The Student Room Group

I am a South African girl, ask me anything.

Hi :smile: My name is Shelby and I am from South Africa. I have been in England for 7 months. I am starting at Brunel next month.

Ask me anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
what are you studying
what part of south africa are you from
native or afrikaans
Reply 2
Original post by Mick.w
what are you studying
what part of south africa are you from
native or afrikaans

Studying Psychology.
Born in Benoni, grew up in Port Elizabeth.
My first language is English but I am fluent in Afrikaans.

Posted from TSR Mobile
When was the last time you had a braai? Did you have boerewors?
Do you like rugby?
What's your take on the Oscar Pistorius case?
I'm guessing you're white with a name like Shelby. What are your parents' take on racism in South Africa? Did they want Mandela freed?
What makes you go 'Sies man'
I have two friends from South Africa. Do you know them?
Good luck at Brunel, I graduated this year :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Mindless Behavior
When was the last time you had a braai? Did you have boerewors?
Do you like rugby?
What's your take on the Oscar Pistorius case?
I'm guessing you're white with a name like Shelby. What are your parents' take on racism in South Africa? Did they want Mandela freed?
What makes you go 'Sies man'
I have two friends from South Africa. Do you know them?

The last time I had a proper braai with boerewors was just before I left South Africa. So December last year.
I like to watch rugby but I am not obsessed.
Innocent until proven guilty.
Yes, they wanted him freed. They wanted a better future for SA. Unfortunately racism isn't exactly gone in SA. And it's not the whites who are the racist ones all the time.
I don't really. Haha. It's a bit common.
Not unless they loved in Port Elizabeth and maybe went to the same school as me. Remember, SA is huge. It is much bigger then the UK. So its like me asking you if you know my next door neighbour.

Thanks for your questions :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by brownbearxo
Good luck at Brunel, I graduated this year :smile:

Thanks :smile: what course did you do? Did you enjoy Brunel?
Reply 7
What language do you think in?
Reply 8
Do you live in a huge house with electric fencing around. I'm in bothas hill at the moment near Durban and all the white people have big houses it seems.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by godd
What language do you think in?

Mostly English :smile:
But when I speak Afrikaans, I think in Afrikaans.
And when I am back in SA or speaking to my SA friends, I speak in a mixture of English and Afrikaans
Reply 10
Original post by alexh42
Do you live in a huge house with electric fencing around. I'm in bothas hill at the moment near Durban and all the white people have big houses it seems.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My house it pretty big and I have a huge garden with a swimming pool... but no electric fence.
I don't think race has anything to do with the size of your house. It's the job you have and how hard you work. And most of the houses in SA are big.
Reply 11
Original post by bokkie96
Mostly English :smile:
But when I speak Afrikaans, I think in Afrikaans.
And when I am back in SA or speaking to my SA friends, I speak in a mixture of English and Afrikaans

When you are thinking on your own, what language do you think in?
Reply 12
Original post by godd
When you are thinking on your own, what language do you think in?

Mostly English. But there are some Afrikaans words and slang words that there are not English translation for.
Thanks :smile: what course did you do? Did you enjoy Brunel?

It wasn't the best for me but I know a lot of people that loved it so I'm sure you'll be fine. I did Law.
Reply 14
What's your favourite city in SA and why is it so?

I'm a big fan of the SA cricket team
Do you speak American?
Reply 16
Original post by Kibb
What's your favourite city in SA and why is it so?

I'm a big fan of the SA cricket team

That's such a difficult question... Port Elizabeth is great because it is home...
I can't chose just one (I know it's cheating) but all the cities and towns along the Garden Route are the best. To name a few: Cape Town, George, Knysna, Plettenburg Bay, Jeffrey's Bay and Port Elizabeth.
Reply 17
Original post by FrostyLemon
Do you speak American?

American? You mean do I speak with an American accent or...?
American isn't a language. Americans speak English with an American accent...
American? You mean do I speak with an American accent or...?
American isn't a language. Americans speak English with an American accent...

When I read this topic I thought of the movie 'Mean Girls', where a south african girl moves to the states. I was pretty sure one of the characters ask the girl if she 'speaks american', but apparently that's in another movie, so I thought I had used a clever reference, but created an abomination. For this, I bring shame to myself and my loved ones.
Reply 19
Original post by FrostyLemon
When I read this topic I thought of the movie 'Mean Girls', where a south african girl moves to the states. I was pretty sure one of the characters ask the girl if she 'speaks american', but apparently that's in another movie, so I thought I had used a clever reference, but created an abomination. For this, I bring shame to myself and my loved ones.

Ooohhhh. Hahaha. No worries. I forgive you and lift the shame from you and your loved ones.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest