The Student Room Group

Medicine Resit Applicants 2015 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Curlsss
Yeah if you can study for maths without it affecting your chemistry grade then definitely go for it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Basically if I need an A in chem I'll do both, if A* then not!

Good luck with your application
Reply 21
Original post by Dr. Django
Basically if I need an A in chem I'll do both, if A* then not!

Good luck with your application

Okay good plan! Good luck with yours too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

I've been working on my personal statement and I was just wondering, Is it okay to use parts of your own personal statement from last year or do you have to write a completely fresh one?
Reply 23
Original post by ScienceGUYY
Hi,

I've been working on my personal statement and I was just wondering, Is it okay to use parts of your own personal statement from last year or do you have to write a completely fresh one?

I used parts of my old one and it wasn't a problem. Seems like a lot of other re-applicants are doing the same thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How did you guys acknowledge and reflect on the need to resit in your PS - do you think Liverpool/ Lancaster would reject you just because there wasn't enough material regarding this ? Thanks :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by neverstop
How did you guys acknowledge and reflect on the need to resit in your PS - do you think Liverpool/ Lancaster would reject you just because there wasn't enough material regarding this ? Thanks :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Personal_Statement:Medicine_97
This is a link to a personal statement I found for a resit applicant who applied to both Liverpool and Lancaster. They only wrote about a few lines on it at the end and got offers from both.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Curlsss
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Personal_Statement:Medicine_97
This is a link to a personal statement I found for a resit applicant who applied to both Liverpool and Lancaster. They only wrote about a few lines on it at the end and got offers from both.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cheers thanks a lot .
Reply 27
Hey guys im stuck between Liverpool and Lancaster? Some people on tsr are saying its the same??? apparently if one gives you an offer, another doesn't. whats the difference between them, is the intake same for both?
Reply 28
Dayum that is brutal :/ 4 A's too ;(

Have you made any progress since you last posted? Quite a few places only need chem at AS I think

Im opting for Keele, but then im so confused as to whether I should apply to Liverpool or not then, because Liverpool require me to reflect in my personal statement as to why I am resitting but I already meet Keeles grades of AAA AND Keele don't allow resits, I am so confused
Is it true that if you apply to Lancaster or Liverpool you can only get one ??
Original post by sm786
Im opting for Keele, but then im so confused as to whether I should apply to Liverpool or not then, because Liverpool require me to reflect in my personal statement as to why I am resitting but I already meet Keeles grades of AAA AND Keele don't allow resits, I am so confused

I rang Keele about exactly this and they said it's fine and that if you meet their requirements they'll know you're not resitting! As they have relatively unique requirements (particularly with allowing A*AB) I imagine they are quite used to it.

At the Lancaster open day they never mentioned any association with Liverpool, I think they are now almost completely separate?

Original post by sm786
Hey guys im stuck between Liverpool and Lancaster? Some people on tsr are saying its the same??? apparently if one gives you an offer, another doesn't. whats the difference between them, is the intake same for both?

From what I've gathered (been to Lancaster but not Liverpool open day) they are now quite distinct. Their interview processes are different (liverpools is traditional lancaster a is mmi I think). Also, Liverpool state that higher /18 scores are beneficial whereas Lancaster said (I think) that once you meet the threshold then it doesn't matter
Original post by ScienceGUYY
Hi,

Yeah I've been told it's fine. Apparently the UCAS plagiarism thing will detect the similarities but then will automatically recognise (due to DOB, name etc) that it is your own work so will not flag anything up.

From an admissions standpoint, no one would expect us to have another raft of experiences etc in the few months since we found out we didn't get a place to write a ps! Mine is 60% same to last years
Original post by sm786

Have you looked at this (I presume you have), aren't there enough places you can apply to not worry about having to resit?http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements
Reply 33

No, they have separate medical schools now

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lancaster's intake is so small so PS must be really heavy. Do you think it's given more weight than Keele gives to it?
Lancaster's intake is so small so PS must be really heavy. Do you think it's given more weight than Keele gives to it?

Less people apply usually. I think unless you get auto interview at Keele for academics then they basically have same policy for interview selection
Less people apply usually. I think unless you get auto interview at Keele for academics then they basically have same policy for interview selection

ah okay. dude PM me, discuss Keele
Reply 37
Have you looked at this (I presume you have), aren't there enough places you can apply to not worry about having to resit?http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements

I got an extremely bad ukcat, worse than last year and most of the not chem unis want pretty decent ukcats and I got 637.5:'( thanks for your advice though, i may be thinking barts because I have a tariff of nearly 700 so it nearly outweighs my rubbish ukcat but I don't know if I'm gunna stand a chance with that or not.
Hi,

I have written about going abroad to volunteer in my personal statement. But I haven't mentioned where I am going to go. This is because I haven't completely decided which country to go to, but I know for sure I will volunteer somewhere abroad. I did write about independent living in an unfamiliar environment, etc (basically about how I wish to develop as a person by living abroad and the skills that I would improve). Would this be enough or do I have to be really specific?

Thanks a lot! :smile:

I'm applying to lancaster and I just wrote a few lines- but maybe a good idea is to get one of your teachers to mention it in their reference? That might help!

Original post by sm786
I got an extremely bad ukcat, worse than last year and most of the not chem unis want pretty decent ukcats and I got 637.5:'( thanks for your advice though, i may be thinking barts because I have a tariff of nearly 700 so it nearly outweighs my rubbish ukcat but I don't know if I'm gunna stand a chance with that or not.

Bearing in mind that this year's UKCAT average is a lot lower than last year- if you look on pearson vue's site then they tell you about the averages for each category overall, so yours might not be as bad as you think compared with everyone else.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending