The Student Room Group

A* in AQA A2 Chemistry and Biology - my tips.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nav_Mallhi
Nope, the AQA site only goes back until 2010 but those questions go way back. :smile:

YES! That's exactly what I needed! Thank you SO much :h:
Reply 61
Everyone is different so not everything OP said will apply to you. Do spend time to see what works with you.
Original post by Trainz
Everyone is different so not everything OP said will apply to you. Do spend time to see what works with you.

Which is why I clearly said "This is by no means a guide. . .". They are just my tips.
Reply 63
Which is why I clearly said "This is by no means a guide. . .". They are just my tips.

I guess my reading skills have gotten worse. Oh well, no harm done.
Can I use the past papers from the 1990s for the edexcel exam board?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Itsmonique
Can I use the past papers from the 1990s for the edexcel exam board?

Posted from TSR Mobile

As long as the questions are relevant to your syllabus and you have the time then I do not see any reason not to.
As long as the questions are relevant to your syllabus and you have the time then I do not see any reason not to.

Ok thank you! I just can't seem to find any of those papers for AQA

Hi!:smile: thanks for all the great tips. In terms of past papers for AQA chemistry how far back did you go? Also when do you recommend is the best time to do past paper questions as they are obviously limited- do you recommend doing them throughout the year or near exam time?
Original post by Itsmonique
Ok thank you! I just can't seem to find any of those papers for AQA

Have you tried Xtreme papers?

Original post by Rubicon1
Hi!:smile: thanks for all the great tips. In terms of past papers for AQA chemistry how far back did you go? Also when do you recommend is the best time to do past paper questions as they are obviously limited- do you recommend doing them throughout the year or near exam time?

You're welcome. :smile: I went as far back as the 90s. I don't know if you can get access to them online because our teacher used to print them off for us. He had been teaching for a very long time and had a whole collection for them.
I started doing past papers as soon as I had covered the whole syllabus and was sure that I fully understood it. This was around Feb/March time. I also re-did some papers especially the recent ones.

Original post by Jatyization
When did you start past papers Nav? :smile:

See above. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jatyization
Oh wow that sounds good! So did you start newer past papers then or just the older ones? Is it possible you can upload some 90s papers if you have access to them... it would meen a lot. And thanks for all your help :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

At first I started the older papers just to get a hang of the types of questions and to test my understanding. Older questions tend to be more straightforward, by that I mean there is less if any, application. They are just straight forward knowledge questions.
I'm at university now so I don't have any of my A level things. When I go home I'll check to see if I have them. I will apologise in advance if I haven't got them because I did throw a lot of things away after results day. :biggrin:
Your wonderful thank you! very much I'm using your tips and advice even though my exam board is OCR, the content is similar in many areas. May I ask what your doing now?
Reply 71
Would you recommend memorising mark scheme answers for some questions?
Reply 72
Original post by cocopopsrocks
Your wonderful thank you! very much I'm using your tips and advice even though my exam board is OCR, the content is similar in many areas. May I ask what your doing now?

She's doing dentistry.
I am so late to this thread! But thank you soo much! :biggrin:
Original post by zed963
Would you recommend memorising mark scheme answers for some questions?

Yes definitely! Particularly for definitions and questions that require textbook, word-for-word answers. :smile:
Original post by JamJam87
I am so late to this thread! But thank you soo much! :biggrin:

You're very welcome. :smile:
YES! I cannot stress how important past papers are. If you have done them once, do them again! And don't limit yourself to only your exam board. Do papers from other exam boards. I did OCR and edexcel papers as well as AQA - it's extra practise. Do the old past papers too. I did papers dating back to the 90s. Note down the questions that come up year after year and memorise their answers thoroughly. Memorise the exact phrase that they want and make sure you write that, word for word. This particularly applies to definitions in chemistry and short answer questions in biology.

Best of luck. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

where did you get these papers (for chemistry) from the 90s? thanks
Reply 77
Hi. I'm really struggling woth grasping application questions in biology they r the reason I keep flopping. I need minimum A to get into dentistry so please please please help on how to answer application
Original post by Thereisnospoon!
where did you get these papers (for chemistry) from the 90s? thanks

All the links are in the first post. Knock yourself out. :biggrin:
Original post by Jennn1
Hi. I'm really struggling woth grasping application questions in biology they r the reason I keep flopping. I need minimum A to get into dentistry so please please please help on how to answer application

Hiya!

Many people struggle with application questions, you are not alone. The trick is to do as many practice questions as possible. I have provided a few links in the original post to some great websites with practice questions. Make sure you take time to think through the answers to questions. Don't just do questions for the sake of doing them, make sure you understand them too! If you don't get something, ask someone. A lot of people freak out when they see application questions when really there isn't that much to worry about. It's just a little thinking-out-of-the-box coupled with a lot of common sense and basic scientific knowledge. As I said, take your time to figure out the answer - perseverance is the key! Don't give up. :smile:

Best of luck with your studies and dental application. If you need help with either of them, feel free to ask me! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending