The Student Room Group

The friend who failed at life.

Just to cut it short because I'm knackered and want to get to sleep asap:

2 years ago.

We took our GCSE's.
Friend fails miserably. I heard E's F's G's and U's. But I've never been told, even though I'm supposed to be one of his best friends.

Now.

Friend is a lazy ass who doesn't do anything but bar work 3 days a week and plays computer games.

Basically, he needs some direction in life, and I've been trying to suggest what he can do (like Adult Ed or enrolling into College), but he's too fracking lazy.

He wants a steady job, I don't think he's quite aware he needs some qualifications to get anything reasonable (he has no talent that I know of, so there's no luck in striking lucky).

Help on what he can do.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Stop being lazy? I'm sorry but I've got no sympathy for people like him, tell him to get off his arse and work hard like the rest of us.

Recipe for success in life:

Hard work + dedication + time = success
Respect for using the word fracking. Excellent alternative!
Reply 3
Tabris
Just to cut it short because I'm knackered and want to get to sleep asap:

2 years ago.

We took our GCSE's.
Friend fails miserably. I heard E's F's G's and U's. But I've never been told, even though I'm supposed to be one of his best friends.

Now.

Friend is a lazy ass who doesn't do anything but bar work 3 days a week and plays computer games.

Basically, he needs some direction in life, and I've been trying to suggest what he can do (like Adult Ed or enrolling into College), but he's too fracking lazy.

He wants a steady job, I don't think he's quite aware he needs some qualifications to get anything reasonable (he has no talent that I know of, so there's no luck in striking lucky).

Help on what he can do.

Ancient man used to do okay roaming the plains of africa forraging for nuts and berries without the need for adult ed or college and didn't feel like they were failing. how do you know that he isnt succeeding in his own way at life and you're the one failing?
Tabris

Sounds like he has found his niche in life.:rolleyes:
I hope he likes living in council housing.
fundamentally
Sounds like he has found his niche in life.:rolleyes:
I hope he likes living in council housing.

Some of the council houses in my city are new, cheap to live in and maintained cheaply as well... I'D like to live in one!
Have you told him what a waster he is? If not, maybe you should. The 'reality check' option might be the only way forward here.
Tabris

Replace 'bar work' with 'lectures' and that would describe me perfectly lol. If he is happy, leave him be. If he wants a steady job then he has found his direction.

Jaded
Your friend needs a Big wake-up call. Tell him to stop being Lazy and get a job like the rest of us are doing.
Reply 9
Tell him to get off his fat lazy ass, and do something about it. People never fail to amaze me.
x Sara
Your friend needs a Big wake-up call. Tell him to stop being Lazy and get a job like the rest of us are doing.

He has one...
Reply 11
Yeah, he's now got the impression he might be able to go to Uni because a workmate of his said he'd be able to get in with just a portfolio and nothing else.

It didn't really settle in when I told him he's pretty much failed at life and with what his workmate telling him stuff like that. Well, the fog is just getting thicker. Unless he can get into something like a polytechnic. I don't know.
Reply 12
I don't really, and he wouldn't want to go to the uni's I go to anyway. He thinks he can though (get into a Uni)
Reply 13
Your friend is old enough to make his own lifestyle choices. He has a job. Who are you to tell him that bar work is not reasonable? You seem to think that everyone needs to go to uni or college. Higher education is not for everyone. Making it something that everyone should have is what reduces the value of a degree in first place.

Whatever he will do it needs to come from him. You may drop a prospectous of a local college or encourage him to have a look on job centre website if he wants to work a bit more then 3 days a week but do not pressure him. Maybe training o the job is something that he would be more inclined to do. Local conecctions office can give him some advice.
Reply 14
belis
Your friend is old enough to make his own lifestyle choices. He has a job. Who are you to tell him that bar work is not reasonable? You seem to think that everyone needs to go to uni or college. Higher education is not for everyone. Making it something that everyone should have is what reduces the value of a degree in first place.

Whatever he will do it needs to come from him. You may drop a prospectous of a local college or encourage him to have a look on job centre website if he wants to work a bit more then 3 days a week but do not pressure him. Maybe training o the job is something that he would be more inclined to do. Local conecctions office can give him some advice.

I'm not, he tells me about how he's going to get stuck in a dead end job as a 'monkey' and how he wants a job that pays something like 20k+ a year, but blames his situation on anything but himself.

I've suggested things like the local connexions office for advice, but to be honest, he can't really be bothered to do that. He couldn't even be bothered to go in for his jobseeker's allowance.
Totally agree with Belis...

If everyone had the same aspirations it would be a boring world, some people are content to sit around all day. Not for me, i like to feel i've acheived something...

Just leave him, people usually find inspiration on their own
Reply 16
I'm not, he tells me about how he's going to get stuck in a dead end job as a 'monkey' and how he wants a job that pays something like 20k+ a year, but blames his situation on anything but himself.

I've suggested things like the local connexions office for advice, but to be honest, he can't really be bothered to do that. He couldn't even be bothered to go in for his jobseeker's allowance.

Your friend is either a bit silly hoping for a graduate salary without proper GCSEs or simply does not want to admit that he is in trouble as a form of protection mechanism. What is he bleming if not himself?

I thought that he works in a bar so is he entaitled to jobseeker's allowance? Where does he get money for rent, food etc? If his parents are still helping him out I would say that the best eye opener for him would be for them to stop.

Your friend sounds interesting lol. Anyway I think that you have done enough. He is very lucky to have such a good friend who cares more about his future then he does himself.
Reply 17
belis
Your friend is either a bit silly hoping for a graduate salary without proper GCSEs or simply does not want to admit that he is in trouble as a form of protection mechanism. What is he bleming if not himself?

I thought that he works in a bar so is he entaitled to jobseeker's allowance? Where does he get money for rent, food etc? If his parents are still helping him out I would say that the best eye opener for him would be for them to stop.

Your friend sounds interesting lol. Anyway I think that you have done enough. He is very lucky to have such a good friend who cares more about his future then he does himself.

Usually; his parents, because he had some listening problem apparently which nobody knew about and that should have been fixed, jokingly says it's us (his friends and girlfriend at the time) for not motivating him even though we did try. Can't think of any more off of the top of my head.

He missed the interview before he got the bar work, he only started about 2 and a half weeks ago. It's quite a revelation since he hasn't been bothered to hold a job for more than half a week since he finished his GCSE's 2 and a bit years ago.

He's still with his parents, they've tried cutting him off before but they always yield to him and get something new or just leave him as is.

The-Lennon
tbh higher education IS for anyone cos its so easy. But it really makes no difference whether you go to uni or not these days. In 3 years time.. I bet you'll have a similar job to your friend... or he'll be much further ahead of you..... doing something entrepreneurial while you're striving to get a crappy graduate job.

hes only got the educational level of Richard Branson.... I guess he'll never succeed.

The funniest thing about that post is that I've said that to him numerous times. I always say to him, "I bet you that I end up in a gutter and you'll end up a millionaire or something."

But just because he has the educational level of Richard Branson, doesn't mean that he is, or will be like him. I'd be happy if he was because then he wouldn't have to struggle for the rest of his life.
The-Lennon
tbh higher education IS for anyone cos its so easy. But it really makes no difference whether you go to uni or not these days.

That is a lot of truth behind that statment. Only go to univeristy if your sure you can get at least a 2:2 and get involved in a lot of extra curicular stuff. If not it can be completely counter productive and i'm not just talking about the £12k + debt.
Reply 19
The-Lennon
how old is this guy?

Turned 18 the July that just passed.

Latest

Trending

Trending