The Student Room Group

Will my GCSE results affect anything?

So I just got my gcse results and I have a C in english language, a B in biology and an A in chemistry. I'd preferably want to go to newcastle but just want opinions on whether I should resit English

Overall I got 1A* 2A 7B 1C but I am having 2 remarked which could bring it to 1A* 4A 5B and 1C
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by frances98
So I just got my gcse results and I have a C in english language, a B in biology and an A in chemistry. I'd preferably want to go to newcastle but just want opinions on whether I should resit English

Overall I got 1A* 2A 7B 1C but I am having 2 remarked which could bring it to 1A* 4A 5B and 1C

I only got 4 GCSE's above grade C and I went to college, did a B-TEC got the highest grades possible, minus one. And am now starting uni in September. GCSE's don't mean sh** if you ask me.
Reply 2
My GCSEs are a whoppin' B in English Lit, C in English Lang and C in Maths. That's it. I went to college and did a BTEC Extended Diploma in Business and got D*D*D* (highest grade possible), and am going to study Law at Reading Uni this September. Don't dwell too much on GCSEs, especially when they're as good as yours!
Reply 3
Ah ok but will it affect a dentistry application considering the competition
Original post by xmertic
I only got 4 GCSE's above grade C and I went to college, did a B-TEC got the highest grades possible, minus one. And am now starting uni in September. GCSE's don't mean sh** if you ask me.

OP is applying for dentistry....
Original post by frances98
Ah ok but will it affect a dentistry application considering the competition

Yes it will, but don't dwell on it, smash your ASs and your UKCAT.
Reply 6
Original post by alevelzzz
OP is applying for dentistry....

Irrelevant to my point.
Original post by xmertic
Irrelevant to my point.

Well, its not.
Dentistry is an incredibly difficult course to get onto where the average applicant has 5A*s...
Original post by SammyHam
My GCSEs are a whoppin' B in English Lit, C in English Lang and C in Maths. That's it. I went to college and did a BTEC Extended Diploma in Business and got D*D*D* (highest grade possible), and am going to study Law at Reading Uni this September. Don't dwell too much on GCSEs, especially when they're as good as yours!

This thread is in the dentistry forum.
Original post by xmertic

Well of course GCSEs don't mean **** if you're applying for ****ing game development.
Well, its not.
Dentistry is an incredibly difficult course to get onto where the average applicant has 5A*s...

Considering my point had NOTHING to do with dentistry... then yes. It is indeed irrelevant to MY point.

They could probably still become a dentist anyway
Original post by xmertic
Considering my point had NOTHING to do with dentistry... then yes. It is indeed irrelevant to MY point.

They could probably still become a dentist anyway

Well your point was completely pointless since the OP is asking about dentistry.

'They could probably still become a dentist anyway' Ok jeff, the games developer with special interest in dentistry university entry.
Well your point was completely pointless since the OP is asking about dentistry.

'They could probably still become a dentist anyway' Ok jeff, the games developer with special interest in dentistry university entry.

I know they were talking about dentistry, but that isn't the only job in the world.

Yeah of course they could, don't be silly. Gertrude the nincompoop, they doesn't have to be a legal one :wink:

Jeff isn't my name, but Games Development was close :wink: I couldn't care less about dentistry, I just don't like seeing people moan about pointless crap that isn't the end of the world :smile:
This thread is in the dentistry forum.

Oops, didn't even notice! Apologies to the OP..! I don't know enough about how to get into dentistry to help you here, sorry. :frown:
It will make your application weaker for dentistry definitely but if you destroy your AS and UKCAT and have a good personal statement then you should have a chance to get in.
Original post by xmertic

I would like to ask you, did you meet your requirements though for your college? Moreover, being a BTEC do you think there's more of a lenience if you missed your grade(s) by one - assuming you've still passed of course.
Original post by PhilosophicalHat
I would like to ask you, did you meet your requirements though for your college? Moreover, being a BTEC do you think there's more of a lenience if you missed your grade(s) by one - assuming you've still passed of course.

Nope, didn't meet them. I did two B-TEC's and got A*s all across. Nope, no lenience just because it's a B-TEC because they made me do two.

I only did bad in GCSE because I had no motivation, ambition or direction. When I got to college I did, with that in mind I could have been a B and A student. But what happens, happens and I'm doing fine for myself :smile: So I don't really care :biggrin:
Original post by xmertic
Nope, didn't meet them. I did two B-TEC's and got A*s all across. Nope, no lenience just because it's a B-TEC because they made me do two.

I only did bad in GCSE because I had no motivation, ambition or direction. When I got to college I did, with that in mind I could have been a B and A student. But what happens, happens and I'm doing fine for myself :smile: So I don't really care :biggrin:

Yeah, I'm wearing similar shoes as yourself. It's why I asked. It's not that I performed badly it's just that I can't stand to do anything but sport - more of the physical side - but I've a keen interest in the science also. I met that specific requirement (BTEC SPORT) but the others are all C's. Do you think there's a chance that I could get it?

Everyone on here's got like 1o A* up their A**, rightfully so if they worked hard, but it doesn't have to be that way.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by PhilosophicalHat
Yeah, I'm wearing similar shoes as yourself. It's why I asked. It's not that I performed badly it's just that I can't stand to do anything but sport - more of the physical side - but I've a keen interest in the science also. I met that specific requirement (BTEC SPORT) but the others are all C's. Do you think there's a chance that I could get it?

Everyone on here's got like 1o A* up their A**, rightfully so if they worked hard, but it doesn't have to be that way.

Yeah dude, you'll be fine so long as you got the entry requirements :smile:

Yeah it's good that people are getting A's and A*'s but you really don't need it :smile: Unless you do want to do something like dentistry haha
Original post by xmertic
Yeah dude, you'll be fine so long as you got the entry requirements :smile:

Yeah it's good that people are getting A's and A*'s but you really don't need it :smile: Unless you do want to do something like dentistry haha

Yeah, true say. What are you studying currently - if you're still in education?

Quick Reply

Latest