The Student Room Group

Why are people crying over high grades?

I'm amazed and also slightly irritated by the number of people who've just got GCSE results and are coming on here complaining that despite the fact they have nearly all As, they consider themselves to have done badly.

What the hell is that all about? I did my GCSEs 2 years ago and I got nearly all As with 2Bs. I was overjoyed with that. But by some standards on here I should have been crying and sinking into depression.

Seriously, if you have grades like As then there is no problem. It's probably not going to affect your chances at uni too much as they mainly look at AS grades. I really don't understand why people are getting so worked up over this.

I'm sorry I had to make this thread. It probably makes me look a bit of an idiot but I don't care, somebody had to say it.

TLDR Version- stop crying over good results! How do you think the people who got grades like Bs and Cs must feel if you're thinking your grades are bad?

Rant over, carry on.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Because people want all A*s, so they can keep their oxbridge dream alive, and then become an MP and snake their way into the cabinet, eagerly waiting to be PM to **** the uk and the rest of the world over for their own selfish hunger of power and money.

That's why.

Excuse the poor english.
Welcome to TSR :biggrin:
Original post by godd
Because people want all A*s, so they can keep their oxbridge dream alive, and then become an MP and snake their way into the cabinet, eagerly waiting to be PM to **** the uk and the rest of the world over for their own selfish hunger of power and money.

That's why.

Excuse the poor english.

^^^THIS^^^
This man KNOWS. I reckon these whiners are public school kids too! I'm a product of the state, not perfect but i've done well and don't cry if I get good grades.
Reply 4
Original post by Typhoon235
I'm amazed and also slightly irritated by the number of people who've just got GCSE results and are coming on here complaining that despite the fact they have nearly all As, they consider themselves to have done badly.

What the hell is that all about? I did my GCSEs 2 years ago and I got nearly all As with 2Bs. I was overjoyed with that. But by some standards on here I should have been crying and sinking into depression.

Seriously, if you have grades like As then there is no problem. It's probably not going to affect your chances at uni too much as they mainly look at AS grades. I really don't understand why people are getting so worked up over this.

I'm sorry I had to make this thread. It probably makes me look a bit of an idiot but I don't care, somebody had to say it.

TLDR Version- stop crying over good results! How do you think the people who got grades like Bs and Cs must feel if you're thinking your grades are bad?

Rant over, carry on.

i think the pressure for getting perfect gcse grades has gone up too much. it is A levels universities are most interested in, it annoys me a bit too. i got 2 A*'s 5 A's and 2 B's and i was so happy with that
I'm angry that mine had a clear error, not the fact it wasn't as high as I expected- it should've been an A*. I don't mind the fact I didn't get as many A*s as I'd hoped and got 5 B's.
Come on most people will obviously complain if they worked. I worked my butt off so I could get that A* in one subject but when you get a lower grade you feel gutted because all that extra work was for nothing. It's more annoying when there's people expecting for good grades from you, like your parents, family, teachers and friends. Also, the stress you got from all those exams.
Because what's good for one person might not be great for another person? I remember being really disappointed in getting an A in Physics because I'd been told I was capable of an A* and I thought it had gone well. But to someone who was told they were unlikely to even get a C, getting an A is a really amazing acheivement.

And things always seem more important than they are when you're at that stage. You think GCSEs are the be all and end all when you're doing them, then you think A-levels are important and GCSEs don't matter, and then you think a degree is the most important thing and realise A-levels weren't all that important or useful either. So to someone who was perhaps expecting A*s and achieving Bs, it really can feel like the end of the world despite the fact that a B isn't a bad grade.
(edited 9 years ago)
Different people have different expectations. If they are not satisfied with their grades, they're not satisfied. Only because you might think someone's grades are good and they shouldn't be upset - doesn't mean they can not think otherwise!

It all comes down to a matter of opinion at the end of the day and if someone wants to cry, let them cry - don't shoot them down for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Frodokins
Different people have different expectations. If they are not satisfied with their grades, they're not satisfied. Only because you might think someone's grades are good and they shouldn't be upset - doesn't mean they can not think otherwise!

It all comes down to a matter of opinion at the end of the day and if someone wants to cry, let them cry - don't shoot them down for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I struggle to understand why or how somebody could possible be upset with As. Back in sixth form we had a few things happen like this, me and my friends would see somebody crying on the corridor and then realise they were crying because they didn't quite get an A* in a mock test.
None of us could understand why it was a problem, and the same thing applies here.
I don't understand why slightly lower yet still high grades are a problem. It's not like anyone's missing uni offers here! What is it most colleges and sixth forms want for entry? About 5 GCSEs at B or above. Shows how valued GCSEs really are.
Everyone has there own goals and if you don't meet them you're bound to feel slightly upset that you didn't do as well as you could have.
Reply 11
Because they want attention
Original post by Selgomez11
Come on most people will obviously complain if they worked. I worked my butt off so I could get that A* in one subject but when you get a lower grade you feel gutted because all that extra work was for nothing. It's more annoying when there's people expecting for good grades from you, like your parents, family, teachers and friends. Also, the stress you got from all those exams.

This is exactly how I feel, I worked so hard for all my subjects, I was hoping to get an A* in chemistry and I ended up with an A
This is freaking me out for year 10, and I honestly want to reach As. Stop ranting over these type of grades, it puts me down.
Original post by inachigeek21
This is freaking me out for year 10, and I honestly want to reach As. Stop ranting over these type of grades, it puts me down.

Aim for the stars!
Original post by EastGuava
Aim for the stars!

Thank you, but how does year 10 even work?
Original post by inachigeek21
Thank you, but how does year 10 even work?

Oh, I didn't realise you're not even in Year 10 yet. You probably won't do many (or any) exams in Year 10 so I don't think you need to do much other than staying on top of your work and working hard for controlled assessments/coursework. You've got nothing to worry about...yet. :tongue:
Original post by EastGuava
Oh, I didn't realise you're not even in Year 10 yet. You probably won't do many (or any) exams in Year 10 so I don't think you need to do much other than staying on top of your work and working hard for controlled assessments/coursework. You've got nothing to worry about...yet. :tongue:

An, thank you for the information. It was kind of a relief. And yes, year 11 I'll be panicking and revising continuously.
I agree, people on here are overtly dramatic. However, I am gonna keep some faith and think people are crying because they are overjoyed 'cause they worked hard.

However, they also have me fooled as to why they are upset with 7A*s and 9As is beyond a joke.
I got 3 Ds 1 E 1 B and 3 Cs and I still got into a top 15 uni haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest