The Student Room Group

Is worth applying for the course? Or should I look elsewhere?

Hi :smile:, I am in a bit of a conundrum as I am incredibly interested in studying Icelandic for a degree (Please no one tell me it's not worth it. It will not change my mind.) but, foolishly not taking any language A-levels because I wanted to focus on Nordic languages independently has left me at a disadvantage. I have decent gcses and on track for solid As in my A-levels. It says a language a-level is 'preferred' by not 'required', however, I am guessing it would severely limit my chances of success by not having one. I am hoping that, as I have put lots of effort into learning Icelandic since leaving secondary school and immerse myself in Iceland's culture everyday through film, literature, radio and even my coursework at college, that I can prove myself through my personal statement as my enthusiasm for the degree is absolutely endless. I did three languages at gcse but I doubt that means anything at all.
Seeing as it's only offered at one university, I don't want to apply if it's a fruitless thing to do but then again, it's all I want to do!
So, do you think it's worth it, wise tsr users? Or shall I not bother? :s-smilie:
Definitely apply! It sounds like you have a real passion for it, so if you can convey that in your PS I think they'll accept you. Plus that you did 3 languages at GCSE shows you have the capability for it (I'm assuming you got decent grades here though???).

Best of luck :P
Original post by Faroelff
Hi :smile:, I am in a bit of a conundrum as I am incredibly interested in studying Icelandic for a degree (Please no one tell me it's not worth it. It will not change my mind.) but, foolishly not taking any language A-levels because I wanted to focus on Nordic languages independently has left me at a disadvantage. I have decent gcses and on track for solid As in my A-levels. It says a language a-level is 'preferred' by not 'required', however, I am guessing it would severely limit my chances of success by not having one. I am hoping that, as I have put lots of effort into learning Icelandic since leaving secondary school and immerse myself in Iceland's culture everyday through film, literature, radio and even my coursework at college, that I can prove myself through my personal statement as my enthusiasm for the degree is absolutely endless. I did three languages at gcse but I doubt that means anything at all.
Seeing as it's only offered at one university, I don't want to apply if it's a fruitless thing to do but then again, it's all I want to do!
So, do you think it's worth it, wise tsr users? Or shall I not bother? :s-smilie:

If it interests you then definitely apply! I think you have a very good chance of admittance. I wouldn't worry about not having an A level in a language, they do take students with little or no language experience as long as they can demonstrate an interest in the subject and a willingness to learn. I don't have an A level in a language and I'm going there to study Norwegian. :smile:

The Scandinavian Studies thread has a poster (Antonward) who is currently doing Icelandic, I believe he did an Access course so I doubt he has an A level in a language either.
Reply 3
Thanks to everyone who has responded. It makes feel a lot more confident about applying and I definitely think I'll go for it! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending