The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Because a life without 12 A*s isn't much of a life at all :curious:
Original post by ando181
Because some people want to apply for medicine, dentistry, oxbridge etc?

There are other decent universities that offer those courses. I fail to see why people seem to think Oxbridge are the only decent universities in the country.
Besides, you can't predict what'll happen at AS. Getting good GCSEs does not suggest that AS grades will also be high- people pin their hopes on a university far too early, resulting in bitter disappointment and the overwhelming urge to come onto TSR and cry about it.
Publicly calling them bad is inconsiderate to people with lower grades.

However, being upset is a good thing (so long as it's inwardly rather than outwardly directed). It just means they have higher ambitions.
Original post by alexh42
I got 3 Ds 1 E 1 B and 3 Cs and I still got into a top 15 uni haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This! :biggrin: Good on you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tgwktm
i think the pressure for getting perfect gcse grades has gone up too much. it is A levels universities are most interested in, it annoys me a bit too. i got 2 A*'s 5 A's and 2 B's and i was so happy with that

I got very similar results with 2A*'s, 6A's and 2B's and was told that I would be a weak Oxbridge candidate - the pressure has increased so much that I felt my ambitions were unattainable... We live in an elitist culture where only the best is good enough. I feel sorry for our generation :frown:
Original post by Typhoon235
There are other decent universities that offer those courses. I fail to see why people seem to think Oxbridge are the only decent universities in the country.
Besides, you can't predict what'll happen at AS. Getting good GCSEs does not suggest that AS grades will also be high- people pin their hopes on a university far too early, resulting in bitter disappointment and the overwhelming urge to come onto TSR and cry about it.

Medicine and dentistry are equally difficult to get into at any university, the average accepted applicant has 5A*s+. Not getting straight A*/A grades for medicine/dentistry makes it much much harder to get in
Reply 66
In reality GCSE's mean absolutely nothing in the real world. It's what you do after that matters.
Original post by colourtheory
I got very similar results with 2A*'s, 6A's and 2B's and was told that I would be a weak Oxbridge candidate - the pressure has increased so much that I felt my ambitions were unattainable... We live in an elitist culture where only the best is good enough. I feel sorry for our generation :frown:

No this is just TSR. Everybody else would know it's not the end of the world if you don't get into Oxbridge
Reply 68
Original post by colourtheory

me too, far too much pressure is put on youngsters, even children in primary school worry about not doing well enough in sat's or whatever they are called now, children as young as 4 are being diagnosed with stress disorders. it isn't right.
It is about context. If someone has been struggling all year and comes out with 8Cs then they should be proud of that achievement. If someone has been doing great all year and comes out with 9As they may be disappointed with it, justifiably, because they'd been working towards A*s. I have the top grade possible for english literature but got way less UMS than I'd been predicted, and so I'm not too happy with it, because I need good UMS for Cambridge. But most people would be delighted with my grade. Context.
Reply 70
im not sure, but for some people with high grades, for the effort and time they put in all As isnt enough, atleast some A*s are needed
I would say it more depends on the subject I was doing to what grade I would have been upset with so in chemistry and history I was upset with an A as I really felt like I should have and was capable of getting an A* but yet when I got a C in music I was so very happy, but to be fair As shouldn't be said as 'bad' grades in anyway, there is a difference between a bad grade and a disapointing grade, getting straight As or even mostly As with some Bs are in no way 'bad' so I would think that the problem is more with the wording, and for someone to put all their hopes on going to oxbridge is suicidal, I've known fantastic students get turned down who basically got all A*s at GCSEs, so you've got to at least have a back up plan and other than those unis and some courses like medicine they don't even look that much at GCSEs, maybe just glance over it.
Because when you try your best to achieve a certain grade and you get lower you feel as if you're not good enough. Personally, it makes me loose self respect. Also I come from a very long line of incredibly high achievers, while I know I probably won't be able to exceed- or even match expectations set out for me by family member, it still doesn't stop me from trying
I find it odd that people cry about grades at all.
Reply 74
I did ****ty only 6 A* and 4 A. How can i do dentistry with these? And yes I did cry.
I suppose it is just people's opinions and expectations of themselves. In my school in NI, about half the year don't get hood results so all I was aiming for were Cs to get back into sixth form.
I ended up getting an A, 3Bs and 5Cs and being one of the top achievers. I was delighted and so were so many people that didn't believe I would get an A

Posted from TSR Mobile
Because people want to be the very best, like no one ever was. To get high grades in all their tests (and train for them) is their cause.
I got mainly Bs and one A when I did my GCSE. For my school I had damn good results, my GCSE grades have never come up since.

I can understand the pressure some students may face but As are great and I think a lot of the people on here are over-reacting.

The only thing I'm disappointed in my grades for now is that I was contemplating doing graduate medicine but since it's so competitive I'd probably be over looked due to my grades (and lack of GCSE science). But I'm not disappointed in my ability as exams I took when I was 12-1 years old hold no candle over who I am now or what I can do now.
Original post by King Max
^^^THIS^^^
This man KNOWS. I reckon these whiners are public school kids too! I'm a product of the state, not perfect but i've done well and don't cry if I get good grades.

Public school kids tend not to need the grades to become successful (daddy's company syndrome), its us 'products of the state' who have everything to prove.

(becoming PM sounds good though - apart from the ****ing the country part)
Why cry over grades you didn't get/expect because they are already to be and there is little you can do about it? Just think other people were able to know your grades before you did - Haha.

Latest