The Student Room Group

I did absolutely terrible...

I got an A* in chemistry and physics.
A in biology, latin, german, maths, english lang and lit, business studies.
B in Religious studies.
I cant do dentistry now...

Scroll to see replies

Oh yeah truly awful.....they're really good.

Cardiff University

[h="3"]Minimum Entry Requirements[/h]All applicants must satisfy the current GCSE requirement. We expect grade As in English Language, Mathematics, Science, Additional Science (including the Double Award), PLUS one of the following:

[h="4"]A-Levels[/h]Five Year course: Our current entry requirements (2012 entry) is AAA grades to be achieved from three A-levels, with A grades in Chemistry and Biology.
We do not give preference to an applicant whose third A-level is in a science subject.

This should give you an idea as well

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Dentistry_Entry_Requirements

Just ace your A levels and hope for the best at interview.
Firstly those are not "terrible" by any standards, so stop pandering for sympathy.

Your job now is to go look at the many dentistry guides and see whether its still an option. I am fairly certain my mates doing dentistry got similiar GCSE's but much better a-levels. If not look at alternatives.
Terrible? Come on man you know that isn't terrible and I don't see how that could possibly stop you from doing dentistry.
Reply 4
One of my friends got 10A*s and another got 6A*s, 3A's and 1B. I have to work so hard to become a dentist now...
Reply 5
They're not terrible and you know it. they're above average.
You did brilliantly! If you had been in my school the year I took my GCSEs, you would have been in the top twenty students in the year group. Stop thinking you did badly - those are amazing grades!
Original post by VonDoom
One of my friends got 10A*s and another got 6A*s, 3A's and 1B. I have to work so hard to become a dentist now...

Yes but if it is something that you really want then having to work hard to get it should be something you welcome, not dread
Original post by VonDoom

It's not like you are just give results at random, if you wanted better results you should have worked harder, if you want to do dentistry, you still can so don't worry, but you can't start complaining that friends did better because they probably worked harder!
Reply 9
Get good a levels and you will be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Your results are good enough for dentistry

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
For my A levels what should I do then?

Maths Biology Chemistry, and what else?
Original post by VonDoom
For my A levels what should I do then?

Maths Biology Chemistry, and what else?

Anything other than General Studies or Critical Thinking

My suggestion would be Physics, given that was one of your best subjects
Reply 13
Original post by BryonyG98
Anything other than General Studies or Critical Thinking

My suggestion would be Physics, given that was one of your best subjects

Yeah but all that coursework :/

omfg and another friend of mine got 7A*s and 3A's!
DAMN!
Original post by VonDoom

omfg and another friend of mine got 7A*s and 3A's!
DAMN!

It doesnt matter what your friends got, you did well and have the opportunity to go into your desired career with some hard work, which if you really want to get into this field you will do without much complaint; even if it means missing the occasional party
Reply 15
But universities prefer 6A*'s for dentistry don't they?
That's what the careers officer said at school.
I want to go into medicine also and to get into the uni i want they care more about A levels than GCSE's so as long as i got at least B's in everything they will consider you if you get AAA or AAB at A level. In most cases if your A levels are good as long as you got B's or higher you will be considered, also note that the exams were marked harsher this year and so universities will take that into account when our year goes to apply for uni.
Original post by VonDoom
But universities prefer 6A*'s for dentistry don't they?
That's what the careers officer said at school.

That means that with a lot of hard work to get good AS results it can still happen
Reply 18
Time to work hard then.
You will do fine. Take subjects you enjoy and work hard and it will be great.

Quick Reply

Latest