The Student Room Group

Why is criticising Islam "Racist"?

Here's the oxford dictionary definition for racism

1The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races:

Nothing is mentioned about religion, last time I checked Islam is a religion and not a racial identity. Religion is a personal choice, how come all other religions can be criticised, including Christianity, Buddhism, Hinduism etc without any repercussions but criticising Islam is apparently racist and you can receive death threats for it.

We are free and democratic country, that means you are free to believe in whatever you like but other people are allowed to debate religion without being called a "racist" or "bigot" taking away debate about religion because of fear of being called a racist is like taking away free speech,
Being a certain race isn't choice it's something you cannot change, religion to most people is free choice so criticism & debate should be encouraged.

Scroll to see replies

Because those that use the word "racist" don't actually know what it means. It is simply a go to response when they don't like you criticising their religion.
because some muslims know that we are happy ridiculing faith and they don't like that and want Islam to be given special status and be immune from this ridicule but rather than just admit this they play the 'racism' card.

It used to work but no longer
Reply 3
people just get annoyed due to the huge amount of offensive criticism muslims receive.

whats more, typically, people other religions challenging islam are extremely hypocritical. For example, Christians often criticise Islam for 'promoting violence' when, despite there being 16 arabic words for sword, none are mentioned in the quran, not even once. In the bible, by contrast, the word sword is mentioned over 200 times.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Radicalathiest
because some muslims know that we are happy ridiculing faith and they don't like that and want Islam to be given special status and be immune from this ridicule but rather than just admit this they play the 'racism' card.

It used to work but no longer

why do you ridicule faith in the first place, why not just let others and yourself live in peace?
Reply 5
Guys, I'm gonna say to you what I say to every person who criticises another persons religion or lack of one.

Just..be cool, ok?
Reply 6
Original post by vickidc18
Here's the oxford dictionary definition for racism

1The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races:

Nothing is mentioned about religion, last time I checked Islam is a religion and not a racial identity. Religion is a personal choice, how come all other religions can be criticised, including Christianity, Buddhism, Hinduism etc without any repercussions but criticising Islam is apparently racist and you can receive death threats for it.

We are free and democratic country, that means you are free to believe in whatever you like but other people are allowed to debate religion without being called a "racist" or "bigot" taking away debate about religion because of fear of being called a racist is like taking away free speech,
Being a certain race isn't choice it's something you cannot change, religion to most people is free choice so criticism & debate should be encouraged.

What do you picture when you someone says "a Muslim person"? What is the first image that comes into your brain?

A white person, a black person, a yellow person or a brown person...

Depending on the place where you live, it could be either one of the those which overall does not make it "racist" but what could be considered to be "racist" is taking the actions of people within the group and attributing it to the group as a whole.

Let's take a practical example: Someone says "Muslims stink" and claims that this is not racist. Indeed, it may not be overtly racist but if it is based on the Pakistani community, then that is racist.

Similarly, those that say that "Muslims should go back to their own country" are not being overtly racist but if they have based that assertion on say the Arabs, then that can be considered to be racism.
Reply 7
Because white people with the same views but aren't Muslim don't get nearly as much **** as Middle Eastern Muslims (I don't want to start an argument because I've had this argument on here yesterday)
Original post by muzman
why do you ridicule faith in the first place, why not just let others and yourself live in peace?

because it deserves ridicule and when the faithful let everyone else live in peace we may change the way we act towards the faithful

Could be worse we could take a leaf out of gods book but were not that cruel and vicious
Because the west has to pander to superstition... am off to play with my tarot cards now :rolleyes:
Reply 10
because it deserves ridicule and when the faithful let everyone else live in peace we may change the way we act towards the faithful

Could be worse we could take a leaf out of gods book but were not that cruel and vicious

why are you attributing Islam to violence. Islam does not teach violence. Stop taking your feelings out at a religion.
Reply 11
It isn't.
It's a cop out.
Original post by muzman
why are you attributing Islam to violence. Islam does not teach violence. Stop taking your feelings out at a religion.

Didn't mention islam in my post but islam is associated with violence because of the actions of muslims

you want our perception of Islam to change then change Islam and muslims and stop them from being violent

simple really but not related to the fact that ridicule of faith is part of my culture and I'm not going to change that for any faith community
Reply 13
Didn't mention islam in my post but islam is associated with violence because of the actions of muslims

you want our perception of Islam to change then change Islam and muslims and stop them from being violent

simple really but not related to the fact that ridicule of faith is part of my culture and I'm not going to change that for any faith community

Josef Stalin was an athiest and he massacred millions; you can't base your opinion of a religion/demographic/whatever on a few bad eggs
I dislike the special treatment giving to Islam but other religions don't retaliate in violence...
Reply 15
Original post by tsr1269
What do you picture when you someone says "a Muslim person"? What is the first image that comes into your brain?

A white person, a black person, a yellow person or a brown person...

Depending on the place where you live, it could be either one of the those which overall does not make it "racist" but what could be considered to be "racist" is taking the actions of people within the group and attributing it to the group as a whole.

Let's take a practical example: Someone says "Muslims stink" and claims that this is not racist. Indeed, it may not be overtly racist but if it is based on the Pakistani community, then that is racist.

Similarly, those that say that "Muslims should go back to their own country" are not being overtly racist but if they have based that assertion on say the Arabs, then that can be considered to be racism.

There are muslims of all race's the largest muslim country is Indonesia who typically look south east asian, muslims come from all races
Original post by 08jogon
Josef Stalin was an athiest and he massacred millions; you can't base your opinion of a religion/demographic/whatever on a few bad eggs

Bad comparison
Reply 17
Original post by h3isenberg
Bad comparison

Why?
Reply 18
It's a cheap way to curb criticism... nothing more.
It isn't...just depends how you do it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending