The Student Room Group

would these grades get me in? help appreciated!!

I'm 20 and I am planning on applying for University for next year.

At sixth form my grades were as follows:

A-levels

Psychology B (Narrowly missing off from getting an A)

PE B (Also narrowly missing off getting an A)

AS-levels

Psychology B

biology D

English language C

PE C

While at sixth form I didn't really pay attention much about the application process as I didn't have intentions of going. So I was wondering if I have enough UCAS points here/ grades to be accepted? I have recently used a UCAS calculator using all of the above grades mentioned and scored 410 points (Although I am not sure if this was relevant to 2013 when I achieved these grades)

In the future I find careers like Teaching/primary education, Sports science/coaching, adult mental health and paramedic interesting so I will be looking at all coursers directly related and similar to those.

Also, I have (or so I believe at the moment) lost my Results on paper, is there anyway I can receive another copy of these for when I have to reference them in the future? (typical unorganised lad!)

Any help would be massively appreciated as I have been tearing my hair out over this for a while haha!:smile:
Reply 1
If you lost your paper results, best thing to do would be to ring your college/high school and they can send you another replacement one. About your uni course, best thing to do would be to email the unis you are interested in and ask whether they`d accept you with those grades. Good luck! :smile:
I'm afraid that you don't have as many points as you have calculated. This doesn't mean to say you can't get into university however AS-levels are no longer qualifications in their own right when you go onto finish the A-level therefore you have: B in A-level PE and B in A-level Psychology and then an AS level in English and Biology. Overall this would equate to: 100 + 100 + 40 + 30 Ucas points which is 270. (I think) I'm sure about the first statement. Best of luck!
Original post by Mav455
If you lost your paper results, best thing to do would be to ring your college/high school and they can send you another replacement one. About your uni course, best thing to do would be to email the unis you are interested in and ask whether they`d accept you with those grades. Good luck! :smile:

Cheers for the advice! would they be able to replace them considering I left over a year ago? Also, If I emailed the uni's would they be able to tell me straight or would they still recommend just going through the normal application process? :smile:
Original post by Robocop656
I'm afraid that you don't have as many points as you have calculated. This doesn't mean to say you can't get into university however AS-levels are no longer qualifications in their own right when you go onto finish the A-level therefore you have: B in A-level PE and B in A-level Psychology and then an AS level in English and Biology. Overall this would equate to: 100 + 100 + 40 + 30 Ucas points which is 270. (I think) I'm sure about the first statement. Best of luck!

So essentially my AS English and AS biology don't count? will any university look beyond this a let me have the UCAS points they are worth, seems unfair because I do feel I gained some knowledge in those areas from the AS courses!

If you take a look at this course (Primary education)
http://www.shu.ac.uk/prospectus/course/555/entry/

would I be able to get on this course It specifies 300UCAS from 2 A-levels, I have the two grade B's but obviously fall slightly short over all considering those two AS-levels don't count! do you think they'd let me on this course considering I've done some work in primary schools in the past? this involved taking PE lessons as part of my PE coursework.

Cheers for the response anyway:smile:
Original post by Liverpool1994
So essentially my AS English and AS biology don't count? will any university look beyond this a let me have the UCAS points they are worth, seems unfair because I do feel I gained some knowledge in those areas from the AS courses!

If you take a look at this course (Primary education)
http://www.shu.ac.uk/prospectus/course/555/entry/

would I be able to get on this course It specifies 300UCAS from 2 A-levels, I have the two grade B's but obviously fall slightly short over all considering those two AS-levels don't count! do you think they'd let me on this course considering I've done some work in primary schools in the past? this involved taking PE lessons as part of my PE coursework.

Cheers for the response anyway:smile:

You might get on it since you already have your grades but don't get your hopes up. For this kind of course you'll probably need a decent amount of work experience so if you get that and then go above and beyond what most normally do they may let you in with reduced A levels, this would likely mean doing some long term volunteering or paid work in an environment with children, preferably a school.

Otherwise it might be worth resitting some exams to get your UCAS points up. If you can, do an EPQ as it will teach you a bit more about primary teaching and count towards your UCAS points.

Your AS biology and english do count, it's just AS psychology and PE which don't as you've done the full A level.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Helloworld_95
You might get on it since you already have your grades but don't get your hopes up. For this kind of course you'll probably need a decent amount of work experience so if you get that and then go above and beyond what most normally do they may let you in with reduced A levels, this would likely mean doing some long term volunteering or paid work in an environment with children, preferably a school.

Otherwise it might be worth resitting some exams to get your UCAS points up. If you can, do an EPQ as it will teach you a bit more about primary teaching and count towards your UCAS points.

Your AS biology and english do count, it's just AS psychology and PE which don't as you've done the full A level.

Hi I currently have about 8 weeks experience working in primary schools although I'm not sure this would be sufficient enough to sway things in my favour!

What is an EPQ? I have considered going back and doing one A-level but firstly, I'm unsure if they'd let me in to do just one and secondly I have a full time job in accountancy so it would be difficult to work an A-level around that considering I work 9-5 and my manger wouldn't allow me to be missing for 2-3 days due to how counter productive that would be!

May sound a daft question but is there any A-levels I could basically just do at home and which I'd only have to into sixth from very occasionally to give an update on how I'm doing with it? Is so this would be great for my chances
Hi I currently have about 8 weeks experience working in primary schools although I'm not sure this would be sufficient enough to sway things in my favour!

What is an EPQ? I have considered going back and doing one A-level but firstly, I'm unsure if they'd let me in to do just one and secondly I have a full time job in accountancy so it would be difficult to work an A-level around that considering I work 9-5 and my manger wouldn't allow me to be missing for 2-3 days due to how counter productive that would be!

May sound a daft question but is there any A-levels I could basically just do at home and which I'd only have to into sixth from very occasionally to give an update on how I'm doing with it? Is so this would be great for my chances

Hmm that's really good but I'm not sure it would be enough experience for them to accept you with lower grades.

An EPQ is an extended essay (~5000 words) on a topic of your choice, it's graded and comes with UCAS points equivalent to an AS level.

You might be able to find a college near you which does night classes, alternatively you could organise all the exams yourself and learn for them yourself however this would mean you couldn't do any A levels which have a coursework component.

A-levels

AS-levels

Psychology B

biology D

English language C

PE C

While at sixth form I didn't really pay attention much about the application process as I didn't have intentions of going. So I was wondering if I have enough UCAS points here/ grades to be accepted? I have recently used a UCAS calculator using all of the above grades mentioned and scored 410 points (Although I am not sure if this was relevant to 2013 when I achieved these grades)

In the future I find careers like Teaching/primary education, Sports science/coaching, adult mental health and paramedic interesting so I will be looking at all coursers directly related and similar to those.

You've done well although your total would be closer to 260 not 410 points, which is still good!

Most universities should consider you although you may want to get a bit more organised by the time you apply :wink:

At the University of Bolton, we have recently launched a new accelerated two year Education and Learning degree. We also do four courses in Sports taught at our new £31m Health, Research and Leisure centre, which would be ideal for a student looking to advance into the field. The centre also hosted the Fijian and Welsh Rugby WC team this year.

Give me a shout if you want some advice on course selection, UCAS, or finance. Will try my best to help.

Saf
Marketing and Recruitment Officer
I have considered going back and doing one A-level but firstly, I'm unsure if they'd let me in to do just one and secondly I have a full time job in accountancy so it would be difficult to work an A-level around that considering I work 9-5 and my manger wouldn't allow me to be missing for 2-3 days due to how counter productive that would be!

You could possiblyself- study maths at home and then just attend any exam centre for the exams, no course work to worry about. It would be a relevant A level for just about any course. You might also find a local college running evening classes at A level, some do offer this but it would probably take 2 years unless you carried on with Biology or English Language. You could do an open university course to get extra credit or apply to foundation year courses.
If you could bare to hold off for another year on top, and don't fancy taking any more A levels (the EPQ is a good idea, but not all universities accept it), apply as a mature student: you are treated differently in terms of admission requirements in many post-92 universities, plus it will give you a chance to get more schools' experience - many education degrees interview you, so extra experience is like a way of proving you know what you're getting into and can do it.
Reply 11
Cheers for the advice! would they be able to replace them considering I left over a year ago? Also, If I emailed the uni's would they be able to tell me straight or would they still recommend just going through the normal application process? :smile:
I dont think they give the actual certificates, only a paper stating your grades and they should do as you were a student there.
Regarding the unis, I`d personally recommend emailing as they will pass it on to the course directors who`ll give you an answer. Its probably better than applying and possibly getting rejected, wasting one of your choices. But like I said its up to you, good luck :smile:
For my GSCEs I got 2A*'s 13A's and 1B. Since I only got 2A*'s are my GCSE's going to be good enough for medical school since the average student has about 8 A*s at GCSE?

A-levels

AS-levels

Psychology B

biology D

English language C

PE C

Also, I have (or so I believe at the moment) lost my Results on paper, is there anyway I can receive another copy of these for when I have to reference them in the future? (typical unorganised lad!)

Any help would be massively appreciated as I have been tearing my hair out over this for a while haha!:smile:

You only have 200 points. Unless you find a uni that will count your AS grades as tariff points also. I have had quick look and this is what I've found. All these courses you should be able to apply for with your A levels, but obviously do further research, don't just take my word for it as i've only done a quick search :redface:

Spoiler

There are probably others you can apply for too, have a look around and email different university admissions as they should be able to say whether they will accept your results, even if you do have lower than what they are asking for.

Honestly i think you have good A levels and think you should consider taking a third A level. As this would allow you to apply to lots more universities. There are lots of colleges with allow you to do a 'fast track A level' which allows you to do both your AS and A2 in one year and so you could still apply for universities for 2015 entry, but because you are doing another A level, you will have loads more options :smile:

Concerning your A level certificates, you will need to call the exam boards and pay for a replacement as lots of universities will need this as proof.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending