The Student Room Group

I got a B in AS Chemistry. Should I even bother applying?

I have to admit, I rarely did any productive work throughout the year. But closer to exams, I got a tutor, I made notes from my textbook and I did past papers.

And I still got a low A in my unit 1 paper (I was about 3 marks into an A) and a C in unit 2 (Edexcel). I tried so hard for unit 1, i found the exam easy, but i still only just got an A. With unit 2, i went into the exam quite unprepared but found it easy, so the C was surprising.

I don't know what to do. Unit 1 is meant to be the easiest, and i worked hard for it and found the exam easy.

Does this mean i'm bad at chemistry? Should i apply for pharmacy (which has a lot of a chemistry)? Can i improve this year and do better, even though A2 chemistry is harder?

I was only 5 marks into a B. I feel so bad for having wasted my parents' money on a tutor and not having done as well as i had hoped.

Is there any hope of me getting an A in A level chemistry? How can i do better?

Should i retake unit 1 as well as unit 2, or should i focus on getting good marks in my A2 exams instead?
Reply 1
:frown:
I think if you feel confident that you did well in the Unit 1 paper you should get remarked because it seems like you were surprised by the low A for that exam. I'm unsure myself as I also got a low A for that Unit 1 paper (96/120) but I thought it was quite easy & I had been getting over 70/80 for the past papers. Overall, I got a B in edexcel AS chemistry even though I got 2 As in the exam but an E in the coursework :frown:. I'm only 3 UMS off an A overall & I'm unsure about what to do too.
Do you reckon it's worth remarking the Unit 1 paper even though it's JUST an A?
But on the plus side, don't worry about the B overall because you can still get an A or even an A* if you work harder next year. So definitely apply, don't give up yet!
Reply 4
Original post by nonylicious
I think if you feel confident that you did well in the Unit 1 paper you should get remarked because it seems like you were surprised by the low A for that exam. I'm unsure myself as I also got a low A for that Unit 1 paper (96/120) but I thought it was quite easy & I had been getting over 70/80 for the past papers. Overall, I got a B in edexcel AS chemistry even though I got 2 As in the exam but an E in the coursework :frown:. I'm only 3 UMS off an A overall & I'm unsure about what to do too.
Do you reckon it's worth remarking the Unit 1 paper even though it's JUST an A?

I don't know :s-smilie: i might get it remarked, but it was an easy exam so maybe the grade boundaries were low and i found one of the 4 mark questions hard so maybe i messed it up.

We're in almost the same situation :eek: i'm definitely resitting unit 2, but i'm not sure if i should do unit 1 too :frown:
the thing is 1) it's the easiest unit, and i don't know if i'll do well ienough in those to get an A and 2) would it actually be beneficial to retake- is there much overlap in terms of the content?

But 3 UMS isn't a lot, if i were you i would try harder next year :smile:

But on the plus side, don't worry about the B overall because you can still get an A or even an A* if you work harder next year. So definitely apply, don't give up yet!

I know but it gets a lot more difficult next year :frown: i just dont know if i'll be able to do well in the A2 units
Original post by new.member
I don't know :s-smilie: i might get it remarked, but it was an easy exam so maybe the grade boundaries were low and i found one of the 4 mark questions hard so maybe i messed it up.

We're in almost the same situation :eek: i'm definitely resitting unit 2, but i'm not sure if i should do unit 1 too :frown:
the thing is 1) it's the easiest unit, and i don't know if i'll do well ienough in those to get an A and 2) would it actually be beneficial to retake- is there much overlap in terms of the content?

But 3 UMS isn't a lot, if i were you i would try harder next year :smile:

I know but it gets a lot more difficult next year :frown: i just dont know if i'll be able to do well in the A2 units

I'm sure you'll do better, it's hard but it's not impossible.
I'm sure you'll do better, it's hard but it's not impossible.

And also, I'd say just redo unit 2 and not unit 1 (cos you've already got an A in that)
Reply 7
And also, I'd say just redo unit 2 and not unit 1 (cos you've already got an A in that)

But I got a low A in unit 1. A2 is harder so i don't think i'll do as well, so i'm thinking i could retake the easier unit which could make up for the marks lost at A2 if i do badly.

At the same time i'm thinking that i tried really hard for unit 1, and the paper was easy so if i resat i dont think i'd come out with higher UMS.
Reply 8
I got B in chemistry and I'm in my fourth year ! I don't know if the requirements for chemistry have increased though (I hope not). But I found it fairy easy to get firsts in my uni exams even though I got a B 😊
Reply 9
Original post by Paolat
I got B in chemistry and I'm in my fourth year ! I don't know if the requirements for chemistry have increased though (I hope not). But I found it fairy easy to get firsts in my uni exams even though I got a B

So i will still get offers even if i'm predicted a B?

Thank you for replying :smile:
Original post by Paolat
I got B in chemistry and I'm in my fourth year ! I don't know if the requirements for chemistry have increased though (I hope not). But I found it fairy easy to get firsts in my uni exams even though I got a B ������

which uni?
Definitely don't give up, I got a B in chemistry and I'm about to do my second year of pharmacy at uni. :biggrin:
I got a B at AS (better UMS admittedly) but still got an A by the end of A2. Hope is not lost, and a B isn't the end - it's natural to start rethinking your choices and decisions once you get results you're not so happy with. If pharmacy was your goal, then try for it.

Don't bother retake unit 1 - you've done enough on it. I didn't do Exedcel so not too sure how it all lines up, but if it contained organic chemistry or stuff like that then I suspect the A2 modules will build on some of that, so the AS unit will probably seem a lot easier by the end. It could be worth retaking that one, with a little bit of effort (past papers and some light revision - priority should be A2 modules).

The summer paper was always bigger on my exam board so there's a much greater chance of you gaining more UMS by focusing on that, if that's the case with Edexcel.
Hey there, I would suggest to retake Unit 2, it would be silly to retake unit 1 (i do chem edexcel) because you got a high A, and A2 is WAAY harder than AS, so thing about those 6 (or however many you would normally do at A2) exams of hell PLUS another 2 from the hardest subject known to mankind? I'd feel so pressurised feel like utter ****. And if you're retaking more units from OTHER subjects it would be even harder!! Yes, unit 1 is easier, but Unit 2 is more interesting, And you will be able to pick up more marks because it was a C. But it depends on what you want. And pharm applicants is I think AAB (?) My friend wants to do that so yeah, she got ABBC with the C in chem. . .
Reply 14
Original post by Nymthae
I got a B at AS (better UMS admittedly) but still got an A by the end of A2. Hope is not lost, and a B isn't the end - it's natural to start rethinking your choices and decisions once you get results you're not so happy with. If pharmacy was your goal, then try for it.

Don't bother retake unit 1 - you've done enough on it. I didn't do Exedcel so not too sure how it all lines up, but if it contained organic chemistry or stuff like that then I suspect the A2 modules will build on some of that, so the AS unit will probably seem a lot easier by the end. It could be worth retaking that one, with a little bit of effort (past papers and some light revision - priority should be A2 modules).

The summer paper was always bigger on my exam board so there's a much greater chance of you gaining more UMS by focusing on that, if that's the case with Edexcel.

Thank you for the advice, i'll probably resit unit 2 only.

Original post by theJdog
Hey there, I would suggest to retake Unit 2, it would be silly to retake unit 1 (i do chem edexcel) because you got a high A, and A2 is WAAY harder than AS, so thing about those 6 (or however many you would normally do at A2) exams of hell PLUS another 2 from the hardest subject known to mankind? I'd feel so pressurised feel like utter ****. And if you're retaking more units from OTHER subjects it would be even harder!! Yes, unit 1 is easier, but Unit 2 is more interesting, And you will be able to pick up more marks because it was a C. But it depends on what you want. And pharm applicants is I think AAB (?) My friend wants to do that so yeah, she got ABBC with the C in chem. . .

I got a low A in the unit 1 paper (i think), but i dont think it would be worth resitting. I need a B for pharmacy, but i really want an A, so i dont know what to do.
Reply 15
Original post by ~amethyst~
which uni?

Nottingham

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending