The Student Room Group

would an ovedose affect my nursing place

Hi 5 months ago i took an overdose of paracetamol. I had taken allot i was put into hospital for a couple of days. Iwas sectioned under the mental health act. I did have depression for a short period of time. I have got an offer to do nursing. Recently i recieved a letter saying that i have to have a pre course health screening assesment. I am feeling menatlly well. Im very worried is this going to affect my unii place. I regret the overdose. Can i still study nursing? Im really worried. Please help me out.
Original post by brummystar
Hi 5 months ago i took an overdose of paracetamol. I had taken allot i was put into hospital for a couple of days. Iwas sectioned under the mental health act. I did have depression for a short period of time. I have got an offer to do nursing. Recently i recieved a letter saying that i have to have a pre course health screening assesment. I am feeling menatlly well. Im very worried is this going to affect my unii place. I regret the overdose. Can i still study nursing? Im really worried. Please help me out.

I'm currently on a nursing course so might be able to help. The pre-course health screen assessment asks about all aspects of your health so be completely honest. I have friends with MH issues who had an additional assessment done to check their suitability for the course and have extra support at uni as a result. In regards to the overdose, you would need to ask whether that will affect your place as it play a part in whether occupational health clear you to take up your place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
placeOhh ok thank you ever so much. I honestly regret the overdose i took. I am mentally and physically well. Im really scared for this assessment. The doctor will be making the decssion wheather i can study nursing. I no longer have any mental health problems. I had taken 100+paracetamol. I honeslty cant remember that day. It just happened so quickk
You should be fine! The thing that matters is that you are currently fit enough to study the course! I was in a very similar situation last year and I passed my occupational health assessment as I was "recovered" as such! I don't see it being a problem!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
;-)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Lizzie0202
You should be fine! The thing that matters is that you are currently fit enough to study the course! I was in a very similar situation last year and I passed my occupational health assessment as I was "recovered" as such! I don't see it being a problem!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank youu
Reply 6
Original post by brummystar
QUOTE=Sophi12;49632461 ]I'm currently on a nursing course so might be able to help. The pre-course health screen assessment asks about all aspects of your health so be completely honest. I have friends with MH issues who had an additional assessment done to check their suitability for the course and have extra support at uni as a result. In regards to the overdose, you would need to ask whether that will affect your place as it play a part in whether occupational health clear you to take up your place.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank youI honestly regret the overdose i took. I am mentally and physically well. Im really scared for this assessment. The doctor will be making the decssion wheather i can study nursing. I no longer have any mental health problems. I had taken 100+paracetamol. I honeslty cant remember that day. It just happened so quick
The only time you will ever have problems with OH is if you decide not to fully disclose. As long as you tell them that you are having ongoing treatment and support from your GP it shouldn't be an issue. The only time OH get concerned is if you have mental health issues going untreated and aren't getting professional support.

Quick Reply

Latest