The Student Room Group

GCSE grades suitable for Medicine

I just received my GCSE results.I got 1A*, 10A and 2B (English Language and Geography). I want to do medicine in the future and want to go to Imperial or UCL University. With these grades will I get in?
Original post by jelollipop
I just received my GCSE results.I got 1A*, 10A and 2B (English Language and Geography). I want to do medicine in the future and want to go to Imperial or UCL University. With these grades will I get in?

They're fine for Medicine! Imperial and UCL look at other things (the BMAT, A-Levels etc.) so you won't get in with GCSE grades alone but the grades are fine for both. :smile:

I've moved this to the medicine forum for you too :biggrin:
Reply 3

Yes! They are fine for most medical schools. Obviously avoid medical schools which would place an emphasis on A*'s at GCSE. Some medical schools use grade point systems to assess your GCSE grades. For example Liverpool medical school give the the same number of points to A* and A grades i.e they don't differentiate them. Therefore for Liverpool you would achieve a score of 17/18 since an A*/A is worth 2 points, B is worth 1 point and they base it on your top 9 GCSE's (Must include Maths, English Language and Science).

Good luck! if you have any more questions, feel free to ask. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by 06shawm
Yes! They are fine for most medical schools. Obviously avoid medical schools which would place an emphasis on A*'s at GCSE. Some medical schools use grade point systems to assess your GCSE grades. For example Liverpool medical school give the the same number of points to A* and A grades i.e they don't differentiate them. Therefore for Liverpool you would achieve a score of 17/18 since an A*/A is worth 2 points, B is worth 1 point and they base it on your top 9 GCSE's (Must include Maths, English Language and Science).

Good luck! if you have any more questions, feel free to ask. :smile:

^^ this

Also, most medical schools post GCSE requirements on their websites, so you can look it up for the ones you are interested in.

Some, like UCL are not very forthcoming about what GSCEs are considered competitive beyond the minimum (which is ridiculously low at B in english and maths - so are only the minimum to prove literacy and numeracy). Imperial's minimum is AAABBB, and you have to have maths, 3 sciences and english.

Oustanding AS results can help make up for less competitive GCSEs, but yours look good anyway, although you may want to avoid the unis that use GCSEs a lot and require a high percentage of A*s at GCSE like oxford. It's all about applying smart! :smile:

Have a look at this for requirements - although it may be outdated, so check individual unis as well: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements

Also for a guide to competitive requirements, have a look at this thread giving the grades of people who did and did not get offers: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=865511
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending