The Student Room Group

Can I sit Year12 for the third time without paying ?

I understand I have been extremely stupid for the past two years, and wasted most of my time, although I do have some extenuating circumstances. I started year 12 in September 2012, retook it last September too (2013), but i still do not have the grades I need/want. I know it is all my fault. I know my school will not accept me to sit year 12 again. I just want to know whether or not a sixth form or college can accept me, so I can hopefully sit year 12 (AS) and year 13 the year after (A2) without me paying?

the biggest concern I have is that if I will not be funded by the government. can someone please help explain.

thank you
Reply 1
Hiya. If you're under 18 (I think) you can apply to a college and not have to pay :smile:
Original post by tnfr123
I understand I have been extremely stupid for the past two years, and wasted most of my time, although I do have some extenuating circumstances. I started year 12 in September 2012, retook it last September too (2013), but i still do not have the grades I need/want. I know it is all my fault. I know my school will not accept me to sit year 12 again. I just want to know whether or not a sixth form or college can accept me, so I can hopefully sit year 12 (AS) and year 13 the year after (A2) without me paying?

the biggest concern I have is that if I will not be funded by the government. can someone please help explain.

thank you

If you're under twenty- which I'm pretty sure you are. FE without fees applies 16-20, if the person is full time education. So yes, if you applied to a college to start the A Level programme again this Sept you will get the course free. That is what I'm doing, and I'm 18. :smile:
Reply 3
bump
I doubt you would get it for free tbh. I think it's then classified as Adult learning.
Reply 5
i'm in the same boat. left school in 2011, started college in 2011, dropped out, started again at another college in 2012, made it into my a2 year there by the skin of my teeth, and now i've messed that up. i'm hoping to retake two of my three a2 courses and i'm worried the sixth form (i have to go to a sixth form instead of a college because they do the same exam boards as my previous college, and i'm certainly not going back there after this embarrassment) won't accept me.
i'm not sure if it'll cost, i'm worried about this too. i can't find much info on it anywhere. i'm 19 so i don't know if being over 18 will mean i have to pay, i also don't know if my two passes will mean that i'm already qualified and thus can't get free education, even though they're really poor passes. very worried.
i did read that your council will cover your fees if you're on employment and support allowance, which i claimed due to extenuating circumstances. i'm hoping that'll mean i'm entitled to fee remission.
even if you do have to pay though, i'm sure there'll be some sort of financing like there is for uni.
as for getting in to college/ sixth form, i wouldn't worry too much. i'm worried myself but let's face it: bums on seats = £££ for that college, and so long as you can convince them you're capable of getting any higher than a U, they'll be able to tell everybody they have a "99% pass rate".
best of luck anyways! you're the second person i've found who's doing the same thing i am. it's actually pretty comforting haha.
Reply 6
i forgot to mention; it would be worth contacting your local council and asking them to put you in touch with someone who deals with further education or something. that's what i'm planning to do. and by me i mean my mam.
What grades did you exactly get? also what are the circumstances?
Reply 8
Original post by crayolaguy
What grades did you exactly get? also what are the circumstances?

U,E,D
my mother underwent surgery last year, so I had to spend most days at home with her during april may time. this year i underwent depression over a number of things

I just want to know whether or not a college or sixth form will enroll me for A levels without me paying

thanks
Reply 9
bump again.
cant someone please help

Quick Reply

Latest