The Student Room Group
Bangor University
Bangor University
Visit website

Halls - Garth?

Hi im just wondering if there is anyone here who has spent time in Garth before or knows much about it, just as i am a little worried it will be very much empty! i have only just realized that its basically the opposite side as alllllllll the other halls of residence, making me feel like it wont be as good because its so far away from the majority, does anyone know how long it takes to walks from Garth to the other hallls? As far as i know there are not many people staying in Garth, starting to feel like i made a mistake in my choices,

+ if i ever were to, are people able to switch halls before we start?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Lozzehbean
Wait, are you already a member of the Facebook group for Garth? Cos if you are then that means you're one of the people I know of who lives there... awkward, haha :P

yes hahah im the other person in the group >< i hope its fun there, its so far away from everyone else i hadnt realized :/
Bangor University
Bangor University
Visit website
Reply 2
Goddammit :') Well honestly Bangor is that small that everything is pretty much a maximum of a 15 minute walk from everything else. Garth to Ffridd site would be less than 10 mins at a normal pace. And if you have your lectures in Main Arts then you have a 1 minute walk to lectures :smile: If it makes you feel any better, I logged into the accommodation site the other night and saw that Garth is apparently full, so hopefully we'll meet more people soon!

the fact they're full is quite re-assuring, i hope its not too far away from their site, do you know if we have a bar or SU type of building closer to us?
Reply 3
We don't have an on-site bar but we are very close to loads of pubs. Literally down the road from about 5 of them :smile: Also there's loads of takeaways. Also hopefully Pontio will be finished by September which will house the Student Union offices and a bar, restaurant and coffee place :smile: Pretty much everything you need is in Upper Bangor! Even the places in Lower Bangor are a very short walk away, you just have to face Bitch Hill on the way back, but even then, Pontio should provide a less bitchy way to get home :smile:

Garth does have a couple of common rooms with sofas and one of them has a big tv which I've heard is excellent for predrinks and parties :smile: I'm actually really excited to move in!

Yeah the common rooms are amazing, garth was the only accommodation i got to look at and i was like so surprised, its like 5 times better than the uni halls i was at this year just gone, its easily the nicest inside, just a tad shame about the location.... still there is 140 rooms which is a fair amount of people :tongue:

considering how the Pontio is looking, its still under construction, looks like it still needs a fair amount of work to it, im unsure to whether itll be open in 4 weeks or so :/ i would guess early next year it would open, but they have said it should be done by freshers.
Reply 4
Oh you've actually seen inside it? I've seen the video on the uni page and a couple of photos on my friend's FB page but I couldn't make out much. When did you see Pontio? They've already sold tickets for events in November so I should hope it's finished soon ir that'll be awkward :P

Wait are you not going into first year then? Where were you this year?

yes its lovely inside, so clean its like a hotel ... hallsways really nice, ict room etc all so clean and ****, it has a middle center outside part with few table and chairs which looks nice to have a bbq. i just typed in #bangor on instagram and theres a pretty recent picture and you can see a lot of scaffolding cranes etc :frown:

Technically im a first year yes, i didnt a foundation year at a different university and was supposed to start the degree at that uni but i did well so decided to apply for other university and hey ho here i am, so i get the beauty of experiencing two fresher weeks haha
Reply 5
Oh wow, I had no idea it had an outside bit! That sounds excellent :biggrin: What floors did you see?

And cool, lucky you :P What course are you doing? I'm gonna be a third year so this will be my last freshers' week :'( That doesn't mean I'm gonna be a boring workaholic though haha :P

i saw the ground floor but im gueessing all the other floors will be the same :tongue: im on the top floor just because i love being the highest floor haha idk why. i thought garth was for first years only atleast thats what the guide told me, i guess not :tongue: i would hope you were a workaholic! ill be buckling down in my third year xD
Hey, I've just been given my accommodation, I'm in Garth!
On the website it says that Garth is for postgraduate students but available to undergraduates. Do you think the majority of people will be undergrads?
Yay! I'm so excited! Urm I'm in room 018, what about you? Awh haha I was getting worried that if picked the wrong accomdation by mistake haha, Phewww! I didn't realise how far out garth was lol! X
I'm 428 haha :smile: Yeah I'm starting to worry cos I've only spoken 3 other Garth people (including you) and it has 140 rooms so I'm a bit worried I'll be on a floor all by myself or with people who don't wanna speak to me :') Haha have you actually visited Bangor on an open day or anything? And was Garth one of your choices or did they just put you there? x

I'm so glad I've met someone in the same halls :smile:! Shame your not on the same floor though! Garth was my third choice, but I had a look at the video and it looked quite nice actually. And no I never been to bangor before have you visited? How far away do you live from bangor? It's about 300 miles from me :O haha xx
Yeah it's so worrying cos all the other halls are full of people now and Garth is just sitting there awkwardly :') I'm a third year actually, so I am pretty familiar with Bangor :P So I can tell you that Garth isn't as far from everything as it seems :biggrin: I live about an hour and a half drive from Bangor so not too bad. And wow, that's quite a hike :O What made you pick Bangor then? :smile: Also d'you have Facebook? x

Haha, this is quite worrying. I did only get my accomdation yesterday though, so hopefully that means they've just started to give out accomodation to people in garth! Hopefully anyway! Awh that's cool, so will this be your last year at bangor? What are you studying? Bangor just seemed so pretty I guess, and I love wales :-) I have twitter, it's charleyhawkes22 :-) xx
Ah true, someone suggested they're probably doing certain halls in certain orders so maybe that's it! I just met another Garthian on Facebook :biggrin: And yes, it will be my last year :'( Determined to make it amazing as my first two years were a bit rubbish haha. And awesome, I've followed you on Twitter! (I'm Lozzyh22 if you didn't guess :P) I study linguistics btw :smile: wbu? x

Wooo! Another garthian! Hopefully soon there will be loads of us :-) don't worry, it will be an amazing year!! Thank you for the follow, oh wow! That's awesome, and I'm doing accounting and finance and if I'm right that means garth is right next to the business department?xx
I have been accepted into Garth, at room 004. Is it noisy? I can't stand noise.
Reply 12
Original post by treejoe4
I have been accepted into Garth, at room 004. Is it noisy? I can't stand noise.

being on the ground floor probably wont help but the halls itself is well away from the rest of the halls so atleast it will be not be as noisy as if you were over there, depends on your flatemates
I'm at GA011 so on the bottom floor, though I don't mind noise I'm not a huge party goer :tongue:
Reply 14
Original post by F_shakeey
I'm at GA011 so on the bottom floor, though I don't mind noise I'm not a huge party goer :tongue:

i asked to be put on the top floor not because of any noise issues just because i love living on the top floor xD i am sure you'lll be fine when it comes to noise, people at the uni i was at this year were respectful with making too much noise, however freshers week i'm pretty confident might be a little annoying ^^
Original post by Meerisgod
i asked to be put on the top floor not because of any noise issues just because i love living on the top floor xD i am sure you'lll be fine when it comes to noise, people at the uni i was at this year were respectful with making too much noise, however freshers week i'm pretty confident might be a little annoying ^^

Well I'm sure it must've been a pain bringing all your stuff up and down :tongue:
Ah that's good, freshers will always be noisy no matter where you are I guess, as someone who doesn't drink I hope it doesn't create a barrier between me and others especially my flatmates.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't drink either, I hope it is not full of people eager to drink a lot,
Original post by treejoe4
I don't drink either, I hope it is not full of people eager to drink a lot,

I'm sure they aren't, you'll always meet some people who don't or in moderation. Societies also help meet others you get on with :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by F_shakeey
Well I'm sure it must've been a pain bringing all your stuff up and down :tongue:
Ah that's good, freshers will always be noisy no matter where you are I guess, as someone who doesn't drink I hope it doesn't create a barrier between me and others especially my flatmates.

Posted from TSR Mobile
fortunately Garth has 2 lifts :biggrin: drunken lift party incoming
Original post by Meerisgod
fortunately Garth has 2 lifts :biggrin: drunken lift party incoming

:rofl: They sound fun :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest