kant, mehh predicate I'm working on it...

BUT WHAT I'M REALLY WORRIED ABOUT IS FREUD?! My class has a tendency to deviate from the main objective of the lessons, so we didn't get to cover this topic in depth because students were going off in a tangent. I know this is in regards to the Moral Argument but... I struggle slightly with this topic. I'll go over my class notes and find some videos on YouTube.

But in the meantime; do you think you could explain Freud?
Original post by Iggy Azalea
Hi everyone :hello:

This is an open thread for anybody taking A Level Philosophy. Feel free to exchange notes/essays, ask for exam advice, clear up any confusion and chat about the subject in general.

Here are the provisional exam dates:

AS:
Philosophy of Religion - Thursday 14th May
Religious Ethics - Tuesday 19th May

A2:
Philosophy of Religion - Wednesday 10th June
Religious Ethics - Wednesday 17th June

(NOW CONFIRMED DATES)

Specifications
The full specification can be found here.
Philosophy specification can be found here.
Ethics equivalent and revision source is here.

Recommended Study sites:

YouTube (especially 1, 2 and 3)
RS Revision
Philosophical Investigations (new site for Philosophy and Ethics)
Project Gutenberg (for finding quotes)
Stanford Philosophy
IEP

Books:

OCR Student Book (AS & A2)
P&E Through Diagrams (1)
AS OCR Workbook (Philosophy, Ethics)
A2 OCR Workbook (Philosophy, Ethics)
AS/A2 Religious Ethics textbook (1)
AS/A2 Philosophy of Religion textbook (1)
Understanding Philosophy of Religion for AS & A2 (1)
Understanding Religious Ethics for AS & A2 (1)

*Remember you don't need to buy these at all, just head to the library.
** Or you can buy used copies from either Amazon or eBay at fair prices.

Other Study Resources:

Text to Mind Map
Quizlet
Memorangapp

ENJOY!

Hi Iggy
A) you're revision materials are great
B) Thank you for creating this thread!!
C) Do YOU have any predictions for the AS exam?
Hey guys,

I did OCR Philosophy of Religion and Ethics and am selling both my philosophy and ethics textbooks I used. They were really helpful to me so I hope they'll be of help to one of you! They're both at 0.99p auction! They are highlighted and have some notes written inside but they'll only be of help to you :smile:

Philosophy: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141628192512?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Ethics: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141628194019?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Thank you!
Georgina
Reply 63
New to TSR so still getting to grips.

I am re-sitting the OCR philosophy AS in june and am wondering does anyone have an ideal answer layout for parts A and B of the questions.

i.e. make 3 points for part B and then explain why they support your view.
Reply 64
Who knows the philosophy question about science of religion that OCR asked last year? Part a and b.
thanks in advance
Anyone need help with ethics?

My philosophy book has sold but ethics book is still on eBay for 99p!
It really is a useful book: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141635461428?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Topics covered:

- An intro to ethics
- Absolutism and relativism
- Natural moral law
- Utilitarianism
- Kant
- Naturalism and intuitionism
- Emotivism and prescriptivism
- Determinism and free will
- Situation ethics

- Religion and morality
- Buddhist, Christian and Muslim ethics
- Conscience
- Secular ethics

- Sexual ethics and homosexuality
- Abortion
- IVF and embryo research
- Euthanasia
- Business ethics
- Environmental ethics
- Justice and punishment
- War and peace
- Rights: human and animal
- Human cloning
Reply 66
Don't know if anyone is in the same position as me, but at my school, we haven't finished religion and science topic for philosophy AS and war and peace topic for ethics AS. As there is four choices of questions, I'm tempted to just learn the other topics, and then it won't matter if I don't know one topic will it?

Also, what are predictions for ethics and philosophy AS questions this year?
Original post by anniemp
Don't know if anyone is in the same position as me, but at my school, we haven't finished religion and science topic for philosophy AS and war and peace topic for ethics AS. As there is four choices of questions, I'm tempted to just learn the other topics, and then it won't matter if I don't know one topic will it?

Also, what are predictions for ethics and philosophy AS questions this year?

There was a question on both of those topics last summer, so for topics to miss out they're good ones to go for as they're a little less likely to come up - having said that, the war and peace topic is quite small and straightforward (it was the most interesting too, imo) so it could be worth teaching yourself that if there's another ethics topic you dislike.
In Utilitarianism, if Bentham viewed all pleasure as being equal, what's the purpose of the Hendonic Calculus? Since the Hedonic Calculus measures pleasure using numerical values and thereby allowing comparison, doesn't that contradict his core belief?

EDIT: Got it. Bentham speaks of comparison between pleasure and pain as oppose to experiences of pleasure.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 69
Sorry I keep asking questions in this thread! But basically, I was looking at all past questions for the AS ethics papers. Every one of them seems to have two questions that are applying an ethical theory to an ethical issue, and then two that are just the ethical theories. Would it be risky if I didn't learn the ethical issues, and just focused on the ethical theories? I hate applying the theories!!
Original post by anniemp
Sorry I keep asking questions in this thread! But basically, I was looking at all past questions for the AS ethics papers. Every one of them seems to have two questions that are applying an ethical theory to an ethical issue, and then two that are just the ethical theories. Would it be risky if I didn't learn the ethical issues, and just focused on the ethical theories? I hate applying the theories!!

I wouldn't risk it. Although part a may be on purely the ethical theories, there is a possibility that part b of the same question would be the application of the theory. Question 1 from the January 2013 paper does this.

On the other hand for Philosophy of Religion, you can afford to do that. There is always a minimum of one and/or a maximum of two questions regarding traditional arguments for the existence of God.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by hambo95
New to TSR so still getting to grips.

I am re-sitting the OCR philosophy AS in june and am wondering does anyone have an ideal answer layout for parts A and B of the questions.

i.e. make 3 points for part B and then explain why they support your view.

Part A (45 mins):

Intro
Paragraph 1
Paragraph 2
Paragraph 3
Paragraph 4 (if you have enough time)
Conclusion

Part B (15 mins):

Personal opinion
Counter argument
Personal opinion
Counter argument
Conclusion
Does anyone have any advice on writing A2 essays (particularly for philosophy)? I'm averaging Bs and the occasional As in my essays at the moment, but I can't work out what is the best structure for my essays and how to best approach to the questions given :smile:
Original post by newrecord
Does anyone have any advice on writing A2 essays (particularly for philosophy)? I'm averaging Bs and the occasional As in my essays at the moment, but I can't work out what is the best structure for my essays and how to best approach to the questions given :smile:

Explain argument by philosopher
Discuss criticisms of point by other philosophers
Suggest a different argument by a philosopher
Discuss criticisms of point by other philosophers

Repeat 3-4 times

Easy
Original post by newrecord

Don't fret over this. If you're getting Bs and As then stick to it. Philosophy questions can sometimes be worded so horrendously (I did it last yr). We did and looked at every exam paper and when we went into the exam, they changed the wording of their exams and threw us off guard.

I think for A2, content is way more important. Essay structure is obviously important, but it's pointless having a perfect structure if you have nothing to say! Make sure you just know your knowledge. Stick to whatever structrure you're getting. You don't need to aim that high. It's unnecessary and might cause stress.
Does anyone have predictions for the AS paper? I'm thinking natural law but I'm not sure what else

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know what came up last year in A2 philosophy?
Also if anyone knows what might come up this year for A2 philo and ethics that would be great :smile:
Original post by BrendhaUchiha
Does anyone have predictions for the AS paper? I'm thinking natural law but I'm not sure what else

Posted from TSR Mobile
possibly teleological argument
Reply 78
Original post by intelligent con
possibly teleological argument

Theres some toke good model answers on here

http://rsisbest.blogspot.co.uk/2014_05_01_archive.html
Reply 79
Original post by Iggy Azalea
Hi everyone :hello:

This is an open thread for anybody taking A Level Philosophy. Feel free to exchange notes/essays, ask for exam advice, clear up any confusion and chat about the subject in general.

Here are the provisional exam dates:

AS:
Philosophy of Religion - Thursday 14th May
Religious Ethics - Tuesday 19th May

A2:
Philosophy of Religion - Wednesday 10th June
Religious Ethics - Wednesday 17th June

(NOW CONFIRMED DATES)

Specifications
The full specification can be found here.
Philosophy specification can be found here.
Ethics equivalent and revision source is here.

Recommended Study sites:

YouTube (especially 1, 2 and 3)
RS Revision
Philosophical Investigations (new site for Philosophy and Ethics)
Project Gutenberg (for finding quotes)
Stanford Philosophy
IEP

Books:

OCR Student Book (AS & A2)
P&E Through Diagrams (1)
AS OCR Workbook (Philosophy, Ethics)
A2 OCR Workbook (Philosophy, Ethics)
AS/A2 Religious Ethics textbook (1)
AS/A2 Philosophy of Religion textbook (1)
Understanding Philosophy of Religion for AS & A2 (1)
Understanding Religious Ethics for AS & A2 (1)

*Remember you don't need to buy these at all, just head to the library.
** Or you can buy used copies from either Amazon or eBay at fair prices.

Other Study Resources:

Text to Mind Map
Quizlet
Memorangapp

ENJOY!

anyone have the past papers for last year? not on OCR website. desperately needed!

Latest