The Student Room Group

dentistry personal statement

should i mention work experience i did at a hospital and gp on a dentistry personal statement as well as dental work experience? or does it make me look unsure? is there anyway i could relate it to the career? medicine and dentistry?
Original post by mass_
should i mention work experience i did at a hospital and gp on a dentistry personal statement as well as dental work experience? or does it make me look unsure? is there anyway i could relate it to the career? medicine and dentistry?

Moved this to the dentistry forum for you, bud. :smile:

I definitely think you can mention it on your PS - they are both clinical fields and require a lot of similar skills and qualities, and you can also talk about how doing this work experience cemented that dentistry was for you rather than medicine (I'd say the varied work experience shows deeper career exploration than someone who's only did W/E in a dentists!)
Original post by mass_

I can't remember which one, but at one uni open day (couple of years back) a dental admissions tutor mentioned in passing that they quite liked it when students had researched other courses/professions as this showed they had carefully considered their options and were fully committed to dentistry.
In your personal statement you could put something along the lines of "having explored other courses through work experience at ..... hospital and .......GP, I am certain that Dentistry is for me"......." or "work experience placements at GP and hospital further confirmed that dentistry is the course for me" if you so wished you could also add why dentistry not medicine - this is a question you may be asked at interview.
You could also perhaps add anything you particularly learnt on these placements such as the importance of good communications between health professionals/patients.

Quick Reply

Latest