The Student Room Group

Sleep is for the weak IV (SIFTW4)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8900
Original post by perspiracious
We are only beginning to uncover the extent of animal sentience. :tongue:

Exactly:tongue: we could be the dumbest animals on earth:mmm: why people find that so hard to accept.
Original post by Aph
There are a 'power 5' of intelligent animals

Great apes

corvids

dolphins/wales

octopi

elephants

Elephants even show signs of having religion and all of these animals are 'self aware' and can express empathy and advanced problem solving abilities.

Do you know why I kept at the notion of language use makes us superior? The modern world could not exist without it. As one individual discovered something, there'd be no way for later generations to know it, except maybe the few people in contact with you. With language, humans can teach younger ones, humans can read designs and follow instructions to build without knowing why something is done a certain way because of language. The ability to use language, both written and verbal is what makes us superior.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aph
Exactly:tongue: we could be the dumbest animals on earth:mmm: why people find that so hard to accept.

That's a step too far. :wink:
Original post by Aph

I know why you can accept it though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8904
Original post by Arieisit
Do you know why I kept at the notion of language use makes us superior? The modern world could not exist without it. As one individual discovered something, there'd be no way for later generations to know it, except maybe the few people in contact with you. With language, humans can teach younger ones, humans can read designs and follow instructions to build without knowing why something is done a certain way because of language. The ability to use language, both written and verbal is what makes us superior.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But the point is you can't prove that language doesn't exist in other species other then a definition which precludes it. Although using the criteria for language that means sign isn't a language...
That's a step too far. :wink:

You never know:tongue:
Original post by Aph
But the point is you can't prove that language doesn't exist in other species other then a definition which precludes it. Although using the criteria for language that means sign isn't a language...

I have no idea why you are debating the definition of a word. Linguists came up with the definition, as in people with phD's who have studied these sort of things extensively. Who are you to dispute them just because you don't "like" it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
And besides, if they were as half as intelligent as us, tell me, what are their accomplishments? Complex feeding circles? Basic. Complex emotions? Basic. Solving problems for food? Basic. No, tell me, what have they done!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aph

That could be applied to anything (*cough, cough*: God).

Anyways, I shall leave you with this: “These creatures you call mice, you see, they are not quite as they appear. They are merely the protrusion into our dimension of vastly hyperintelligent pandimensional beings.”.
Reply 8908
I have no idea why you are debating the definition of a word. Linguists came up with the definition, as in people with phD's who have studied these sort of things extensively. Who are you to dispute them just because you don't "like" it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If that's the definition they want to use let them, but it just means we can't use it as a measure of intelligence. Also if an alien race came here, they would clearly be intelligent but would then be claimed to not be so as they didn't have 'language'
Reply 8909
And besides, if they were as half as intelligent as us, tell me, what are their accomplishments? Complex feeding circles? Basic. Complex emotions? Basic. Solving problems for food? Basic. No, tell me, what have they done!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nothing I'll satisfy you so I'm going to stop waist king my time.
Original post by Aph
Nothing I'll satisfy you so I'm going to stop waist king my time.

Damn you, auto correct!
Damn you, auto correct!

Its not autocorrect. He just has the spelling of a 5 year old.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aph
If that's the definition they want to use let them, but it just means we can't use it as a measure of intelligence. Also if an alien race came here, they would clearly be intelligent but would then be claimed to not be so as they didn't have 'language'

I can assure you an alien race capable of reaching here by space travel would definitely have a language or very complex communication than can be constituted as a language.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by reallydontknow
Its not autocorrect. He just has the spelling of a 5 year old.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey you :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8914
I can assure you an alien race capable of reaching here by space travel would definitely have a language or very complex communication than can be constituted as a language.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But it can't be, because they aren't human and all those linguists who are all so smart know best:yep:
Original post by Aph
But it can't be, because they aren't human and all those linguists who are all so smart know best:yep:

Well, for that matter, as it is right now, aliens don't exist. There may be a high probability of them existing, but you can't base a definition of a word based on the probability of a species existence .

And I see you've gladly ignored my last statement. It's ok though, you are in no shape form or fashion capable of debating with me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8918
Well, for that matter, as it is right now, aliens don't exist. There may be a high probability of them existing, but you can't base a definition of a word based on the probability of a species existence .

And I see you've gladly ignored my last statement. It's ok though, you are in no shape form or fashion capable of debating with me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But if aliens came here then the definition would have to be changed, so I don't see why it can't be changed now. Because otherwise you assert that we are the smartest beings in the universe.

i cannot see anything I ignored.

Wassup?

Actually I'll whatsapp you :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest