The Student Room Group

queries about Architecture

Hello People,

Im looking in to architecture to possibly study at uni and I have a few queries to ask you, hope you can help.

1) What are the job prospects for this degree?
2) What is better BA, BSc or BEng?
3) Do you have to be amazing at art and free hand drawing?
4) How much maths and physics does this degree involve?
5) Can I become a construction manager and does this degree offer studies relating to construction management?
6) How much work load will there be?
7) How many hours per week will we have to study for? (including self study)
8) What is the salary for an architect? (lowest, average and highest)?

thanks in advance for your input! :smile:

p.s please also view my other posts regarding this topic its slightly diffrent :biggrin:
Reply 1
Hi, I'm gonna start architecture this September and by no means, don't take into account what I'll say as a 'fact' but as an opinion based on what I've found out in the net but I hope it still helps! Also, I would only be able to answer a few of the questions since I'm not an architect... yet :wink:

A bit of background about myself: I did Art, Maths, Graphics, and Physics (AS). The grades I got were BCDd respectively but I got into my firm! :biggrin:

2.) As for which is better between BA and BSc depends on what the employer is looking for as they're pretty much the same appart from the fact that BA (Bachelor of Arts) Architecture course is more about the design and BSc (Bachelor of Science) in architecture may lean more towards the Maths/Physics of it. And as for BEng, it's a Bachelor of Engineering, which I doubt there is a BEng Architecture course.

3.) Being good at drawing is a plus but it doesn't mean that if you can't draw, you can't be architect. However, most universities will ask for a portfolio of work (drawings, prints, etc) for those who want to apply for architecture. If you have a weak portfolio, or you didn't do any Art related subject in A-level, you may have to do an art foundation course before getting into architecture.

4.) I would say it depends whether your course is BA or BSc, most competitive universities may involve more maths/physics. The course I've firmed is a BA in architecture course so they overlooked my grade in physics since art has been my stronger subject.

6.) I expect there to be a lot of work as you'll be marked based on coursework rather than written exams. As far as I know, the only written exam is for the part 3 of RIBA after you have 5 years in degree and 24 months placement.

8.) http://www.prospects.ac.uk/architect_salary.htm This site tells you how much you'll earn if you have finished part 1 and/or 2 whereas you can work as an assistant architect. How much money you earn will also depends on how good you are as an Architect, and whether you're working in a big firm, etc.

I hope that somewhat helped you, even a bit :redface:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Pros14
Hi, I'm gonna start architecture this September and by no means, don't take into account what I'll say as a 'fact' but as an opinion based on what I've found out in the net but I hope it still helps! Also, I would only be able to answer a few of the questions since I'm not an architect... yet :wink:

A bit of background about myself: I did Art, Maths, Graphics, and Physics (AS). The grades I got were BCDd respectively but I got into my firm! :biggrin:

2.) As for which is better between BA and BSc depends on what the employer is looking for as they're pretty much the same appart from the fact that BA (Bachelor of Arts) Architecture course is more about the design and BSc (Bachelor of Science) in architecture may lean more towards the Maths/Physics of it. And as for BEng, it's a Bachelor of Engineering, which I doubt there is a BEng Architecture course.

3.) Being good at drawing is a plus but it doesn't mean that if you can't draw, you can't be architect. However, most universities will ask for a portfolio of work (drawings, prints, etc) for those who want to apply for architecture. If you have a weak portfolio, or you didn't do any Art related subject in A-level, you may have to do an art foundation course before getting into architecture.

4.) I would say it depends whether your course is BA or BSc, most competitive universities may involve more maths/physics. The course I've firmed is a BA in architecture course so they overlooked my grade in physics since art has been my stronger subject.

6.) I expect there to be a lot of work as you'll be marked based on coursework rather than written exams. As far as I know, the only written exam is for the part 3 of RIBA after you have 5 years in degree and 24 months placement.

8.) http://www.prospects.ac.uk/architect_salary.htm This site tells you how much you'll earn if you have finished part 1 and/or 2 whereas you can work as an assistant architect. How much money you earn will also depends on how good you are as an Architect, and whether you're working in a big firm, etc.

I hope that somewhat helped you, even a bit :redface:

hey thanks so much for your time and help appreciate it a lot!! :biggrin:
One final question popped in mind lol would you be able to answer this..
If I do a degree in BEng can I for Masters do a MSc course?(thinking about construction management if I chose architecture) or vice vera??

Reply 3
Original post by imdumbuneedhelp
hey thanks so much for your time and help appreciate it a lot!! :biggrin:
One final question popped in mind lol would you be able to answer this..
If I do a degree in BEng can I for Masters do a MSc course?(thinking about construction management if I chose architecture) or vice vera??

If you do a BEng degree, this means you're going to do an engineering related course and not architecture? This site also tells you other jobs you can possibly get into with an architecture degree: http://www.prospects.ac.uk/options_architecture.htm

Construction management isn't directly linked to architecture so it might be better to do a BSc in Construction Management to progress into MSc. A BEng degree could also help in getting into Construction management but I don't recommend it as this course are most likely taken to progress to Chartered Engineer (CEng).
Original post by Pros14
If you do a BEng degree, this means you're going to do an engineering related course and not architecture? This site also tells you other jobs you can possibly get into with an architecture degree: http://www.prospects.ac.uk/options_architecture.htm

Construction management isn't directly linked to architecture so it might be better to do a BSc in Construction Management to progress into MSc. A BEng degree could also help in getting into Construction management but I don't recommend it as this course are most likely taken to progress to Chartered Engineer (CEng).

hmm..i dunno i looked at architectural engineering/technology where some were a BEng and Bsc so im quite interested in that i want to be able in the future to design plan develop and build my 'dream home' :biggrin: so im trying to aim to do something like architecture to start of with then for masters do a construction management or civil engineering course so i will be equipped with the managerial and problem solving skills that are taught in these courses. :biggrin:

also check this link out from Birmingham uni, scroll right down to further study bit...
http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/civil-engineering/civil-engineering-business-beng.aspx#EmployabilityTab

basically it suggests we can do any course as a master following our undergraduate degree such as BEng. i know this is a civil engineering course but would this be the same if i done architecture then for further study done construction management or something? :smile:
thanks again.
Reply 5
hmm..i dunno i looked at architectural engineering/technology where some were a BEng and Bsc so im quite interested in that i want to be able in the future to design plan develop and build my 'dream home' :biggrin: so im trying to aim to do something like architecture to start of with then for masters do a construction management or civil engineering course so i will be equipped with the managerial and problem solving skills that are taught in these courses. :biggrin:

also check this link out from Birmingham uni, scroll right down to further study bit...
http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/civil-engineering/civil-engineering-business-beng.aspx#EmployabilityTab

basically it suggests we can do any course as a master following our undergraduate degree such as BEng. i know this is a civil engineering course but would this be the same if i done architecture then for further study done construction management or something? :smile:
thanks again.

Hi there, you can definitely do any course with a joint course in Construction management, such as the one you mentioned above, and still to a Masters in Construction Management. It doesn't necessarily have to be a BEng degree. However some specific joint course combinations may be limited to certain universities so it's worth having a look and see what catches your attention. Sorry, this may not be very helpful :s-smilie:
Original post by Pros14
Hi there, you can definitely do any course with a joint course in Construction management, such as the one you mentioned above, and still to a Masters in Construction Management. It doesn't necessarily have to be a BEng degree. However some specific joint course combinations may be limited to certain universities so it's worth having a look and see what catches your attention. Sorry, this may not be very helpful :s-smilie:

ah that alright but thanks anyway, one join course i looked at was civil and architectural engineering so if i decide to do this course do you reckon i can get into a masters construction management course?
Reply 7
I wouldn't know, couldn't it be an architectural engineering with construction management? But so far, I've no luck at all
Original post by Pros14
I wouldn't know, couldn't it be an architectural engineering with construction management? But so far, I've no luck at all

couldn't find a course like that unfortunately
Hello People,

Im looking in to architecture to possibly study at uni and I have a few queries to ask you, hope you can help.

1) What are the job prospects for this degree?
2) What is better BA, BSc or BEng?
3) Do you have to be amazing at art and free hand drawing?
4) How much maths and physics does this degree involve?
5) Can I become a construction manager and does this degree offer studies relating to construction management?
6) How much work load will there be?
7) How many hours per week will we have to study for? (including self study)
8) What is the salary for an architect? (lowest, average and highest)?

thanks in advance for your input! :smile:

p.s please also view my other posts regarding this topic its slightly diffrent :biggrin:

Architecture (K100) is a really good general arts degree. Some have more of an engineering bias, but any leading to an exemption from the RIBA/ARB part 1 will be 50% design. Because of the broad syllabus, an undergraduate degree in architecture can lead onto a load of other fields and, for those who do go onto to part II and part III and register as an Architect, finding people in planning, engineering etc. who also have an architectural understanding is a rare treat. However, if you know already what you want to do - Construction Management - why study something else for 3 years first?

Architectural Engineering syllabi will vary from one institute to another, but usually means Mechanical and Electrical Engineering sometimes with Structural Engineering.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending