The Student Room Group

Voice too deep for lecturing?

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0x4aMcXoFm4

Here I am reading an extract from Frank Chalk's famous novel.

:mad::angry:

Is my voice too deep for lecturing at a university? Would my students fall asleep?

Any tips on getting my voice to be higher pitched?

EDIT:

http://vocaroo.com/i/s17rSGFHtkuJ

Narnia
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I could follow you around and kick you in the balls at regular intervals? I hear that works.

Source: Comedy.
(edited 9 years ago)
I quite like your voice. It amuses me.
Original post by Viva Emptiness
I could follow you around and kick you in the balls at regular intervals? I hear that works.

Source: Comedy.

Roller coasters also make my voice high pitched.

Source: End of year school trip to Thorpe Park

Original post by Holby_fanatic
I quite like your voice. It amuses me.

I sound like a Dalek...
Reply 4
Original post by Autistic Merit

Is my voice too deep for lecturing at a university? Would my students fall asleep?

I don't know if it's the audio quality or what, but at first it sounded like you were speaking German or something, couldn't tell a word.

Maybe just using a microphone would work, make yourself louder and clearer?
I also would appreciate tips on making my voice clearer. As you can tell, it's hard to make out some of what I am saying because I tend to mumble and some words tend to blend into each other.
Your pitch is not the problem. Your mumbling is. A bass male voice is lovely to listen to, although you're not that deep actually.

So talk more slowly, and stop mumbling. Take care to pronounce all parts of a word, which should happen naturally when you reduce your pace. Sometimes lifting your head up can help too.
I don't think your voice is too deep, I think you just need to pronounce words a little clearer and speak with enthusiasm as you didn't sound particularly interested.

Prior to this whenever I saw your posts I thought you were female...
Original post by ArabianPhoenix
Prior to this whenever I saw your posts I thought you were female...

Why?!
Your voice is fine. I think you may be speaking a little low that's all. My human biology A-level teacher had a voice like this and it attracted a lot of attention/talk from us girls in the powder room. My maths A-level teacher had a high pitched one that used to crack in between his angry rants about people coming to class late, and everyone used to take the piss out of him because it was funny. Your voice is fine, really.
Why?!

I just assumed you that because you were a teacher you were female? :s-smilie:

Was it secondary school?
Your voice is fine. My suggestions would be:

1. slow down
2. enunciate your words
3. pause at the right time, i.e. not in the middle of a sentence, but after you have conveyed a part of the message.
I found your voice really relaxing actually :lol: It's not too deep, it's just very mumbly. Maybe speak a little slower and try not to blend all your words together.
x

Could you do another vocaroo, this time reading from a Narnia book, pls? :h:
I want you as my mac voice.
Jesus your voice makes you sound so ****ing boring lol... Where is de passion?
Original post by Martina_
Your voice is fine. I think you may be speaking a little low that's all. My human biology A-level teacher had a voice like this and it attracted a lot of attention/talk from us girls in the powder room. My maths A-level teacher had a high pitched one that used to crack in between his angry rants about people coming to class late, and everyone used to take the piss out of him because it was funny. Your voice is fine, really.

Is the powder room a euphemism for the ****ter lol?
Original post by cuckoo99
Is the powder room a euphemism for the ****ter lol?

Hahaha yeah :smile:
Original post by Martina_
Hahaha yeah :smile:

Haha girls crack me up :biggrin:

Quick Reply