The Student Room Group

Getting horned/beeped at by motorist behind

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dez
30 is the speed limit, i.e. the maximum. You're supposed to adjust your speed depending on hazards in the road, not just blindly go at 30 the entire time oblivious to the world around you.

No it was actually 35. They just said 30 for extra precaution. So that's why it's ok. I don't think you know as much about motor history as I do.

I mean come on, do you really think it makes a big difference if I went 27 instead of 30?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Reue
And I assume you went along to the infrastructure committee armed with the evidence showing no clear correlation between speed restriction and reduction in traffic incidents? The actual council aren't paid at all. The council employees are paid to make recommendations to the committee who then approve or deny them.

Regardless; We've gone far off my original point which was, and still is: There is no need and it is illegal to overtake someone doing the speed limit.

Most of our council take home more in "expenses" than an average salary.

The speed limit is often unnecessarily slow, it may be technically illegal to overtake someone doing the speed limit, but that doesn't make it needless or somehow morally wrong. Illegal and immoral are two very different things.
Reply 42
Original post by cole-slaw
Most of our council take home more in "expenses" than an average salary.

Which council is this?

The speed limit is often unnecessarily slow, it may be technically illegal to overtake someone doing the speed limit, but that doesn't make it needless or somehow morally wrong. Illegal and immoral are two very different things.

I disagree, but okay :smile:
Original post by po10tial
Hi,

I am going to admit something that I may get hate for. I hate young drivers, despite being in my early 20s myself.

The majority of them drive dangerously, fast and think they are the best road users.

I am a young driver who sticks by the speed limit and I may sometimes go over the limit by one or two mph, but the other day when driving down residential streets at around 15-20 mph, the motorist behind beeped at me a few times before overtaking. He was a young lad, and after overtaking me he stopped his vehicle due to traffic lights being red. I felt like beeping back at him, but then my younger brother was in the car and I didn't want some road rage to happen.

What is the best way to retaliate to getting beeped at? I have seen motorists getting out of their cars and getting violent

There's no need to retaliate - at the end of the day you're trying to get from A to B in one piece, don't worry about 'teaching a lesson' to people you feel have wronged you, there's no benefit in it.
Reply 44
Original post by Hitashami
No it was actually 35. They just said 30 for extra precaution. So that's why it's ok. I don't think you know as much about motor history as I do.

I mean come on, do you really think it makes a big difference if I went 27 instead of 30?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Historical reasons for setting the speed limit are pretty irrelevant. Nowadays 30 is considered the limit, and legally you can't drive faster than this on residential roads, end of. Going at 27 makes little difference but 25 definitely does, and 20 more so. You definitely wouldn't want to take a blind corner in a suburb street going at 30, it simply wouldn't be safe.
20mph is ridiculously slow. Its hard to even drive a car that slow without it stalling.

Then I think you need to brush up your driving skills.

It also makes it dangerous because its basically impossible to nip past a bike when there's a gap, meaning the cars have to squeeze past.

If it's not safe to overtake a bike as you would a car, you shouldn't be overtaking. You should never squeeze past.

I can't remember if this is the troll account or the real one, but based on this answer, I'm going for the former.
Original post by chazwomaq
Then I think you need to brush up your driving skills.

If it's not safe to overtake a bike as you would a car, you shouldn't be overtaking. You should never squeeze past.

I can't remember if this is the troll account or the real one, but based on this answer, I'm going for the former.

Yeah, but people do, chaz. You can whine about it all you like, but people are not going to crawl along behind a cyclist for 20 minutes if they think they can squeeze past.

If a road isn't safe to do 30 on, its not safe for cars at all. Pedestrianise it and build a separate road for the cars to use instead.
I think it's okay to go fast as long as you are safe.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 48
I think it's okay to go fast as long as you are safe.

The speed limits are as much about other people's safety as your own.

It's much easier to get out of an idiot's way who's going 30 then it is if they're going 50.
Original post by Reue
The speed limits are as much about other people's safety as your own.

It's much easier to get out of an idiot's way who's going 30 then it is if they're going 50.

It would also be easy to get out of someones way who's going 10mph than 25mph.
Reply 50
It would also be easy to get out of someones way who's going 10mph than 25mph.

Exactly! :smile:
Original post by Reue
Exactly! :smile:

I hate you :smile:
Reply 52
I hate you :smile:

Haha :wink:
In 99.995 of cases, if someone is tailgating you, they're trying to tell you that you're driving like a complete bellend and you need to sort your **** out.

I don't ever get tailgated, this is because I don't drive like I'm unconscious. If you find you get tailgated a lot, perhaps you need to consider what the common factor is in all these occurrences (hint: its your **** driving).

You are wrong.
In most cases, the person being tailgated has done nothing wrong. They are usually driving normally, driving at an appropriate speed for the situation (usually at- or just below- the speed limit). The person doing the tailgating shouldnt be doing it, it is dangerous, and there is no excuse for it. Someone else driving like a tit is no reason for you to tailgate them.
I've been getting horned at getting overtaken because of sticking to the road limits, What to do...? -_-
Original post by Joeey009
I've been getting horned at getting overtaken because of sticking to the road limits, What to do...? -_-

Ignore them. Easier if you have cruise control, you don't get bullied into speeding up that way!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Joeey009

Horn back at them. That's the most sensible and non aggressive solution. :]

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have only ever beeped someone twice, once as I was on a single lane roundabout (already part way round) and someone pulled out right in front of me- not just a misjudgment as he certainly couldn't have looked as I was right there. I had to emergency stop and luckily nothing was right behind me, i beeped and was tempted to follow him not to unleash some rage; but to make sure he understands how dangerous it is not to look before you go! Someone with slightly slower reactions (not claiming to be a ninja btw) would have gone right into the side of him. The second was someone who did an extremely dangerous overtake and my reaction was to beep. I have only been beeped once and it was my fault so when we got to traffic lights the car was behind me and I put my hand up to acknowledge i was in the wrong. Every time i drive though there is a temptation to beep some maniac but on the whole i just let it go.
Original post by po10tial
Hi,

I am going to admit something that I may get hate for. I hate young drivers, despite being in my early 20s myself.

The majority of them drive dangerously, fast and think they are the best road users.

I am a young driver who sticks by the speed limit and I may sometimes go over the limit by one or two mph, but the other day when driving down residential streets at around 15-20 mph, the motorist behind beeped at me a few times before overtaking. He was a young lad, and after overtaking me he stopped his vehicle due to traffic lights being red. I felt like beeping back at him, but then my younger brother was in the car and I didn't want some road rage to happen.

What is the best way to retaliate to getting beeped at? I have seen motorists getting out of their cars and getting violent

It's not just young drivers... there are plenty of road users of all age that drive over the speed limit or drive dangerously. I'd probably get annoyed if you were going 15mph in a 30mph road too tbh.

And why do you want to retaliate to getting beeped at? Sounds a bit childish...
Reply 59
I got beeped at for stopping at a red light today, the guy behind was far too close so had to slam on the brakes when I stopped. Idiot. I turned and waved at them which annoyed them even more. It was maybe childish but it made me feel better.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending