The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Would not is preferable to wouldn't. Contractions are more suited to dialogue than to a formal written piece. Especially with English.
Reply 2
Agreed. This is a formal piece of writing, no apostrophies or exclaimation marks please. Don't try to be original by using "hip" colloquial language either, you'll just look like a poo head.
would not
Reply 4
would not. do not abbreviate anything
Reply 5

Definitely would not as this is the written mode, therefore contractions should not be utilised. There is a use for A Level English Language after all!:biggrin:
Reply 6
If you abbreviate anything and I review it, I'll tell you off. So, it depends whether you want to be told off or not.
Reply 7
Juno
If you abbreviate anything and I review it, I'll tell you off. So, it depends whether you want to be told off or not.

Eek! :biggrin:
Reply 8
I wouldn't use wouldn't in my PS. :biggrin:
'Would not', unless you're running out of space, in which case 'wouldn't'. However, you have to judge the tone - in some places it's just wrong to put 'wouldn't', in some places, it's acceptable.
Reply 10
The Ace is Back
'Would not', unless you're running out of space, in which case 'wouldn't'. However, you have to judge the tone - in some places it's just wrong to put 'wouldn't', in some places, it's acceptable.

lol wouldn't is only one less character doubt you that seriously despersate besides never abbreviate lol as i said before
Yeah but you might need to do a lot of abbreviating.
Reply 12
Perhaps... just that here we've always been told not to use contractions in written speech. Each to his own I guess. :smile:
Reply 13
Knogle
Perhaps... just that here we've always been told not to use contractions in written speech. Each to his own I guess. :smile:

yeh exactly it is formal writing and you can still expres your own style in a more formal fashion and by putting cannot instead of can't or would not instead wouldn't is simply just good english more that anything else, not detracting from your personal style at all.
Would not, cannot, etc
dont use "innit" either :biggrin:
I'm glad this kind of forums exist. I just realised I have to be extremely careful with my personal statement when it comes to using the language correctly. English is a foreing language to me, and although I know the grammar and the spelling, small things like whether to use contractions or not aren't that clear to me. I'm gonna be so screwed because of my PS :hmpf:. And no, I am not gonna use "gonna" in the statement :wink:.
Reply 16
Louize
poo head.

"poo head" LOL
Reply 17
elisabethbridge
I'm glad this kind of forums exist. I just realised I have to be extremely careful with my personal statement when it comes to using the language correctly. English is a foreing language to me, and although I know the grammar and the spelling, small things like whether to use contractions or not aren't that clear to me. I'm gonna be so screwed because of my PS :hmpf:. And no, I am not gonna use "gonna" in the statement :wink:.

your english seems very good anyway! plus I'm sure they'll take into account that english isn't your 1st language..you'll be fine!
Reply 18
elisabethbridge

lol considering english isn't your first language i like that screwed in in ure vocab lol! i found that rather amusing
Reply 19
elisabethbridge
... English is a foreing language to me, and although I know the grammar and the spelling, small things like whether to use contractions or not aren't that clear to me....
You'll be fine. I'm sure they'll take into account the fact that English isn't your first language. As long as you realise that the kind of English we use when talking, in convesrations, text messaging and internet forums isn't acceptable in university essays and dissertations you'll be OK. We all tend to speak in slang but formal written English has to be like the grammar book says and with no contractions. We always use contractions when speaking (even formally).

Latest

Trending

Trending