The Student Room Group

Learner Insurance Question

I failed my test yesterday on a stupid mistake, and as I'm moving away this weekend to start teacher training next week (moving from Edinburgh to Coventry) then I'll probably have to wait until October half term to be able to retake my test, unless I can pick up a Saturday cancellation.

I'm looking into getting my car now so I can get some practice in down south and avoid having a long gap where I'm not driving at all. My husband hasn't had his licence for long enough to supervise me, but there are several family members in the area I can probably bribe into helping me out. I'm not certain how learner driver insurance works though - if I take out a month's specific learner policy for me on the car (I'm looking at Marmalade), is that ok if I'm the only person who will drive it, or does it also need to have a standard insurance policy in someone else's name? I'm over 25 if that makes any difference, although I can't see why it would in this case.

Thanks!
Reply 1
Posting this here in case anyone else is interested ...

I made a couple of phone calls today. Marmalade will only insure learners on someone else's car, so the car has to have separate insurance. Collingwood will insure learners on their own car if the learner is the only person who will be driving it, so that's perfect for me. :-)
Reply 2
I am using Collingwood as well for a month insurance on my boyfriend car it was about 90 pounds for that time, cheap i think because my boyfriend wanted to put me on his insurance policy but they said its gonna cost around 230 extra per month which is a lot :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
If you get in touch with Collingwood you can quote a reference 173159 and this will give you a discount on your insurance

worth a try

gary
Reply 4
Collingwood is great! I went through moneysupermarket and got a quote for around £35 per month.
Reply 5
You dont need to takeout specific learner insurance. Im learning, and have my own fully comp insurance for my car, as a provisional licence holder.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending