The Student Room Group

Medicine Resit Applicants 2015 Entry

This is a thread for any resitters applying for medicine this year. Time for us to stop commiserating over our grades and to try and move on and make the best of our situation :smile:

Post any advice you have and your questions, and then hopefully we can all sneak into med school!

Good luck to you all, let's make this second chance count :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am so confused, I got 4A's and 1B, in Physics, Biology, Maths, General Studies and Chem respectively. My B in chem means i have to resit Chem, but i can still apply to unis where chem is not a neccesity, but i am so confused. Any ideas on where to apply, who will be more likely to accept me etc etc
Past results
GCSEs: 10A*'s 2A's
AS: 5A's (first time)
UKCAT last year 665
Yay!Resitters woo! I kinda wish there were more of us..
Reply 3
Original post by abbiemac
Yay!Resitters woo! I kinda wish there were more of us..

:tongue:

We seem to be a rare breed...

Where you thinking of applying to then?
Reply 4
Original post by sm786
I am so confused, I got 4A's and 1B, in Physics, Biology, Maths, General Studies and Chem respectively. My B in chem means i have to resit Chem, but i can still apply to unis where chem is not a neccesity, but i am so confused. Any ideas on where to apply, who will be more likely to accept me etc etc
Past results
GCSEs: 10A*'s 2A's
AS: 5A's (first time)
UKCAT last year 665

Dayum that is brutal :/ 4 A's too ;(

Have you made any progress since you last posted? Quite a few places only need chem at AS I think
Original post by Dr. Django
:tongue:

We seem to be a rare breed...

Where you thinking of applying to then?

Yeah, and everything else on the student room is just doom and gloom 'give up now' sort of stuff so we should have a positive motivational thread :3
ou
Lancaster, Exeter.. and that's all I can seem to think of at the moment :P maybe cardiff, but edinburgh pretty much told me no this morning. You?
Reply 6
Yeah, and everything else on the student room is just doom and gloom 'give up now' sort of stuff so we should have a positive motivational thread :3
ou
Lancaster, Exeter.. and that's all I can seem to think of at the moment :P maybe cardiff, but edinburgh pretty much told me no this morning. You?

Yeah people are indeed overly negative I think, try and find the resisters success stories thread, it'll give you a morale boost!

The ones that may consider you (depending on results) are UEA, Lancaster, Liverpool, Plymouth, Exeter, Brighton ( and some others I think, there's an article on tsr somewhere...just google medicine resit policies)

I'm probs applying to Keele (as they accept A*AB), Exeter, Manchester (they accepted my circumstances) and then either Lancaster or Liverpool.

Edinburgh are horrible about resit scad they were my firm last year. I got A*AB and was like 5ums off, with extenuated circumstances...and they said they probably wouldn't even hold a place if my B got remarked to an A xD lovely uni tho, and great med school.

Read the article for better clarification and check websites to see updated policies :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Yeah, I'm limited again though because I didn't do too great in A levels, despite my mitigating circumstances. I only got 3B's. Did you have mitigating circumstances, if you don't mind me asking? And if so what evidence did you provide? Yeah I'm thinking about liverpool too, it's just I've heard it's not a very nice place to live so I'm still in the fence about it :smile:
Reply 8
Yaay finally a thread for resit applicants! Just sent my application today. Have to get in this year!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Curlsss
Yaay finally a thread for resit applicants! Just sent my application today. Have to get in this year!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Welcome to the cru :tongue:

Nice one, I'll be sending mine off this week! Where did you apply?
Yeah, I'm limited again though because I didn't do too great in A levels, despite my mitigating circumstances. I only got 3B's. Did you have mitigating circumstances, if you don't mind me asking? And if so what evidence did you provide? Yeah I'm thinking about liverpool too, it's just I've heard it's not a very nice place to live so I'm still in the fence about it :smile:

Ah Dayum that's unfortunate, but there will still be enough places to apply (particularly if you have mitigating circumstances). I do, its a long term health thing (the fact it's long term excluded me from a lot of places even though I've now been successfully treated :tongue:) only one place (Manchester) I'm thinking of applying required evidence before application (Exeter don't need circumstances and I have keeles grades) and manchester accept either a gp letter or something from school, but I think ABB may be required (check). Most places require either or both.

Meh, it's a good uni, and good student city so I'd be happy with it! Tbh I'd be happy with anywhere
(edited 9 years ago)
i thought i was one of a few resit applicants but there are actually quite a few of us :biggrin:
Original post by adershsaravanaa
i thought i was one of a few resit applicants but there are actually quite a few of us :biggrin:

Resit Cru represent
Reply 13
Welcome to the cru :tongue:

Nice one, I'll be sending mine off this week! Where did you apply?

I applied to Liverpool, Lancaster, UEA and Keele (accept A*AB). The wait begins!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Curlsss
I applied to Liverpool, Lancaster, UEA and Keele (accept A*AB). The wait begins!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice I will be applying to at least 2 of those!

Keele (I too have A*AB), then one of Lancaster/Liverpool and then UEA if I don't get absolute confirmation from Manchester (they both want A* and I only want one place that needs that!)
Reply 15
Nice I will be applying to at least 2 of those!

Keele (I too have A*AB), then one of Lancaster/Liverpool and then UEA if I don't get absolute confirmation from Manchester (they both want A* and I only want one place that needs that!)

Yeah I was slightly surprised by the A* requirement from UEA. At first it put me off applying but I realised it would be a good option for me. What is your first choice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Curlsss
Yeah I was slightly surprised by the A* requirement from UEA. At first it put me off applying but I realised it would be a good option for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah it's quite frustrating :/ I'm very interested tho as I think I'd get an interview. + I don't think they'll specify A* in chem like Manchester do (and I don't think I can get that) but I maybe can in maths...tricky
Reply 17
Yeah it's quite frustrating :/ I'm very interested tho as I think I'd get an interview. + I don't think they'll specify A* in chem like Manchester do (and I don't think I can get that) but I maybe can in maths...tricky

Wow Manchester specify an A* in Chem? That is frustrating. I'm resitting maths too and that should be easier to get the A* in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Curlsss
Wow Manchester specify an A* in Chem? That is frustrating. I'm resitting maths too and that should be easier to get the A* in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They specify A* in the subject you retake, and I need chemistry not maths to fulfil the offer if that makes sense. I don't actually think I need to retake maths but I was so close to an A even though I got an E in c4 and a D in M1 that I think I might as well xD
Reply 19
They specify A* in the subject you retake, and I need chemistry not maths to fulfil the offer if that makes sense. I don't actually think I need to retake maths but I was so close to an A even though I got an E in c4 and a D in M1 that I think I might as well xD

Yeah if you can study for maths without it affecting your chemistry grade then definitely go for it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending