The Student Room Group

What University Could I get into with these GCSE's?

I got 4As, 5Bs and 3Cs. I know they're not brilliant but I just wanted to know if I got really good A Levels would I still be able to apply for a Russell Group University.

Scroll to see replies

Absolutely, many universities couldn't care less what you got at GCSE as long as your A-levels are up to a high standard.
Reply 2
Thanks. It's just a friend told me that I'd need almost straight A's to get into somewhere like oxford.
Original post by gary1629
Thanks. It's just a friend told me that I'd need almost straight A's to get into somewhere like oxford.

The average Oxbridge applicant has multiple A*s but a) that is an average and b) Oxbridge aren't average Russell Group unis.
Reply 4
Reply 5
I got 4As, 5Bs and 3Cs. I know they're not brilliant but I just wanted to know if I got really good A Levels would I still be able to apply for a Russell Group University.

yeah of course! most universities don't look at gcse grades in great detail. some courses might need a B in maths or a C in english for example. I got into a russel group uni (exeter) and they only specified one gcse grade they wanted which was a B in maths, they didn't mind about the other grades. it is A levels they will focus on.
You need to do good in college first

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi this is what i got....

I got

Additional Science: A
Core Science: A
Economics: A
French: A
History: A
English lang: A
English lit: A
Maths: A
ICT : B
Art: A*

they arent the best....but are they acceptable for russel group universities, or maybe even oxbridge?

Reply 8

Original post by Fluffystar123
Hi this is what i got....

I got

Additional Science: A
Core Science: A
Economics: A
French: A
History: A
English lang: A
English lit: A
Maths: A
ICT : B
Art: A*

they arent the best....but are they acceptable for russel group universities, or maybe even oxbridge?

Both of you are probably thinking they are not good because you are comparing yourself to others on TSR. Don't. Let me just tell you right now, you both have got more than great results and yes they are good enough for a russel group university.

But that is if you perform well at A-Level. So don't think these GCSEs are stopping you because they aren't.

Well done guys.
Yes!

But a Russell Group isn't necessarily the best university(s) to go too! :wink:
Original post by Invest
Both of you are probably thinking they are not good because you are comparing yourself to others on TSR. Don't. Let me just tell you right now, you both have got more than great results and yes they are good enough for a russel group university.

But that is if you perform well at A-Level. So don't think these GCSEs are stopping you because they aren't.

Well done guys.

Thank you very much :smile:

i just have to do really well at A level and get good predicted grades.

These are the subjects im doing at Alevel

Maths
Eng Lit
Economics
History

Are those really streneous subjects considering how i did at gcse...just want an opinion :smile:
Original post by She-Ra
Yes!

But a Russell Group isn't necessarily the best university(s) to go too! :wink:

Yeah i agree
Reply 12
Thank you very much :smile:

i just have to do really well at A level and get good predicted grades.

These are the subjects im doing at Alevel

Maths
Eng Lit
Economics
History

Are those really streneous subjects considering how i did at gcse...just want an opinion :smile:

I'm not the best person to talk to. Maybe post in the A-Levels forum in the sticky named something like what a-levels should I take or something.

But what I can tell you is that Eng. Lit, Economics & History all go very well together. Maths goes well with Economics & you got an A in maths so this is a good choice of subjects to take forward. Hope you do well in A-levels :smile:
You're grades are almost exactly the same as what I got at GCSE! I think the fact I was quite disappointed made me work a little harder at sixth form, and I managed to get AAAB at AS. My college is now saying I should take a shot at an oxbridge application!

There are so many myths going around this website that seem to suggest if you didn't get straight A*'s you may as well start looking at dropping out of education, but TSR's standards seem to be a lot higher than that of the real world. If you manage to show significant progress from your GCSE results, I think it will demonstrate that your GCSE's didn't reflect your full potential. Honestly, so long as you got your C'S in English and Maths, you still have all your options open to you. :h:
(edited 9 years ago)
I got 4A's, 2B's, and 3C's at GCSE, and I got offers from Durham, Bristol, Nottingham and Warwick :wink: With good AS grades you can literally apply to anywhere in the country :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jellybanana
You're grades are almost exactly the same as what I got at GCSE! I think the fact I was quite disappointed made me work a little harder at sixth form, and I managed to get AAAB at AS. My college is now saying I should take a shot at an oxbridge application!

There are so many myths going around this website that seem to suggest if you didn't get straight A*'s you may as well start looking at dropping out of education, but TSR's standards seem to be a lot higher than that of the real world. If you manage to show significant progress from your GCSE results, I think it will demonstrate that your GCSE's didn't reflect your full potential. Honestly, so long as you got your C'S in English and Maths, you still have all your options open to you. :h:

Wow thats amazing.... :tongue:
what alevels did you take and what are you planning to study at uni? If you dont mind me asking.:smile:
Wow thats amazing.... :tongue:
what alevels did you take and what are you planning to study at uni? If you dont mind me asking.:smile:

Aw thank you so much :colondollar:

I took Geography, History, Psychology and Biology. I was planning on becoming a midwife, but since my grades were a lot better than I was expecting I'm now thinking I might do a history degree :smile:

For me personally, I found the step-up from GCSE to A-level actually helped my grades. For example, at GCSE I got a B in History, but at AS I got 100% UMS (still quite shocked about that tbh), mostly because the exam style changed from answering a whole load of short questions to having to answer one or two essay questions, which meant it was okay to forget little details so long as you had a good understanding of the subject. You might well find that the change helps you too!

My advice to you (and to anyone else starting sixth form) would just be to make sure you understand what you're doing in lessons as you go along, as it will make your life a lot easier come revision! If you don't get anything, your teachers will be more than happy to go over it with you, and then you won't be teaching yourself entire units the night before the exam. So long as you put in a reasonable amount of work you should be able to get good AS grades, and then you should be able to go pretty much anywhere :smile:
Aw thank you so much :colondollar:

I took Geography, History, Psychology and Biology. I was planning on becoming a midwife, but since my grades were a lot better than I was expecting I'm now thinking I might do a history degree :smile:

For me personally, I found the step-up from GCSE to A-level actually helped my grades. For example, at GCSE I got a B in History, but at AS I got 100% UMS (still quite shocked about that tbh), mostly because the exam style changed from answering a whole load of short questions to having to answer one or two essay questions, which meant it was okay to forget little details so long as you had a good understanding of the subject. You might well find that the change helps you too!

My advice to you (and to anyone else starting sixth form) would just be to make sure you understand what you're doing in lessons as you go along, as it will make your life a lot easier come revision! If you don't get anything, your teachers will be more than happy to go over it with you, and then you won't be teaching yourself entire units the night before the exam. So long as you put in a reasonable amount of work you should be able to get good AS grades, and then you should be able to go pretty much anywhere :smile:

Thank you for your really helpful reply :smile::smile:

Thats fantastic! I was actually planning to do a Histroy degree or a History/Politics degree! and 100% UMS:eek::eek: that is amazing, what board did you do, and are you currently in year 13? And what universities have you applyed to?
Sorry for all the questions im just curious haha.

Do you have any advice on what should be done if i were to apply for a history related degree...like what books i should be reading and stuff like that.
once again thank you for the reply :smile:

This. Don't think "Oh, there are months to get my head around this before the exam".
Thank you for your really helpful reply :smile::smile:

Thats fantastic! I was actually planning to do a Histroy degree or a History/Politics degree! and 100% UMS:eek::eek: that is amazing, what board did you do, and are you currently in year 13? And what universities have you applyed to?
Sorry for all the questions im just curious haha.

Do you have any advice on what should be done if i were to apply for a history related degree...like what books i should be reading and stuff like that.
once again thank you for the reply :smile:

Haha no worries, I'm flattered by the attention!

I've just finished Year 12 and I'm going into Year 13. I'm not applying to uni this year actually, as I'd like a bit longer to decide if I should do a history or midwifery degree, but at the moment for history I'm looking at Oxford/Cambridge (I may as well haha, although I have to admit I'm not exactly confident), Durham, York, Norwich and Southampton. I'm going to go to some open days this year though. I did Edexcel history- option D if it matters :biggrin:

Yeh I mean one of my reasons for waiting till next year to apply is that I wanted a bit longer to prepare a good history application, so if you start your further reading early you'll be well prepared for next year :smile: I'd recommend you perhaps read some books that give you a good overview of British or World history (there'll be plenty in your local library, I've currently got one called 'A Peoples History of Britain' by Rebecca Fraser), and then do some further reading in any areas that take your fancy. What you're really trying to demonstrate to the university you apply to is that you have a real interest in the subject, so it's important you read books on topics that interest you (ideally that you haven't covered in school) so that your enthusiasm can really come across in your personal statement or at interview. For example, if you read a book on the Stuarts just because you felt you should and then they quizzed you about it at an interview, it might be hard to try and act all enthusiastic about history when you're having to talk about a topic you really hate. You might also want to read one or two critical history books as opposed to just narrative ones, as this can provide a good area for discussion in interviews. Oh, and try to watch history documentaries when they're on!

You've picked really good subjects for History, and I'm sure so long as you keep on top of your work this year you'll be able to get the grades to make a strong application :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply