The Student Room Group

Will the uni i like still take me?

I'm in clearing, and am waiting for the result of a priority remark that i sent off on A level results day. A uni i looked at in clearing said they would take me if my remark came back as expected - I only need the remark to go up by 1 mark to meet their minimum requirement for taking students on.

But the problem is that the uni has now stopped taking students on in clearing...I tried to get them to hold a place for me while i got the result of my remark back but they said that they do not do that.

So my question is, if my remark comes back as expected, then is there anything i can do to persuade the uni to take me on? Will i have to speak to someone with the authority to make that decision? If so who would that be?

Thanks
Original post by theformula
I'm in clearing, and am waiting for the result of a priority remark that i sent off on A level results day. A uni i looked at in clearing said they would take me if my remark came back as expected - I only need the remark to go up by 1 mark to meet their minimum requirement for taking students on.

But the problem is that the uni has now stopped taking students on in clearing...I tried to get them to hold a place for me while i got the result of my remark back but they said that they do not do that.

So my question is, if my remark comes back as expected, then is there anything i can do to persuade the uni to take me on? Will i have to speak to someone with the authority to make that decision? If so who would that be?

Thanks

I'm afraid they won't wait for you, because they can pick up other people who already have what you hope to have. I'd keep looking around on the basis of what you currently have.
Reply 2
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
I'm afraid they won't wait for you, because they can pick up other people who already have what you hope to have. I'd keep looking around on the basis of what you currently have.

But if my result does come back as expected, will i be able to persuade them to take me even though they closed clearing, given my situation?
But if my result does come back as expected, will i be able to persuade them to take me even though they closed clearing, given my situation?

They have told you they won't keep a place, have they not?
Reply 4
They have told you they won't keep a place, have they not?

correct, but can't someone with the authority offer me a place?

Not if there aren't any places left. They can't magic them up out of nothing.
Reply 6

Why would they? They've already filled all of their spaces.
Reply 7
Original post by alow
Why would they? They've already filled all of their spaces.

But couldn't there be a chance that they have not filled up ALL their spaces on that course?
But couldn't there be a chance that they have not filled up ALL their spaces on that course?

You yourself told us that they have stopped taking people on the course. Is this not so?
Reply 9
You yourself told us that they have stopped taking people on the course. Is this not so?

Yes i did, but what if someone in a higher position has the authority to make a decision to offer me a place, just in case they have like 1 or 2 places left. They have closed clearing, but could it be the case that it is not worth them keeping phone lines open for the sake of a few places?
Yes i did, but what if someone in a higher position has the authority to make a decision to offer me a place, just in case they have like 1 or 2 places left. They have closed clearing, but could it be the case that it is not worth them keeping phone lines open for the sake of a few places?

If they have closed the phone lines, then they have filled the places. They don't have one or two places left. I'm not sure who you think this person in higher authority is who has the power to create places when those in charge of the system have closed it down, but you are only setting yourself up for a disappointment if you won't accept their word for it that there are no more places left. You would be much better off looking elsewhere while there is still time.
Reply 11
If they have closed the phone lines, then they have filled the places. They don't have one or two places left. I'm not sure who you think this person in higher authority is who has the power to create places when those in charge of the system have closed it down, but you are only setting yourself up for a disappointment if you won't accept their word for it that there are no more places left. You would be much better off looking elsewhere while there is still time.

Only problem is, i liked that Uni, and i have been looking at others since the day of results, but I am waiting for my remark to come back. I am fairly certain the paper i sent for a remark was marked wrong and the frustrating thing is i am only 1 mark off the grade i needed for this uni in clearing.
Other good uni's have either stopped clearing or had slightly higher grade requirements so i don't really know what i'm going to do once the remark comes back...
Only problem is, i liked that Uni, and i have been looking at others since the day of results, but I am waiting for my remark to come back. I am fairly certain the paper i sent for a remark was marked wrong and the frustrating thing is i am only 1 mark off the grade i needed for this uni in clearing.
Other good uni's have either stopped clearing or had slightly higher grade requirements so i don't really know what i'm going to do once the remark comes back...

Well, be aware that remarks don't automatically give the result you want and that scripts closest to the boundaries are the ones most closely scrutinised before the result is issued. I can totally understand your frustration, but prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Gap year, retakes and reapplication seem the best courses of action.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending