The Student Room Group

Getting horned/beeped at by motorist behind

Hi,

I am going to admit something that I may get hate for. I hate young drivers, despite being in my early 20s myself.

The majority of them drive dangerously, fast and think they are the best road users.

I am a young driver who sticks by the speed limit and I may sometimes go over the limit by one or two mph, but the other day when driving down residential streets at around 15-20 mph, the motorist behind beeped at me a few times before overtaking. He was a young lad, and after overtaking me he stopped his vehicle due to traffic lights being red. I felt like beeping back at him, but then my younger brother was in the car and I didn't want some road rage to happen.

What is the best way to retaliate to getting beeped at? I have seen motorists getting out of their cars and getting violent

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Do nothing. I mean what's the point? Stooping down to their level doesn't prove anything.
Reply 2
If someone beeps me and then I happen to catch up to him while he's stopped at a red light, I will flash my headlights at him continuously for as long as I'm waiting behind him. Don't beep, don't shout. Just flash those beams.
Reply 3
Original post by Dez
Do nothing. I mean what's the point? Stooping down to their level doesn't prove anything.

True. But how would you feel if someone kept beeping at you because you are going too slow.

I had to go slow, due to my car having faults that restrict its speed.

In this instance, I did nothing simply because there was a family member in the car, and I don't do road rages
Reply 4
Original post by Stinkum
If someone beeps me and then I happen to catch up to him while he's stopped at a red light, I will flash my headlights at him continuously for as long as I'm waiting behind him. Don't beep, don't shout. Just flash those beams.

True. That is in a way less violent
Reply 5
Original post by po10tial
True. That is in a way less violent

It's always funny when someone overtakes you while you're driving at the speed limit, only for them to stop further ahead at a junction or traffic lights and you catch up to them and stop right behind them...it's like, what was the point?
Reply 6
Original post by Stinkum
It's always funny when someone overtakes you while you're driving at the speed limit, only for them to stop further ahead at a junction or traffic lights and you catch up to them and stop right behind them...it's like, what was the point?

Even funnier when you're on a motorbike and then filter to the front of the traffic queue so they can sit behind you again :wink:
Reply 7
True. But how would you feel if someone kept beeping at you because you are going too slow.

In this instance, I did nothing simply because there was a family member in the car, and I don't do road rages

Can't say I'd feel much at all to be honest. Perhaps mildly wary since I'd be on the lookout for the impatient driver possibly doing something reckless, but in general I try not to let raging motorists bother me.
Reply 8
Hi,

I am going to admit something that I may get hate for. I hate young drivers, despite being in my early 20s myself.

The majority of them drive dangerously, fast and think they are the best road users.

I am a young driver who sticks by the speed limit and I may sometimes go over the limit by one or two mph, but the other day when driving down residential streets at around 15-20 mph, the motorist behind beeped at me a few times before overtaking. He was a young lad, and after overtaking me he stopped his vehicle due to traffic lights being red. I felt like beeping back at him, but then my younger brother was in the car and I didn't want some road rage to happen.

What is the best way to retaliate to getting beeped at? I have seen motorists getting out of their cars and getting violent

Just ignore them, people are just impatient :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Reue
Even funnier when you're on a motorbike and then filter to the front of the traffic queue so they can sit behind you again :wink:

Haha that's even better, but I imagine it's uncommon for a motorcyclist to get overtaken by a car? I'm just guessing.
Reply 10
Original post by Stinkum
Haha that's even better, but I imagine it's uncommon for a motorcyclist to get overtaken by a car? I'm just guessing.

Why would it be uncommon, if the car is going above the speed limit?

Unless you're suggesting all motorcyclists speed? :wink:
Hi,

Do nothing. Retaliation is stupid.

Also why were you going at 15-20mph? You're gonnaget arrested for curb crawling going that slowly.

He probably thought you weren't concentrating or were looking for an address and so was asking to go past you. I don't think what he did was particularly rude.
Reply 12
Original post by Reue
Why would it be uncommon, if the car is going above the speed limit?

Unless you're suggesting all motorcyclists speed? :wink:

Haha that certainly does seem to be the case, I don't usually go beyond 32 or 33mph, but nearly every time there's a motorcyclist, he'll just accelerate past me and past the rest of the traffic very rapidly.

Are you sure its legal to drive a car with such a serious lack of road-worthiness? Would it pass an MOT in its current condition?
Reply 14
Original post by Stinkum
Haha that certainly does seem to be the case, I don't usually go beyond 32 or 33mph, but nearly every time there's a motorcyclist, he'll just accelerate past me and past the rest of the traffic very rapidly.

Then he is an idiot and the reason motorcycles have such high mortality rates.
Your driving below the speed limit he is totally reasonable to overtake you. Even if it allowed him to make no progress in this case.
It's much worse when you get overtaken doing 70 on a country road (60 limit) by some **** in a van, even when we can't see whats coming the other way because of corners or hills. Getting bullied off the road at 5am in the morning in the middle of nowhere can be quite scary.
If you don't want road rage ignore them.

I generally can't stand motobikers or cyclists on the road, idiots.
Original post by bittr n swt
If you don't want road rage ignore them.

I generally can't stand motobikers or cyclists on the road, idiots.

In my experience there are more terrible car drivers than motorcyclists or cyclists.
Original post by Reue
Then he is an idiot and the reason motorcycles have such high mortality rates.

Better to overtake faster and be on the wrong side of the road for less time...
Reply 19
Original post by shaymarriott
Better to overtake faster and be on the wrong side of the road for less time...

Better to not overtake someone doing the limit?

Quick Reply

Latest