The Student Room Group

I don't think I did very well...

Hi, so here's what I got:

ABCCCCCDD and a distinction in OCR Level 2 National ICT First Award.

The subject I got an A in was RE and the subject I got a B in was Maths. The C's are Core Science, Double Science, Graphics, Geography, English Language. The subjects I got a D in was Drama and English Literature.

Do you think this will get me into College? I want to study Maths, Physics, Computing and Business Studies. The college requires 5 A* - C including 2 A* - B and at least a C in English Language and Maths. I will be able to do Maths, but Physics I am doubting that they will let me do it as I should have at least a B in Double Science, but I got a C... gutted. Computing I'm 100% sure I'll be able to do, and Business Studies will be good too in my opinion.

I want to know that if I do extremely well in my A levels, as in get perfect grades, would it compensate for my GCSE's? Will I be able to get into University? I really want to study Computer Science and I know of course I'm not gonna get into a major University like Manchester.

Anyhow, regardless to what I've said above these are my questions:

1. Are these grades any good? Will they get me into university if I was to do extremely well at A Levels?
2. Do you think they'll accept me into the college? I am going for enrollment at 03:00.

Thanks in advance... I just need some reassurance because my dad wasn't awfully happy about these results, my mum wasn't that happy... and I have a big family and I don't wanna make them sad if I don't get an admission into the college I want to go in.
I think the English lit D will hold you back a bit, most unis ask for a C in english and maths. But apart from that they dont care about your GCSEs THAT MUCH (They do care just Alevels are more important). If you got like A*A*A or AAA or even AAB or ABB, you'd still be able to get into most russell group unis. Computer science is a very niche degree, and i can say there are some ex-polytechnics such as Hertfordshire which do better at computing and tech degrees than some russell groups!
Thanks for the reply... I'll wait for some other guys to let me know their opinions too :smile:.
Original post by guyfromengland
1. Are these grades any good? Will they get me into university if I was to do extremely well at A Levels?

I would say that you're results are actually much better than you seem to think they are- you managed to achieve 5 passes, which means you can go on to college! They're certainly good enough to get you into university, and if you do better at A-level then I'm sure a lot of admissions tutors will recognise that your GCSE's didn't accurately reflect your ability. In truth, unless you're applying to somewhere like Oxbridge or Imperial, a lot of places don't really give a toss about your GCSE's.

2. Do you think they'll accept me into the college? I am going for enrollment at 03:00.

I think they will definitely accept you, the only thing you might have problems with is being enrolled onto physics. Were your results what you were expecting to get? If you didn't do as well as you thought you were going too, you may be able to argue your case a bit with your college to see if they would let you onto the course (especially if you have high grades in coursework or something you could show them). However, if you think your grades accurately reflect your ability, it might be worth considering if you're actually suited to the physics course, as it is one of the hardest A-levels out there.

Good luck, and don't beat yourself up about your results, you can still go to uni :smile:

EDIT
: Regarding your English grades, I think the majority of places ask for at least a C in English language OR English lit, so you should be fine
(edited 9 years ago)
Thanks for the reassurance jellybanana. That really has made me a bit happier :smile:. Yes, of course I will give my arguments to the college for why I should do Physics; and of course I will be trying my bloody hardest to get the best I can at A Levels.

My teachers in High School were expecting me to get mostly A's and B's and a couple of C's, that didn't really go to plan, but oh well. What was actually happening was that we were getting a house extension done.. which basically meant a lot of noise, not much heating, no good food... and I couldn't concentrate on revising whatsoever. But I can't use that as an excuse.. I should've sorted something out myself which I completely understand.

I am generally a practically clever guy, meaning that I can accomplish what I want to achieve very easily.. but when it comes down to writing it on paper and how to do X, Y and Z that's where things start messing up.

To be perfectly honest with you, I did revise quite a bit but I am 100% sure that I didn't revise enough. I only spent 2-3 hours per day revising, my bad with that...

Anyways, thanks for the reassurance again and I hope what you said, jellybanana, which actually happen :smile:. PS: I think I was right on the grade boundary for Physics.. I was close, and besides all this Physics was better than Chemistry and Biology in my point of view in high school.

Thanks again!

Later edit: About the English, it's the English Language that my primary college is looking for, not literature; I doubt this will be a huge problem but I'm sure that they will bring it up and of course I will discuss it with them about it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Hi, so here's what I got:

ABCCCCCDD and a distinction in OCR Level 2 National ICT First Award.

The subject I got an A in was RE and the subject I got a B in was Maths. The C's are Core Science, Double Science, Graphics, Geography, English Language. The subjects I got a D in was Drama and English Literature.

Do you think this will get me into College? I want to study Maths, Physics, Computing and Business Studies. The college requires 5 A* - C including 2 A* - B and at least a C in English Language and Maths. I will be able to do Maths, but Physics I am doubting that they will let me do it as I should have at least a B in Double Science, but I got a C... gutted. Computing I'm 100% sure I'll be able to do, and Business Studies will be good too in my opinion.

I want to know that if I do extremely well in my A levels, as in get perfect grades, would it compensate for my GCSE's? Will I be able to get into University? I really want to study Computer Science and I know of course I'm not gonna get into a major University like Manchester.

Anyhow, regardless to what I've said above these are my questions:

Thanks in advance... I just need some reassurance because my dad wasn't awfully happy about these results, my mum wasn't that happy... and I have a big family and I don't wanna make them sad if I don't get an admission into the college I want to go in.

well firstly you're grades are not as bad as you think as you have done enough to get the 5 A* to C grades so you can go to college. most universities don't look at GCSE's much they may ask for a pass (C grade in english/maths) but not usually much more unless you apply for something like medicine or a top university like oxford.
I reckon they will accept you yes, you may have a issue with physics but you might be able to talk your way into getting in anyway.
Reply 6
OK here is some brutal but honest advice to you.
Firstly congratulations on getting so many passes and for the A which is brilliant. My two brothers have gone off to Uni and I can tell you that (a) maths and physics are the single two hardest A levels (b) unis don't care what you take at A level - save for critical thinking and General Studies, they hate them - what they care about is your mark so put your best foot forward and carry on at A level with what you are best at and what you stand the best chance of getting the highest mark in. and work on yourself - write a personal statement NOW and think about what else about you appeals to an admissions officer - hobbies, experience, jobs, sports, volunteering, travel, reading.
my heartfelt advice - do RE A level and then choose two other subjects that you love and you are good at that are NOT physics or maths (neither of your marks are good enough to cope with the A level) and then think about doing politics, business, philosophy, psychology at Uni.
Well thanks for your replies, I went yesterday and everything was successful. I decided instead of the Physics A Level and chose RE A Level instead, this was because of what you said, Oxman96, as they look at your grades in the universities.. If I am strong in RE then that's what I should do as it will show well on my university applications. I will put my foot down and try my best now and see where this all takes me :smile:.

By the way, I was accepted into my primary college choice.

Quick Reply

Latest