The Student Room Group

Work experience and Big 4

I know this has come up a few times, but specifically, what kind of jobs did you have and how long before you got onto your grad scheme?

I'm asking because, I literally haven't had a job since I was in sixth form, and I'm 21 now. I'm hoping to get onto a grad scheme for one of the big 4 for September 2015. I've passed the online stages and scheduled the interviews for quite later on.

So just wondering what sort of jobs I should get to fill the time between then...I'm having a look now at some full time admin stuff and everything requires prior experience and I'm not having much luck at the moment. Is part time work enough to fulfil competencies?
Original post by TwoManMidfield
I know this has come up a few times, but specifically, what kind of jobs did you have and how long before you got onto your grad scheme?

I'm asking because, I literally haven't had a job since I was in sixth form, and I'm 21 now. I'm hoping to get onto a grad scheme for one of the big 4 for September 2015. I've passed the online stages and scheduled the interviews for quite later on.

So just wondering what sort of jobs I should get to fill the time between then...I'm having a look now at some full time admin stuff and everything requires prior experience and I'm not having much luck at the moment. Is part time work enough to fulfil competencies?

Why have you delayed your interviews? You realise these jobs are first come first serve right?
Original post by Hedgeman49
Why have you delayed your interviews? You realise these jobs are first come first serve right?

Don't feel confident with answering competencies with just university experience. I do indeed, but that's a risk I'm willing to take, and I don't particularly mind if my application were to be transferred to another office.
Worked for two years in bar at uni, did a week's work experience in HR. Currently working in Big 4 audit in London. Non relevant degree but was a first.
Big 4 audit here. I did a relevant finance internship in my 2nd year so that did help raise my commercial awareness and give things to talk about at the interview stage, but I would in no way say that its essential.

I'd say its not make or break having relevant work experience but it can help you.
Original post by TwoManMidfield

Competencies don't just come from work. You can use examples from university societies, sports clubs, other hobbies or even just general university life .A common one I've used whenever asked about dealing with multiple priorities is my final year of university where I had a large research project/dissertation to complete alongside regular essays and problem sets for my modules as well as helping a society organise a large event. I've also used planning for revision, creating incentives by giving myself days off etc as an example of effective planning and working towards a long term goal - a 1st class degree. Another was working with a large team of around 30 people within a society to organise a large event on campus. I also used an example from way back in sixth form where I worked in a team of 6 for a competition our school entered.

I also used examples from my saturday jobs during sixth form at John Lewis and WHSmith for competency questions.

Other than the saturday jobs during sixth form I did have 6 months of temporary work doing general admin once I graduated from university but I only used that as the basis to answer a couple of questions. Without it I could have probably come up with other examples from my time in sixth form, part time jobs during sixth form and time at university.

It is certainly not a requirement to have highly relevant work experience to get in to the Big 4. What is definitely required is being able to turn any experiences that you do have under your belt, which does not have to be highly relevant work experience, into effective answers for competency questions.
Thanks for all the advice guys, much appreciated. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest