The Student Room Group

Which areas and time periods are your favourites?

As anyone who either studies history, or just has a passion to learn about it as a hobby (I fall into the latter :biggrin:), which specific areas and which specific time periods are your favourites or ones you have most interest in? However specific you wish to go is up to you!

For me, I have a keen interest in military history in general, but for world history I tend to find anything post and including the French Revolution up to the culmination of WW2 the most fascinating. 1789-1945 therefore.

Scroll to see replies

Anything seems better than now.

We are literally living in the worst time ever in British history
I love WW1 and WW2 and it sounds really bad but I also love the early 21st Century from the terrorist attacks to the US war on terror and British involvement in Afghanistan. I also love the golden age of sail cause of pirates and shiz.
Tudors, Plantagenets etc and the cold war are probably my favourites but I love it all
All of the 1900's were a pretty interesting century, early 1800's with Napoleon, late 1700's with the American and other revolutions. The Roman empire was also a good spell in history. For Irish history it has to be 1912-22, full of action :L
Reply 5
I like the 20th century, especially the world wars and the period in between. I quite like the Victorians, and Tudors as well. I love local history, knowing how places have changed over time and about the people who lived there. Really I find all bits of history interesting.
For me it's the Plantagenets (you can probably tell from the username) and just generally 10th to late 16th century Europe
1930s-1960s UK and America
Cold war
Pretty much all russian history too from Tsars to soviets
British military history in 17th and 18th centuries
Ww2
I've been catching up on some TV today and I watched the BBC4 history of the Stuarts and am now into Lucy Worsall's history of the Hanovers. Those seem like really interesting periods. I would love to be a fly on the wall in parts of Stuart/Civil War history, I would like to do scientific work for the new Royal Society under the enlightened liberal rule of Charles II (until he ditched Parliament, anyway) and some of what went on under the Hanovers sounds like fun. It would be amazing to meet Jane Austen and urge her to write more books before time ran out.
I love reading up about the period around the Black Death. I also like reading about medieval Scotland.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The period covering the French Revolution and Napoleonic Wars is probably my favourite historical period - so, 1789 to 1815. Mainly focusing, of course, on British and French history during that period.

I also quite like the Elizabethan period and I've recently developed more of an interest in the history of North East England, including stuff like the story of the Lindisfarne Gospels.
Post 1945 right up to the present day. Particularly the 1970s onwards.
1920s-1930's America - the golden age of physics/science, wonderful music, great culture.
Roman times before they became a world empire and the rulers all murdered each other.
Ancient Greece
Late 18th century America.
Pre-christian scandanavia
Pre-european influenced North and South America
Classical chinese civilization
Original post by MrDystopia
As anyone who either studies history, or just has a passion to learn about it as a hobby (I fall into the latter :biggrin:), which specific areas and which specific time periods are your favourites or ones you have most interest in? However specific you wish to go is up to you!

For me, I have a keen interest in military history in general, but for world history I tend to find anything post and including the French Revolution up to the culmination of WW2 the most fascinating. 1789-1945 therefore.

I would be interested in most time periods anything from 1100-1900. I would particularly be interested in the medieval and renaissance periods as well as England under Henry VIII and Elizabeth I.

I would also be interested in ancient China and Japan from about 600-1600.
(edited 9 years ago)
classical civilisations especially Romans and Greeks also the middle ages and crusades are kind of intresting
Reply 16
Greeks, romans, Egyptians ect.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrDystopia

My period of interest is China 1840-1911. I have quite narrow interests for a 17 Y.O :P.
When studying GCSE History, America during the Great Depression stood out quite a bit as an interesting time frame. How it came about, what it was like during and how America recovered. Another time period could be China's fairly recent uprising as an Economic powerhouse, it's fascinating stuff.
Reply 19
Naval/maritime/mythological

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending