The Student Room Group

AS English Literature results

I'm pretty gutted with my Literature results as I'm particularly interested in doing an English Literature degree at University. It now seems impossible to do so as I got a D in my AS English Lit results even with revising a hell of a lot throughout the year. I was just wondering what other people got at AS doing Lit and whether or not they got into Uni this year? I am planning on retaking my AS exam next year whilst doing my A2. I just need some reassurance that maybe doing a lit degree isn't impossible?
Original post by sjredders
I'm pretty gutted with my Literature results as I'm particularly interested in doing an English Literature degree at University. It now seems impossible to do so as I got a D in my AS English Lit results even with revising a hell of a lot throughout the year. I was just wondering what other people got at AS doing Lit and whether or not they got into Uni this year? I am planning on retaking my AS exam next year whilst doing my A2. I just need some reassurance that maybe doing a lit degree isn't impossible?

Hiya :h:

I've moved this to the English exams forum for you :smile:

Hopefully someone here can help you out and give you practical advice.
AQA? It ****ed me over too.
Reply 3
Yeah! What did you get?
I'm sure you can bring up a D from AS with a retake this year! How did you do in your coursework compared to your exam?

Hey :smile: I don't know where you'd like to study Lit, but I have a friend who got a D at AS and she got an offer for English Literature with Creative Writing at Lancaster. She resat the exam (she did English Combined) and managed an A overall at A2 :h: so with a resit, it's definitely possible! :smile: if you'd like any advice on English Lit, I recently finished the A2 and would be happy to help :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by scavi2008
I'm sure you can bring up a D from AS with a retake this year! How did you do in your coursework compared to your exam?

I got an E in my exam and a C in my coursework, I was told my coursework was a B but came back as a C😒
Reply 7
Original post by Changing Skies
Hey :smile: I don't know where you'd like to study Lit, but I have a friend who got a D at AS and she got an offer for English Literature with Creative Writing at Lancaster. She resat the exam (she did English Combined) and managed an A overall at A2 :h: so with a resit, it's definitely possible! :smile: if you'd like any advice on English Lit, I recently finished the A2 and would be happy to help :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow that's fab! I hope I can get my grade up like that. I'm going to work extremely hard this year to get a better grade! Thank you so much, I'll probably take you up on that☺️
Many people turn it around with retakes, just do your best and apply for what you most want to do. If it doesn't work out there is always the option to take another year or to take up a place through clearing. These things happen so try not to dwell on it.
Reply 9

At AS, I got an A in the coursework and a C in the exam which gave me a B overall. The C in the exam damaged my confidence because I knew that the A2 exam would be harder :|. At A2, I retook the exam and got an A* overall, only losing out on 7 marks over the whole of A2. (I'm still shocked!). It's true that A2 will definitely develop your writing style more!
I thought it would be impossible for me to achieve that grade, and I was worried that I wouldn't achieve higher than a B otherwise it would mean I wouldn't be able to study it at a Russell Group uni. But if you work hard, pester your teachers to go over essays with you sat next to them, get used to analysing unseen extracts, and annotate exemplar scripts, you WILL be able to get a good grade! :smile:

You obviously enjoy literature otherwise you wouldn't want to do it at uni, so just stay determined and be confident. This is coming from someone who broke down in front of my literature teachers on a couple of occasions - it was embarrassing, but it definitely made me realise how much I wanted it as I don't cry very often! :biggrin:

If you need someone to talk to, just message me and I'll help where I can :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got a D in my first as exam then resat and got an A. It's just because English is very subjective so don't be out off by one result :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

A lit degree is not impossible! I got a D at AS and was absolutely devastated. I didn't want to apply for uni whilst doing A2s as I know that most Lit degrees ask for a B minimum in A level English Lit. So decided to take a gap year after A2 and apply for unis then, when I had my grades in front of me. Resat AS and did A2 in the same year, came out with an A overall. Frankly, if I'd had the stresses of applying to uni that year I may not have done so well as I had to resit 2 of my AS level exams.

Original post by ByronicHero
Many people turn it around with retakes, just do your best and apply for what you most want to do. If it doesn't work out there is always the option to take another year or to take up a place through clearing. These things happen so try not to dwell on it.

But this is true too. You can always apply and then if you do get a higher grade you could try and find somewhere else through clearing.
Original post by Precious Illusions
A lit degree is not impossible! I got a D at AS and was absolutely devastated. I didn't want to apply for uni whilst doing A2s as I know that most Lit degrees ask for a B minimum in A level English Lit. So decided to take a gap year after A2 and apply for unis then, when I had my grades in front of me. Resat AS and did A2 in the same year, came out with an A overall. Frankly, if I'd had the stresses of applying to uni that year I may not have done so well as I had to resit 2 of my AS level exams.

But this is true too. You can always apply and then if you do get a higher grade you could try and find somewhere else through clearing.

As above. You can turn it around and if you need any help message me and, when I'm sober, I will help you as best I can.
I got an E in my exam and a C in my coursework, I was told my coursework was a B but came back as a C

A C is a strong enough grade - hopefully if it's a high C that will help too. Retake the exam next year when you really know your technique and the format of the exam well and I'm sure you could pull off an A/B/C overall :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending