The Student Room Group

KCL didn't reject me until 21st of August, when all clearing spaces are taken already

So yeah...I missed their offer by 2 grades and they didn't make their decision until today (21st of August). Now there are no good clearing spots left that match my grades. What should I do about it? If it wasn't for KCL, I could have secured Warwick's clearing space, but obviously I can't now...
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by benq
So yeah...I missed their offer by 2 grades and they didn't make their decision until today (21st of August). Now there are no good clearing spots left that match my grades. What should I do about it? If it wasn't for KCL, I could have secured Warwick's clearing space, but obviously I can't now...

Terrible!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does your avatar reflect your current mood ?

Sorry for you OP they're absolute bastards.
Re apply next year? Sadly i don't think there is much you can do :/ i think you can appeal against their decision but I'm not sure if thats just when you apply
Sadly you're most likely gonna have to take a gap year. But I always believe things happen for a reason so it will be okay in the long run :hugs:

May I ask what subject this was?
Reply 5
Original post by Slowbro93
Sadly you're most likely gonna have to take a gap year. But I always believe things happen for a reason so it will be okay in the long run :hugs:

May I ask what subject this was?

Philosophy.

Regarding the gap year: So it is fair that I, to some extent, waste a year, while I wouldn't have to if it wasn't for their lack of speed?
Original post by benq
Philosophy.

Regarding the gap year: So it is fair that I, to some extent, waste a year, while I wouldn't have to if it wasn't for their lack of speed?

It seems bad now, but you can now consider things that you wouldn't have done here :yep:

origami bullets
x

You may be a better person to talk here :h:
Send emails, make phone calls, complain. This is not fair.
Original post by benq

According to ucas - Warwick still have spaces - also places in Birmingham, Leeds Manchester, Sheffiled, Southampton, Keele Cardiff etc - loads of options
Reply 9
Original post by squeakysquirrel
According to ucas - Warwick still have spaces - also places in Birmingham, Leeds Manchester, Sheffiled, Southampton, Keele Cardiff etc - loads of options

That's according to UCAS, but according to official websites, it is not the case. Definitely not with Warwick, and frankly, Warwick was the only place I wanted (and had an opportunity) to go to.
Reply 10
The same thing happened to me when I finished my A levels, just a different university. I took the year out, boosted my grades and went to a better uni instead of settling for a clearing option that didn't get picked up.
Hi Ben,

We don’t offer Philosophy so we’re probably not what you’re looking for, but I’d like to encourage you not to give up hope yet. Today is GCSE results day and many admissions departments are withholding offers based on GCSE retakes so there will be a bit of movement, including at high quality institutions. The one benefit of being so late in the process is that that the early busy period has passed - so you shouldn’t have any problems getting through to the right person on the phones. I’d recommend you hit the phones and call around, even if courses are listed as closed sometimes there is a bit of movement for good quality candidates. If you got ABB (I see KCL are advertising 3As) you are in a particularly strong position. We are still taking ABB students, if you have a different course in mind.

Good luck!
Original post by Slowbro93
It seems bad now, but you can now consider things that you wouldn't have done here :yep:

You may be a better person to talk here :h:

I've found the relevant post in the OB Archives to save her replying again. :tongue: Here.

Original post by Origami Bullets
I'm one of the people Blackacre has referred to!

My results didn't go to plan, and I ended up on an enforced gap year. I can't say that I was remotely happy about it at the time. Actually, I was pretty upset.

However, I got a job, earned some money and went off on a 6 month working holiday in Australia. I had a fantastic time, and actually in the end I was really glad it happened. It even improved my career prospects quite substantially - not only did the work experience I gained allow me to get other, better jobs (and it's taken me down a path that led to my graduate career in an entirely different sector), but I've found that employers really value the experience of living and working abroad - I've seen it listed as an essential / desirable characteristic on more than a few job adverts.

A gap year really isn't the end of the world - and in fact, it can be a really good thing so long as you use your time wisely.
Reply 13
Original post by Aston University
Hi Ben,

We don’t offer Philosophy so we’re probably not what you’re looking for, but I’d like to encourage you not to give up hope yet. Today is GCSE results day and many admissions departments are withholding offers based on GCSE retakes so there will be a bit of movement, including at high quality institutions. The one benefit of being so late in the process is that that the early busy period has passed - so you shouldn’t have any problems getting through to the right person on the phones. I’d recommend you hit the phones and call around, even if courses are listed as closed sometimes there is a bit of movement for good quality candidates. If you got ABB (I see KCL are advertising 3As) you are in a particularly strong position. We are still taking ABB students, if you have a different course in mind.

Good luck!

Thank you.
Reply 14
Original post by Blackacre
I've found the relevant post in the OB Archives to save her replying again. :tongue: Here.

Cheers. However, one person's good gap year experience doesn't mean that it will be similarly good for everybody else. Moreover, there are different types of careers, and for some, a gap year is a disadvantage.
Original post by benq
That's according to UCAS, but according to official websites, it is not the case. Definitely not with Warwick, and frankly, Warwick was the only place I wanted (and had an opportunity) to go to.
Why not call them and explain what has happened. They may be sympathetic to your plight.

Definitely make a complaint to KCL admissions and advise them of the potential damage they have caused. They have prejudiced the fairness of your application process and own you a written explanation at the very least.

I don't know how far you will get with this but it's worth a try. You could even ask KCL to call/write to Warwick and explain what has happened.

As others have stated, don't pin all your hopes on getting in this year - that would be a very welcome bonus if it happens though.

Think about work and gaining some very useful work experience over the next year. Do this wisely and you can use it to your advantage when you graduate and start looking for work - employers will be impressed by the way you handle this situation if you use it to your best advantage and sell your resourcefulness to them.

Turn the negativity into positive energy to drive you forwards.

Above all, stay positive and don't vent any anger at the admissions people you talk with - they were not the ones who made the decision and do not deserve any animosity. Stay calm and exceptionally pleasant - get them on your side and you will be surprised by what you can accomplish.

Good luck whichever the outcome and I do hope the Warwick avenue opens up for you.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by benq
Cheers. However, one person's good gap year experience doesn't mean that it will be similarly good for everybody else. Moreover, there are different types of careers, and for some, a gap year is a disadvantage.

True, to a point. However, worst case scenario is that you'll need to take a gap year - it's unfair, but necessary if you want to attend a good university. Stuff happens sometimes, and a mindset in which you resolve to make the best of it can have all the difference in determining how well you overcome this setback.
Original post by benq

But isn't a gap year better than going somewhere you would be unhappy at? Have you actually spoken to Warwick again about possibly getting an offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by benq

According to the Telegraph, there are places at Warwick for Philosophy as a single subject and also philosophy with other subjects. Call them now! I wish you all the best OP.
Reply 19
Talked with Warwick, but they said no. Nevertheless, thank you a lot everybody for the great advice, I really appreciate it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending