The Student Room Group

20 ucas points short- could i get in?

I'm taking a gap year and applying with my grades for a 2015 entry.

I have B, C, D at A-level which is 260 points and i also have an AS C grade.

My course only accepts either 3 A-levels or 2 Alevels and 2 AS.

So...

Chances of getting in?

I'm hoping to study Business Management with Entrepreneurship at Notts Trent.
Well you currently don't meet the entry requirements for the course, so surely you are considering resitting a module or two (for the 'D' subject or possibly the 'C')?

I think you should apply for resits. Even if none of them go up, if you've been given an offer they may be lenient and let you in anyway. However, if they know, upon giving you an unconditional, you won't reach their preferred entry grades then I'm not sure why they would give you an offer.

So if you study and retake I think your chances are extremely high, if you retake and don't study 50/50 and if you apply and don't resit then slightly below average.
Most probably.
Reply 3
I'm getting my D grade re-marked because it was just a couple marks off a C.

Will have very impressive experience on my gap year relevant to the course so i think this may sway them
It's probably worth applying, but do make sure that you apply to 2-3 unis whose entry requirements you do meet, just to be on the safe side :smile:
Reply 5
Any more thoughts/ personal experience?
Original post by cdude
Any more thoughts/ personal experience?

I hear what you are saying about the gap year experience but the reality is that they will look at the grades obtained and see they are not "good enough" as a consequence they may just dismiss your application straight away (they may not)

If you were looking to retake any units they could give you a conditional offer and then they may be lenient at the point of results (they may not)
As you've already got the grades and don't meet the requirements, I would put money on that being a no.

I'm not at Notts Trent, but it might be worth calling and asking - I'm from a similar type of university, though, and we would not even consider you. It doesn't matter what your gap year had been spent doing: it would still be a categorical no. It's well worth either a remark, if you genuinely think there's been an error, or a resit, if that's where you really want to be.
Original post by TenOfThem
I hear what you are saying about the gap year experience but the reality is that they will look at the grades obtained and see they are not "good enough" as a consequence they may just dismiss your application straight away (they may not)

If you were looking to retake any units they could give you a conditional offer and then they may be lenient at the point of results (they may not)

Worth pointing out too that if you had a conditional based on resits, often a university like Trent will take you even if you miss by 20 points, as long as a course is going in to clearing (ie, it's not already full)
Original post by KatetheLecturer
Worth pointing out too that if you had a conditional based on resits, often a university like Trent will take you even if you miss by 20 points, as long as a course is going in to clearing (ie, it's not already full)

That was my point

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending