The Student Room Group

Questions about Warwick Maths

Hey,
I've finished AS levels in year 12 going in to year 13, I'm doing Maths Further Maths Physics and Chemistry. I got 4 As for AS. I don't think Im going to drop one.
On TSR people say Warwick's level of maths is close to that of Cambridge? If so what makes it close to the level of Cambridge? I know Cambridges Maths course can't get much better. But what makes Warwick have such a high maths reputation?
If any maths students are at Warwick could you describe advantages and disadvantages to do maths at Warwick??

Thanks
Hi, I've just got into Warwick to do Maths, so I can see what people mean but I'd say it's DEFINITELY harder to get into Cambridge. Both need STEP exams, which is probably why people say they're similar standards, but Cambridge wants 2 STEP exams (and doing well in both AND an interview!) where Warwick only wants a 1 or a 2 in ONE STEP exam and no interview- which is obviously easier. As for your A levels, I think both Cambridge and Warwick are keen on A*A*A with A* in Maths and FM. Since I've not started the course yet, I can't comment on what the reputation/advantages are like, but I hope that's helped with the entry requirement questions! :biggrin:
Original post by timewilltell
Hey,
I've finished AS levels in year 12 going in to year 13, I'm doing Maths Further Maths Physics and Chemistry. I got 4 As for AS. I don't think Im going to drop one.
On TSR people say Warwick's level of maths is close to that of Cambridge? If so what makes it close to the level of Cambridge? I know Cambridges Maths course can't get much better. But what makes Warwick have such a high maths reputation?
If any maths students are at Warwick could you describe advantages and disadvantages to do maths at Warwick??

Thanks

I'm currently studying maths at Warwick, going into my third year now.

I can't make serious comparisons between Warwick and Cambridge because I have never studied at Cambridge.

The courses cover similar content in the first years from what I have studied and seen on Cambridge's maths pages. Cambridge is obviously considerably harder to get into, where the odds of getting an offer are much lower and the offer being much higher.

The Warwick course is difficult, and since you can't apply to both Oxford and Cambridge many people put Warwick as an insurance to Cambridge. I know many people who had and failed to hit their Cambridge offers.

It's probably similar in course content, but different in many ways otherwise.

Advantages of doing maths at Warwick: flexoblr module options, fairly good support, a degree that is recognised within business, good position for beginning research.

Disadvantages: not a well known university name, not as well known as Cambridge anyway (obviously).
Original post by meglikesmaths
Hi, I've just got into Warwick to do Maths, so I can see what people mean but I'd say it's DEFINITELY harder to get into Cambridge. Both need STEP exams, which is probably why people say they're similar standards, but Cambridge wants 2 STEP exams (and doing well in both AND an interview!) where Warwick only wants a 1 or a 2 in ONE STEP exam and no interview- which is obviously easier. As for your A levels, I think both Cambridge and Warwick are keen on A*A*A with A* in Maths and FM. Since I've not started the course yet, I can't comment on what the reputation/advantages are like, but I hope that's helped with the entry requirement questions! :biggrin:

Dude, no way I just got into Warwick Maths as well!!

What accommodation was your first and second choice?
Original post by mr.dowell
Dude, no way I just got into Warwick Maths as well!!

What accommodation was your first and second choice?

Oh nice! Claycroft 1 and Sherbourne 2... What about you? Are we likely to be crossing paths at any point? :')
Original post by meglikesmaths
Oh nice! Claycroft 1 and Sherbourne 2... What about you? Are we likely to be crossing paths at any point? :')

Well I put 1.Cryfield 2.Whitefields ..I just went for the cheapest lol.. I'm sure we'll see each other in the maths department at some point in our 3/4 years of being there.

PM me if you want we shouldn't clutter this post up :smile:
Reply 6
Thanks guys :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest